1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

No I do agree on that, it doesn't affect the 12 up to this point. I guess the point I was attempting to rant about was I'm just sick and tired of seeing it pop up everywhere. And I am all too aware that by ranting about it, I've made it pop up here as well.

I know. My badly worded rant was more a direct return to the stuff I've read. If a little girl has just acquired a role model she didn't have before, then logically a little boy must have lost one. Just like boys can have female role models, so can little girls have male role models etc etc.

2. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Especially now with the ASA clamping down on gender stereotypes

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

That "logic" is flawed, though, isn't it? It's not a zero-sum game: both the boy and girl now have a new role model. All of the role models who went before still exist.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Most of my role models are women. When my dad died the women in my family all became very motherly and my family really did pull together (well, one half). I had an uncle who used to take me on holidays and stuff, so he's pretty much become my dad. When I was a kid I used to send him father's day cards.

But yeah, spent most of my life looking up to women and being taught by them. Which is no bad thing, I can sew a mean stitch :D

5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Shouldn't role models be role models because they do something amazing/are strong and empowering? What does sex or gender have anything to do with it? If people don't like doctor 13 then they can go re-watch doctors 1 through 12.

But this is all off topic, lets move onto supporting people with what really is life ruining.

6. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Order status

Delivery Expected - Tuesday 18/07/2017

Need that doctors tardis I think

7. noizdaemon666

You're missing the point. That sentence is my flawed counter-argument to the flawed argument that little girls can now finally have a role model in the doctor whereas they couldn't before (according to rubbish I've been reading) as the Doctor was male.

In essence, I am agreeing with you :)

Oh and @proxess what happens when we get the 14th Doctor? If people miss 13, it would be akin to missing 9. All sorts of re-writes to canon storylines etc could happen through 13's era.

8. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

That's their loss, isn't it? :)

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's about representation in the media, which is a very real thing. The point of a role model - rather than just someone you look up to - is that you see yourself in that role, you aspire to be in that role. The more different the person in that role is from you, the harder it is to do that.

A girl can look up to a male Doctor Who no problem and could envision herself accompanying him on his adventures, but she is unlikely to imagine herself as Doctor Who in the same way a boy would. Girls could imagine being Wonder Woman in a way they can't imagine being Superman, just as boys could imagine being Superman in a way they can't imagine being Wonder Woman.

Now, we're talking here a fifty-year (with gaps) programme which has had, to date, 12 men in its titular role. Having a woman in it now gives it a 12-to-1 ratio of men-to-women, which I'm sure you'll agree is far from the gender makeup of the population at large (or even actual doctors, two-hearted time-travellers or otherwise). It means girls being told "see, you can be in charge and travel through space and time, you don't have to be a sidekick."

If boys now can't see themselves as Doctor Who, that's unfortunate - but they've had 50 years of playing Doctor Who, let's let the other half of the population have a go, eh? I have two kids: you better believe I know about fair sharing, and 12-to-1 ain't fair sharing. When Doctors Who 13-through-25 have all been cast as women, then we can chat about fair.

10. noizdaemon666

I never said a female shouldn't be the Doctor.

Nor did I say anything about anything being fair.

And I have 3 kids and none of them are interested in Doctor Who (random fact inserted).

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No, what you said was:
    I then explained why "little girls can now finally have a role model in the Doctor whereas they couldn't before" is not "rubbish you've been reading" but scientific fact: children (and adults, for that matter) respond more positively to role models that are like them.

Picture a playground. Picture a group of boys playing make-believe.
    Boy 1: "I wanna be Doctor Who!"
    Boy 2: "Okay, I'll be a Dalek. EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!"

Now swap them out for girls.
    Girl 1: "I wanna be Doctor Who!"
    Girl 2: "You can't be Doctor Who! He's a boy!"

You have kids, you know for a fact that's what would happen on 99 percent of playgrounds.

12. noizdaemon666

My son went dressed as Elsa to a non-uniform shindig, not a single comment was made. Not that it would have bothered him if there had been. Scientific fact and gender based role models are incredibly out-dated.

Now, back on topic as there really isn't any point in anymore discussion on the Doctor Who matter (at least no in this thread) :)

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Ah Elsa the lion from Born Free, why would anyone mind that? :grin::grin::grin:

14. Gareth Halfacree

Are we doing anecdotes? Just yesterday my daughter told me about her friend Toby, whose birthday is coming up, and that he loves Marvel. But only the boy superheroes, not the girl ones.

Check.

15. noizdaemon666

Yeah, Elsa the lion. 100% who I was talking about :D

16. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Not happy at all to be honest if I could get away with swearing on a forum, but since I can't I don't think people would understand a whole post of "**** ********" so I will put it politely.

Was converting a video about 4 hours ago, and heard a sizzle type noise and a water spraying type noise coming from behind my pc then everything shut off.

Smelt the dreaded dead electrical smell, and thought oh it will be fine it will only be the extension lead but nope.

Unplugged everything and swapped to a spare one I had, hit the power button on my tv, nothing, 2nd monitor didn't come on, hit the power button on the pc and nothing.

Spent the last 2 hours swapping parts around from my pc to my dads pc and everything is dead, and also everything that was plugged in to the extension lead.

Then was looking at the extension lead to see if I could figure out what had happened and bingo there it is, radiator on the wall sprung a leak and shot water all over the extension lead and typically I had forgot to swap the extension leads back to the normal one I use which would have protected the kit, but that one is currently sat on the chest of drawers to the left of where my pc desk is because I needed to use it yesterday to show someone why they shouldn't, connect a cable box in to a extension lead that has coax connectors on it.

Moral of the story, if you swap your extension lead to a cheaper one only on a temporary matter make sure you swap it back!

So yeah really not happy, and what makes it even worse is that I am not working so it's have no clue when I can get a new pc but luckily I can use my dad's as and when I need to.

17. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Oh man, that bends. Can you claim on your insurance?

Sorry to hear that man. That's like all of my worst nightmares rolled into one.

18. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Nope house insurance doesn't cover it, because I am not working everything has been reduced down to the minimum possible and the really annoying thing is that if I had not found work by next month I was going to be selling it anyway in order to help with the payments, each month because currently according to the job center I am not entitled to any benefits for another 2 months, due to leaving my previous job "voluntarily" even though I was basically forced out.

So yeah, I have just been and bought a bottle of vodka and some pure orange juice and I am getting completely drunk tonight, and will worry about stuff tomorrow even though I really shouldn't be getting drunk but I need to relax and blow off some steam.

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

The PC Brigade strikes again! You can't win with those SJWs you know, they'll get you on anything. Damn kids and their "ee-kwol-itee", I don't know what the world is coming to... Times were simpler when boys worked down the pit for 14 hours a day and women left politics and voting to people who know better - the men!

EDIT: Seriously I can't say d@mn on here? Little harsh isn't it?

I find that strange (worked in home insurance). Most policies should cover you for damage caused by escape of water; I can see how they'd try to wriggle out and claim it was a consequential loss or somesuch (i.e. "the water didn't damage your computer only the extension cord, therefore no cover for your computer") but that's a BS argument and goes against the FCA Treating Customers Fairly guidelines. If you want to send me a copy of the policy booklet PDF I'd be happy to take a look and decipher the Ts&Cs.

20. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Never mind

Last edited: 22 Jul 2017