1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD details and prices Radeon RX Vega

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 30 Jul 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. dec

dec [blank space]

The card looks fantastic and prices are competitive as well. Vega 64 is rumored to perform the same as a 1080 too. The discounts on Ryzen parts is good for new build seekers. I'm very excited to see the non-reference variants.

The only problem is the reference Vega 64 TDP being over 100W higher than the reference 1080 at 180W. Pascal excels at power efficiency but Vega should not be this bad.

3. DrTiCool

DrTiCool Minimodder

That power consumption is really bothering me, lot of people would have to upgrade PSU.
    I was expecting NV power efficiency, Kinda lackluster launch.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

I would say confused, $200 for a cooler or a $100 for a cooler still seems madness.

3D Mark scores had 4 cards the highest was around 300 points above the 1080 with the lowest around the 1070.

This would entail with the pricing structure, the reality is this level of performance has been available for over a year. And the 1080ti is cheaper then the water cooled version and will be at least 30% quicker if those scores above are accurate.

5. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

$50-$100 too much to make any impact on Nvidia's market share.

...and with the pound (currently) at $1.30, a straight £-$ pricing structure would be wholly unjustified, even taking into account VAT.

6. DbD

DbD Minimodder

No way those stock air coolers can dissipate 300W, it'll throttle like mad. They should have just released the water cooled version, and let 3rd party re-sellers stick on monster air coolers for the rest like they did with the 390.

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

You know what? I've been keeping my distance on Vega, but now I have to say something. Based on what I've seen, Vega is going to be a total fail. Why?

1) 1080 performance? Not good enough - Nvidia and AMD should be playing 'leap frog' with their performance.

2) 345W draw? I don't care about power (performance is the priority for me) but when the 1080 Ti (which VEGA seems unable to compete with based on current data available) comes in at 250W, you have to ask what the hell is going on.

3) Are AMD resorting to water cooling for the V64? Because, again, Nvidia seem to be managing just fine with air coolers.

4) 8GB VRAM? I know AMD are using fancy-shmancy HBM2, but I feel that more would help. I know I'm a minority for using 4K/UHD to game, but I often see VRAM usage hitting >9GB.

It seems that for the last few generations, AMD has responded to Nvidia by releasing GPUs that barely match performance wise but use a lot more power and have problems with thermal management. So what if they're cheaper if it comes at the cost of quite significant flaws. Ah well, at least Ryzen is coming up trumps.

Now, come call me an Nvidia fanboi or whatever.

8. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I don't think 1080 performance is an issue, but the problem is they are this late to the party. Most people who want 1080 performance for 1080 money would have it by now so there needs to be a reason to get the equivalent Vega card and I don't think adaptive sync will be a big enough draw.

Power draw does seem high, but as usual, wait for the reviews. Same with performance tbh.

There is an air cooler for V64 too, though it's a lower clocked card.

8GB VRAM an issue, no idea I don't game at that high a res :p Have to see if HBCC does anything useful.

It does feel like AMD is playing catch-up, which is a shame. At least, with a bit of luck, this will bring some competition to the higher priced cards. Well that is until miners get their hands on them.....

I'm just hoping for a nice review of the architecture. I enjoy reading about what they've both added and why even if it goes nowhere.

PS I like the 'Packs' that they are doing. I doubt we'll get all or any over here because reasons. But it's a good idea. Shame it's not a little more flexible though.

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

IIRC The high memory usage by games is more a developer / DirectX thing, i think i remember reading it was something to do with the allocation of more graphics memory being problomatic so game developers tend to allocate all they can (up to two times more than needed) when the game initially starts.

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, there's a difference between a game needing VRAM and utilising VRAM...

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Same AMD fans said 8gb was not enough when the 1080 launch are now saying 8gb is enough on other places lol. Swings and round abouts that one.

More worrying is wrctech which suggests the comparison is between liquid cooled Vega and the FE edition of the 1080. Not exactly a fair fight that one.

12. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

It's pretty hard to say much about the pricing structure for these cards when we don't have performance data... If they perform worse than nVidia's price equivalents, then the pricing sucks. If they perform better, then they're priced competitively :D When can we expect reviews, BT?

13. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Ahhh why did you have to drag their fanboi comments over here?!....

[​IMG]

14. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

Very nice card but will you be able to buy one when released? Everytime i look on overclockers or scan most of the RX570/580 are out of stock.

Tags: Add Tags