1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Vega fail :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 6 Jul 2017.

1. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

From the WX 1900 page:
    "ECC support is limited to the HBM2 memory and ECC protection is not provided for internal GPU structures."
    "Peak Single Precision Compute Performance 12.29TFLOPS" "Peak Double Precision Compute Performance 768GFLOPS" 12.29/0.768 = 16.
    "The Radeon™ Pro WX 9100, like all other Radeon Pro WX products, will also benefit from planned workstation certifications and optimizations for many of today’s popular design applications including SOLIDWORKS®, PTC Creo, Revit and Siemens NX."
    The WX 1900 still has only 1/16 FP64 performance, and still lacks ECC inside the GPU, and has yet to receive certified drivers.

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So the same as all other professional graphics cards then, or at least the same as NVIDIA's Quadro GP100 (afaik).

And your point is?

You do know it's not even been released yet right? It's sort of difficult to have certified drivers for something that's not even got drivers yet.

Besides none of what you've said address the point i raised and what you original took issue with that AMD designed Vega primarily for the "professional" market, that the RX and FE Vega chips are little more than Vega chips that didn't make the cut for the Instinct or professional cards.

Yea Vega didn't "waste a bunch of die area on professional features"....

Oh wait, they did.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 16 Aug 2017
  4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

No, professional cards use ECC within the internal registers, caches, and even when in-flight for operations. It's rather one of the hallmarks of a professional card. Lacking that means it will not be certified at all for certain applications (e.g. will be acceptable for accelerating visualisation, but unacceptable for accelerating simulation).
    That it lacks 1/2-rate FP64, and instead uses fractional-rate like any other consumer card.

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Interesting video. Vega doesn't seem to like high MSAA.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So let me get this right, you're saying that because it lacks some features that you personally consider should be on a professional graphics card that it's not a professional graphics card? Despite AMD saying it is, despite them extending the ISA to support professional workloads, and despite everything pointing to it being a professional graphics card, correct?

Because if so I'd love to know where you're getting your definition of what a professional graphics card is or what standards it must meet, is there some sort of body or organisation who publish these standards?

And if professional cards must use ECC within the internal registers, caches, and even when in-flight for operations then how do you explain the Quadro P6000 and P5000 that only use EEC on the RAM or the rest of Nvidia's professional lineup that have no EEC whatsoever, in fact the only professional card from Nvidia that uses ECC within the internal registers, caches, and even when in-flight for operations is Nvidia's top of the range GP100.

Also if professional cards must have 1/2-rate FP64 then that means all but a single Nvidia professional card are not professional cards as all Quadro cards apart from the GP100 have a 1/32 rate for FP64, that's half of Vega's FP64 rate so does that make them sub consumer parts?

Last edited: 17 Aug 2017
  7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

It is up to whoever makes the software in question and whatever their criteria happen to be at the time if they certify it or not.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Found this video informative re Vega pricing.

9. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Haven't got time to watch Jayz video, but I did see a hilarious quote from AMD basically saying things like "demand was way higher than anticipated" and "gamers are buying Vega cards as soon as they come in stock!"... Funny that, because EVERY SINGLE hardware forum I've been reading has barely been talking about Vega... And if they are, it's just echoing exactly what we're saying; too late, too hot, too power hungry, too expensive, too slow, not interested in overpriced "Radeon Packs".

I'm telling you now, it 'aint gamers that are buying Vega cards. The more AMD tries to ******** their way out of it, the more backlash they'll get (and the further their stock will fall).

10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Saw the Jayz vid, it's a messed up business but implies that AMD did not have a temporary rebate in place so what OCuk suggested just adds to the confusion as a result of being able to sell single cards or packs or something. Really have no idea.

Ambiguity from AMD doesn't help especially on the oh we want to restrict miners from getting all the cards but hey miners here's a new driver that helps you out.

Not holding out much hope for 56 pricing though, at this rate and the prices they're all at AMD are pushing me towards a 1070 or quite possibly a 1080. To be fair I can't moan about miners, they've paid for my upgrade anyway as a result of pure luck and timing on my part.

11. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

As a little side note, I really enjoy JayzTwoCents videos as he's usually very calm, rational and mostly unbiased.

12. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I wonder how many units of Vega 64 AMD actually shipped at launch, because it seems like they have been as rare as hen's teeth. It's all well and good saying that they sold out in seconds, but that's not as much of a boast if stock levels were miniscule to start with.

As far as the "rebate" goes, I'd take whatever Gibbo at OCUK has to say with a lorryload of salt. Remember his chat that Vega would be AMAZING for cryptomining? It's almost as if he's saying stuff to hype up sales, or shifting the blame for price increases from his company to AMD.

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Komplett.no said the same thing as Gibbo though, that there was a limited quantity available at launch with a discounted price.

Of course none of that explains why AMD didn't qualify the price as launch offer only when they officially announced the cards, pics of slides they showed here:
    https://www.kitguru.net/components/...r-rxvega64-and-56-graphics-cards-at-siggraph/

14. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Gibbo would sell his soul for a few quid. He's a salesman, he drives a Porsche, nuff said really.

However, Jaytwoknobs basically called him a liar. And "Geebo" but I digress (note the sarcasm there, given he always says it over and over...) I have no reason not to believe Gibbo ATM. This has gone viral and AMD have had plenty of chances to call him out and make him look like the gouger he is but they have not.

So yeah, it could well be very true.

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Clearly not a very good one if he only got a few quid for it...

16. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, I'm not saying the Gibbo is lying and in fact he may be correct, but if he told me that the sky was blue I'd go outside and check for myself :D

17. Vault-Tec

He knows every trick in the book to be fair. Yeah, most of what he says borders on lying and you can see through it.

18. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

"70-100 mh/s"

Vault-Tec likes this.
  19. Vault-Tec

I had to Google that one. haha. classic !

20. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I still expect that to be a thing. I have this odd suspicion that AMD is ramping up stock of Vega chips in anticipation of a driver update that will "unlock" Vega's mining capabilities - the miners will flock to it like flies to the brown stuff, freeing up the next batch of Polaris stock to actually be sold to gamers at a fair price and take some market share from Nvidia in the mid-range (which obviously has much higher volume of sales).

But maybe I'm just mad...