1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Recommend gaming monitor.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Modsbywoz, 19 Jul 2017.

1. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I'm looking at returning to 2k Resolution monitors as they seem to be more suitable for my line of work.

Could anyone recommend a gaming monitor? Ideally 24in and not too expensive as i would need two for work purposes.

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Unfortunately "2K resolution", "Gaming" and "inexpensive" aren't words you'll find tied to the same product... Assuming that by "gaming" you mean high refresh rates.

Even TN panels without any adaptive sync tech will be horrendously overpriced. A fairly generic 1440p monitor isn't hard to find, but with a fast screen the price rockets up to almost UW or 4K price levels.

I would go for a considerably cheaper 1080p jobby and use DSR to upscale to 1440p or 4K, makes a substantial difference to image quality.

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

If money weren't so much of an issue, and this is honestly best bang for buck and is more future proof: Dell S2417DG

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I gather you mean QHD or 1440p?

Minimum for that if you want a decent experience will be a 1070. Or wait for Vega and get a free storage heater for your room.

Edit. That'll tech me not to rush !

IIRC the only decent 1440p monitor around that size is the Dell and it's not cheap.

5. Squallers

Squallers Meat Puppet

Not strictly speaking a gaming monitor (only 60hz) but I got a Dell 2515H last year and have no complaints. 1440p on a 25 inch panel is nice and sharp.

I would say that I've never joined the 60hz+ master race so I remain blissfully unaware of any benefits of high refresh gaming.

6. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Im not overly fussed at 1440p and would be more than happy with 1080p but would like to give the 144mhz club a go.

It's hard to find one with good colour reproduction and 144mhz refresh rate without costing the earth.

7. Vault-Tec

All good monitors cost the earth mate. All of them.. Having said that I will quote Custom PC from a few years ago.. "Considering the monitor is your pathway into your computer and something you spend all day interacting with and looking at it has always been wise to get a good one"

8. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Same thing goes for mouse and keyboard imho.

9. Vault-Tec

Yup very true. I've always had very good mice and decent keyboards. My keyboards get battered tbh.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Outside of the dell that is above I would struggle to recommend something. Cause there simply isn't any.

Dell is the only company to offer a 1440p monitor at 24/25. At a decent price.

Go to 27 or 28 and your options widen.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  11. Vault-Tec

So true Rollo. I spent months upon months looking at monitors desperate to get away from my Acer 4k. And whilst at first the list seems enormous and lots of choices you really end up at like one, or maybe two monitors per size/res/price that are worth having. All of the rest lack something, and it's usually something big enough to make you not want to buy it.

This is why the other day I suggested a monitor without waffling on, as there really wasn't a point. If you want a decent monitor this is your option, if you want to cheap out and pay less expect to lose something quite major.

12. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

i can totally appreciate the cost of monitors aren't cheap. What i meant was I find it hard to justify spending £800 on a gaming monitor and looking closer to the £300 - £400 price bracket.

13. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Go a little bit over and get the Dell.

14. Vault-Tec

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Monitors/Dell-UltraSharp-U2515H-LED-Monitor-IPS-Panel/B00SPWPF1O

I think that's the correct one. That is about as good as you will get at that size. Make sure you check though, as there is a non ultrasharp model. If your desk can handle it this is the best value large 1440p monitor.

http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/P...l=MTO&jumpid=reg_r1002_uken_b-002_title_r0001

But be warned, it's quite the beast. However, for the spec size etc you will not beat it.

15. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

16. Vault-Tec

I hated my Acer. I always associated them with cheap nasty plastic crap that looks as cheap as it was.

I bought the 4k 28" model after reviews lauded it as the, and I quote "4k Swift".

So I bought it. Cheap plastic crap. Nasty shiny piano look frame that marked no sooner than you looked at it. BLB looked like spotlights on a black screen.

Mine was G-Sync. When I connected my Fury X to it I got a green like outline around everything.

It really was horrible. Mutton dressed as Asus lamb.

Never again.

17. Vault-Tec

Can't edit my post to add as phone is breaking the format. But, if you mean it's not worth buying a Freesync monitor if you have an Nvidia GPU I wouldn't be so hasty.

Adaptive Vsync is really rather wonderful and works incredibly well.