1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Laptops for kids

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guinevere, 13 Aug 2017.

1. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Thinking ahead here?

What's the current sweet spot for budget Win 10 laptops for kids usage?

Currently my twins have access to a shared pig of a notebook that has a terrible screen, insufficient RAM, a slow HDD, some sloooow dual core AMD and seeing how it runs Minecraft as a slideshow nothing special for a GPU.

I'm going to give them access to my old 13" MBP, which is better, but the time will come when I'll need to give them each their own machines. Maybe that time will be this Christmas. Yes it's coming.

So what's the lowest I can get away with if they're going to get 1080p machines and a decent experience on the basics? A bit of Minecraft and some indie games will do. These don't need to be GPU gaming monsters.

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

A machine with integrated graphics these days can run Minecraft at 1080P without an issue. It's a CPU intensive game rather than GPU, but the draw distance does play some factor, albeit not as much as the CPU.

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Last edited: 13 Aug 2017
    rend likes this.
  4. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Any cheap laptop running full Windows (I.e. not one of those with an eMMC card) with an SSD in it should last years to be honest. Just grab a couple of 128gb units and blat windows 10 from a USB stick. Don't even bother to turn it on with the included software rubbish.

You might consider secondhand too. Cex offer a decent secondhand warranty.

5. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

been pondering this my self, my kids either use mine craft on my xbone or a natty old lenovo 12" lappy.
    personally i would like all 3 of them to tinker and learn as they go along 2 older ones are learning scratch in school. so pretty soon im getting them a https://kano.me/ full kit.
    rpi based computer which you build it your self with lcd screens and has its own version of mine craft.

it is or might seem expensive but imho nice path for them to learn by them selves so well worth it.

6. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I would go second hand as there is rarely any value to be had in the laptop market. I recently got a Dell 7995 for £600 and it does the job perfectly.

7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

[​IMG]

Yaka likes this.
  8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I would say build their own PCs because they'll enjoy it, but full PC with display, KB/mouse etc is not as cheap as an entry NB.

Btw: Q4 is meant to see some new AMD APU notebooks coming. Keeping my ear to the ground but all is very quiet right now. Cheap NBs will often have low-clocked U series dual core - even a G4400 will be better.

Found:
    http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/refu...0p-2.5ghz-8gb-1tb-conv-a1-x8m12ea/version.asp - 1080p, SSD, 'high-end' AMD mobile APU. Really not bad for under 500, but depends on quality of keyboard and touchpad and audio - these are usually the cheapcheapcheap parts as they are not 'spec'.

Or, entry ROG - the 552VW is OK, and 960M + SSD + FHD is good!
    http://www.laptopoutlet.co.uk/asus-...p-intel-core-i7-6700hq-8gb-ram-1tb-27663.html

Last edited by a moderator: 15 Aug 2017
  9. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

Having initially looked at getting my kids a laptop I've gone along the route Bindi suggested. Like a number on this site I had a couple of components knocking around (Psu, keyboard, storage, case fans) which has saved a bit. I went with a Cpu recommended to me on this forum, the G4560, an matx mobo and 8Gb of memory. I will be getting a 1050ti for the gpu. Only luxury as it were is the Inwin 301 I will be picking up next month.

One of the key reasons was to sit down and build the system with my kids so that they get an understanding of how it all works. My daughter is 11 and needed a PC for senior school. My 8 year old is simply a geek (and I'm proud!).

Last edited: 15 Aug 2017