1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice i7 930 shift to Ryzen...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Burnout21, 30 Jul 2017.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Afternoon Bit-tech, long time no lurk and I see the forum's have changed.

I'm getting that tech itch once again, and my X58 platform is feeling it's age with the I/O limitations.

I've noticed that the hype train for Ryzen hasn't fizzled out which means there must be something behind all that marketing after all. I am aware "threadripper?" Is just around the corner, but as a platform that would be total overkill for my current use case. Looking at the Passmark scores between the two it would equate to the 1700X having 3 times the grunt (i7 930 - 5176 / 1700X - 14761)

My current use case (When I get a chance to sit down and use it)

• 4K video ingest and editing in Blender
    • Solidworks (Not worried about this, it's still crippled by single core optimisation in the modelling aspect of the package.)
    • GTA5, World of Tanks
    • Astro image stacking - (Once or twice a year)
    • Conversion of our DVD/Blu-Ray library to our Plex server
    Some intensive tasks, some not so intensive.

One objective is to reduce the size of my current machine which is housed inside a Lian Li PC-70 so I've been looking at the following setup.

• Ryzen 1700X
    • ASRock Fatalty X370 ITX
    • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000MHz
    • Samsung 960 EVO M.2-2280 250GB
    • Gigabyte GTX980 Windforce (Pulled from current machine)
    • Crucial MX100 256GB Scratch drive (Pulled from current machine)
    So from the above, what does the collective hive mind of the forum think for a sub £1K platform upgrade?

I am still searching for a new chassis which I understand is a personal choice along with a cooling solution.

2. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

No point in going with a 1700X, an OC'd 1700 will offer just as much grunt, possibly more depending on the chip.

Oh and if that Corsair LPX memory is Hynix flavoured, forget it - you want some Samsung B die, Hynix doesn't play nice with a lot of X370 boards and tbh Corsair is just meh.

This LINK should help with reference to memory choice.

Last edited by a moderator: 30 Jul 2017
  3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I had seen on youtube recommendations to use B-Die, but finding a B-Die 16GB kit sub £200 is proving to be a nightmare, there also seems to be a supply and demand issue on what I can identify.

I really feel out of sync these days, super comfortable with the days of nforce2/3/4 and then Intel P35/45 but I am in effect 7 years in the dark, but thanks for the advice!

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Attached Files:

6. Vault-Tec

You don't have to have B-Die. That was from back when the boards came out. Things have changed a lot since then. I have yet to see any board not work with that G-Skill. Seriously, you're over thinking it. Just make sure you update the bios on the board as soon as you get it, then set AXMP.

BTW I think they are Samsung B-Die. They are just not listed at that speed. Look at the serial numbers. The F4 16D is listed, just at faster speeds. The F4 14D is listed at 3000, but I can't see G-Skill using serials that similar for other products.

Those are the RAM chips every one has been using on other forums with no problems whatsoever. BTW - most Corsair is fine now also. As I said, that was just a thing at the very beginning.

7. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

The models can be similar, but C16 at 3000 is not going to be B-die. It's too loose.

8. Vault-Tec

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

What is the deal between the 1700 and 1700X, other than the 95W TDP and the clock speed difference, what does the X actually stand for?

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

eXtended Frequency Range... can't actually remember what it actually does other than probably not enough to justify an X over a non-X...

11. TheMadDutchDude

It's basically a multiplier higher and costs extra. The 1700 is the best value for money and does the exact same as the 1800X. Save the cash and put it towards better memory or an SSD, or something else like a better motherboard. :D

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You're putting an ITX board in a full ATX PC-70? Pea on a plate.
    Personally the Strix X370F or Pro, or the GBT board gets good reviews.
    What about an AM4 cooler too? Or just use the AMD bundled one?

13. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Above 3000MHz Hynix has proven to taper off vs Samsung B die, Team Group use B die Samsung LINK and they are easier on the pocket pricewise - 3200MHz is the Ryzen sweet spot for now.

14. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I was in a similar boat to you - I went from an X58 i7 950/12gb to a Ryzen setup.

My usage is very, very different to you, and I opted for a 1500 rather than 1700/X, and a B350 board due to cost. I've noticed increased performance in basically everything I had installed game wise - Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, DiRT Rally, all sit at ~60fps with a few more settings at 2560x1600 - I kept the same GPU, RX480 4gb.

I went with Corsair Vengeance (2x8gb), and didn't update the BIOS (Heathen, I know) and haven't had a problem at all regarding memory.

I'd be willing to suggest the 1700X is probably pointless over a regular 1700 - Especially going to it from an X58.

15. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

How ya doing Bindi!

LoL, ITX in a PC-70 would be the definition of total overkill, but just think of the space to work...

Still looking for a new chassis to house this new setup. I have since decided that the 1700 is the best choice for my application. With regards to cooling I'll rock the stock cooler of the 1700 whilst I figure out what water cooling kit in the cupboard will fit into the new chassis. (Hence my chassis search headache.)

16. Vault-Tec

I would not use a 1700X in a ITX board any way. 1700 is perfect, I doubt you will be able to overclock any way. The Gigabyte ITX board was reviewed recently and the VRMs had terrible trouble. You will want very good airflow in whichever case you decide on tbh.

17. TheMadDutchDude

I'd wait on ITX boards if you are intending to upgrade. They're still rolling out slowly, but should have better options available soon, I think...

18. Vault-Tec

Yeah some one needs to step up and put some decent VRMs and cooling on an ITX board. What they've done so far has been pretty pathetic.

19. TheMadDutchDude

It's coming, for sure. We've not yet seen an ASUS variant, and I think they'll most likely do an Impact-esque board for the enthusiasts.

20. Vault-Tec

I hope so because the Gigabyte effort was a joke.