1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant What was the point in being in IT, if we missed the bitcoin boom?

Discussion in 'General' started by rainbowbridge, 1 Dec 2013.

1. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

2. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I have two 7850's which generally give 300-400 h/ps

3. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

related...

goldstar0011 likes this.
  4. Weekly_Estimate

Maybe getting offered a new job which pays twice my current amount with benefits in "IT"

Kinda crazy! Anyone know anything about working with networks MCSE, certs and is it hard for us computer wizards to pick up on all the stuff?

5. RTT

RTT #parp

Looks like Ethereum could be the next/new bitcoin :worried:

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Still more stable than the British Pound. :p

7. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

Necro post is still Necro....

I disapprove of this Necro and you should feel ashamed of yourself

8. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Sterling has central bank and government backing, Bitcoin and any other cyber-currency has sod all...

9. mushi_999

mushi_999 Minimodder

funny thing is..

i work in i.t. and for years i kept trying to tell all my it buddies at work about bitcoin, but they all think it's stupid and they look at me like i am silly, taking about some funny internet money, or some criminal playing around with internet money

for i.t. guys.. they sure don't care about new technology,

this thread is funny... it's now 2017, and bitcoin continues to go up and up!

i buy bitcoin every month, and save and spend,

i've given up on telling people about bitcoin, and also as it keeps getting higher, i don't want anyone to know i have bitcoin,

in 10 years, or so, 1 bitcoin will be worth 1 million usd, and that 1 million usd, will be worthless as the usd keeps getting less and less valuable,

it's funny how he write he has missed the bitcoin boom.. in my opinion it hasn't even begun

in 10 years or so, someone will write here a very similar thread,

this time.. they'll be kicking themselves for not even buying 1 bitcoin...

because that 1 bitcoin with be worth the world :thumb:

10. Weekly_Estimate

I’ve been watching bitcoin for the past couple of days and damn if we all entered when this thread was started we’d all have some very nice profits about now! never too late to start folks!

11. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

It's only profit if you sell it for profit. It's just wooden dollars until that point.

I've been flipping BTC and ETH for quite some time now (though I did decide to pull out of BTC pre-split, just in case it went a bit awry, which it obviously didn't, and now I'm feeling sore). I've had my initial capital back out so everything I still retain is "profit" in theory, and worth a few quid today, but might be worth many more quid tomorrow (or in a year, or many years), so I'll keep it, but might be worth the square root of naff all tomorrow too.

12. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Oh bitcoin. Your still amusing because I keep seeing people losing lots of money because they trusted a card exchange to be a bank, and can just shut the doors and off to mexico!

13. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I'm tempted to look at this now, anyone recommend a good exchange/wallet?

14. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I'm trading exclusively on Kraken now. It has proven pretty good for me.

15. Mister_Tad

I'm using cex.io and a ledger nano s for cold storage

16. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

After a few recommendations I've opted for BlockChain, just keeping an eye and recording the rises/falls for a few days, then might take a little dip for a couple of coins. For anyone keeping track a single coin rose from £3,207.84 to £3,259.92 since I asked for recommendations yesterday,

17. Mister_Tad

Not a good time for diving in IMO. Casual investors speculators start jumping in when they see bitcoin in the news, bitcoin is in the news because "it's at the highest ever, and if you invested $1 when it started you would be a billioinaire" headline of something like that, and then the price has a hiccup for any number of reasons, and all of the casual speculators decide it was a bad idea to sink their money in, and they had better take it out for a small loss, rather than a bigger one in time, and thus the price drops further.

You can almost guarantee that in the next few months the price will take a nosedive.

Then again maybe I'm wrong and it's on the up and up for good now and you'll miss out on your chance to be a billionaire :lol:

18. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Indeed. BTC has strangely repeatable behaviour - every peak is followed by a pretty huge drop, never normally as far as the previous drop but normally below the previous peak, and then it steadily climbs again with the process repeating. Now is a bad time to jump in. Standard investment principles apply, that is, buy low sell high. Buying on an outwardly obvious peak would be foolish.

It would appear there is room for another currency in the market now though, after all the pump and dump jobs of a couple of years ago, and ethereum is that candidate. I've got quite a bit invested in a company that has one of the largest mining farms in the US, and they recently piloted an ethereum datacentre. That says enough to me.

Such a shame about Vega mining though - my AMD shares are really hurting on that result.

19. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

At least you missed out on something you didn't know. I _forgot_ to buy AMD stocks at $2 despite being pretty much certain that they would climb back up to at least $6, because stocks were simply something I never really considered or could afford before then.

I suppose after seeing the rise of btc even at the $300 point when most people found out about it, it's a good idea to put away a few pounds worth of every new coin early on in case they go somewhere, like Eth and Zcash, and that'll do you some good.

20. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

So there's just been another huge drop because China said "no" (or something, I'm not really sure)....

Buy buy buy?!