1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More woes from me

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EARTHWALKER, 11 Oct 2003.

1. EARTHWALKER

EARTHWALKER What's a Dremel?

(If you have read my earlier posts you'll understand)
    Exchanged the Q-tec PSU today and replaced it with an Antec True Power Blue 480W PSU and still my machine will not post.

As I have said earlier, the board, chip and ram are spanking new.
    I am a little suspicious and almost hoping it's the ram.

If the ram did miraculously become faulty would that prevent the machine from posting?
    If not then It looks like I may have to send the mobo and chip back (EEK!)

2. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

IIRC you're running dual channel RAM (it might help to post your specs for lazy ppl like me), so if you think the RAM is faulty, put each stick in separately and try like that. It's very unlikely that both of your DIMMs are broken, is there another CPU anywhere you could try?

3. EARTHWALKER

my specs are here m8. http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41161

I don't have another pentium chip or know anyone with a pentium chip so im a bit buggered there. If an Athlon XP chip fitted in this board then I'd try it.

I have a prommie case so it's a right royal pain in the arse changing chips and boards over.

4. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

So...have you tried your RAM sticks individually? A Prometia has nothing to do with that ;)

5. EARTHWALKER

Not yet. I'll do that tomorrow. I was starting to think that perhaps the prommie had kille dthe ram somehow. Probably paranoia. Almost likely that I have killed the ram by pushing it too much....or it that just too hard to do?

6. olv

olv he's so bright

Have u tested it with standard air cooling?
    if it works with a normal hsf then you've probably insulated your socket unsufficiently and thats y it wont post.

7. EARTHWALKER

I tried with one ram and then with the other but still nothing. bah, I'l give the air coling a go later.

keep you posted.

8. EARTHWALKER

Removed all of the Prommie bits 'n' bobs and fired up. Fans whirring, drives clicking but still no POST. Removed the ram and replaced it with this machines ram which works perfectly and still nothing. I can only now presume it is a mobo and/or cpu problem.

Contacted Overclockers. Hopefully they can either give me an RMA or better still a definitive answer to the problem.

:waah:

9. EARTHWALKER

Update..if you are interested :d

RMA'd it back to OC. They tested it in the morning and sent out a replacement board the same day.

Just have to build it back up again.

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Thank goodness you've managed to get it sorted - there's nothing as annoying as a spanking new system that won't POST... :thumb:

At least now you get the joys of re-building your system :D