1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Intel to ryzen, reinstall windows?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keir, 1 Aug 2017.

?

Fresh windows install

1. It's a must

17 vote(s)
    89.5%
  2. Won't make a difference

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

I'm building a and ryzen rig tomorrow, I've heard that most of the teething issues are resolved, other than a BIOS update and the windows power plan what else do I need to do?
    And is it advisable to reinstall windows ( windows 10)

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I would.

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I think for major hardware changes you need to reinstall, but I'm sure the people that do reviews here will be able to give you a definitive answer.

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

You can get away with not doing it, but I would do it regardless as the occasional fresh install isn't a bad idea even without hw changes and switching hw is a good enough excuse to do it.

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I've not had issues with Win 7 slowing down in years, or Win 10 for that matter. The last big issue there was with slowdowns was Windows XP that I recall.

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, I don't subscribe to the reinstall Windows every how every often school of thought, because ime those problems don't really exist any more. Mind you, I don't install and uninstall a ton of programs constantly.

My last Windows 7 install lasted 5 years without any of these slowdown problems, and only got wiped because I did a full system upgrade and decided a fresh Win7 install for a new motherboard/CPU was probably a good idea (just to bring it back to the OP's question :D )

7. TheMadDutchDude

Those are the only reasons I reinstall as well, when a full system change happens.

8. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Alright guys, fresh windows it is Thanks.

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Jjust to be the odd one out.

I did not bother reinstalling. Judicious use of driver cleaner and uninstalling then installing the correct drivers.

still running fine with no oddball behaviour two months later.

10. TheMadDutchDude

Quicker to reinstall and save yourself all of the potential hassle.

11. liratheal

It only took ten-fifteen minutes to do, Windaz10 took care of most things. Just GPU and NIC I reinstalled manually. Plus, I'd rather risk the hassle than have to reinstall all my software.

12. TheMadDutchDude

Win 10 only takes 5 mins to install. :D

13. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

:D I installed Win7 from USB in about five minutes, perhaps less.

14. liratheal

windows might only take ten minutes, but the updates and software on top sure don't :p

15. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

From experience, it didn't make a difference when I upgraded motherboard & CPU a few years ago - I moved my Win 7 install from a build with a Core 2 Quad Q9650 into my current Haswell rig - the computer simply spent 3-5 mins looking for the necessary drivers to install after the hardware swap (as every single usb socket had changed and each of the 4 cores of my 4670K required driver installation, same for the chipset) and was ready to go. I've since moved it back again, without any problems.

Whether it will be that simple when moving from Intel to AMD is a different question but my new mobo booted Win 7 correctly and if Win 7 was clever enough to automatically grab the necessary drivers, Win 10 will certainly be just as smooth. There is logic in starting over, as you'll have leftover drivers to remove and more so by moving Intel > AMD but cleaning up will be far quicker. Assuming you're using an SSD as a boot drive I really can't see any problems in simply switching CPU/mobo, plugging your boot drive in and hitting the power button.
    Don't buy that anymore - certainly true back in the days of HDD boot drives after 5+ years of use but with an SSD? Doesn't really matter if the registry expands, it's an SSD - it will find the necessary just as quickly as a years old install (my current rig started with 8, then 8.1 and took the free upgrade to 10 - all without any slowdown).
    Agree with the 1st paragraph. Again, not sure that a full reinstall is strictly necessary (and updating will take a lot of time to being vanilla Win10 to 1703) but Windows on an SSD imo simply doesn't need a full reinstall anymore

16. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

As long as you download Win10 just before you reinstall it'll have all the updates included. And for software use Ninite, You just tick the boxes for the software you want, and download a single executable that downloads the latest versions and installs them for you.

17. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I have moved a windows 10 hard drive from one computer to a new one (i3 to A10), after about an hour I managed to track down all the drivers that caused windows to crash on boot, but the system never felt right. The next day I did a fresh install. I was able to confirm that while the OS started off activated, upon moving to the new computer, the license was deactivated.

18. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Did you call Microsoft? it's very easy to transfer the license to another PC fella.

19. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

all you talking about fresh installs would hate my PC - I think I'm on hardware version 4 or 5 with this install :)

20. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I have a Retail Windows 7 license migrated to Windows 10 with a digital entitlement (or whatever term Microsoft uses). The hardware upgrade meant that the license was not reconsigned. I don't have the license linked to an MS account, so I was unable to migrate the license via the typical methods. I did manage to move the license as per this thread Retail Edition

Tags: