1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Log: error.exe (56k Warning)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by error.ini, 10 Oct 2003.

1. error.ini

error.ini What's a Dremel?

*Cross forums post* (i'm originally from Gideontech, but some people here inspired me to mod, so I thought I should also cross log this here.)

Welcome to my current project, error.exe. I'm hoping to go through a big transformation, and ending with a slick look, and still try to keep it cheap as possible. I'm starting out with the dull everyone-has-it-cheiftec. I bought the case because it has the best quality and options for a good price.

[​IMG]
    Here are my starting materials, i've already started on some stuff, and didn't have a camera at the time, but i'll recap as we go along.

[​IMG]
    First I took the door off the front, and then cut clear plexi so that it could stealth the whole front. I cut out some drive bay covers and painted the back with black. This is just a prototype bezel, I plan to cut 1 more clear plexi piece with perfect dimensions, and then use that to trace on Smoke Plexi. Next week, or the week after, i'm going to buy either a LCD or VFD (i'm leaning more towards the VFD because it's brighter and you can buy nice filter for them) and putting it in the bottom 2 5" bay. When off you shouldn't be able to see it, and when on it will glow like a mother (i've always loved stealthed LCDs).
    (NOTE: That little red "e" won't be in the final version, I just got bored this morning, and had some scraps. I may get a custom "error.exe" cut out, not sure yet. )

[​IMG]
    Here is how the stealthing looks, the usual. That white CD-ROM will be replaced with ether a Slot Drive DVD-ROM then painted black (because I can only find white), or just a normal Black DVD-ROM. You can also notices I painted the drive rails, and clips.(NOTE: Do not try an paint the drive rails, only paint the metal part. I painted the drive rails black, and now they're hard to push in and pull out)

[​IMG]
    Here is the awfull cable managment, the plan is to drill some holes in the back and hide all the wires. Also, you can notice I started to paint some things. I need to re-paint the bottom drive cage, and the PSU. The top red drive cage is how the bottom one will be painted, anything that rubs will be left silver, and the rest red (I'll update with a picture to explain). When I get a chance, i'm going to de-rivit the whole thing, and paint mostly everything black, the only thing I won't paint black with be the 5" bays, that will be red.

[​IMG]
    I put a window in my PSU as you can see, and 2 red LEDs, resistor running parallel on the PSU fans power. I'm going to recut and sand this better, and maybe etch some eye candy designs to give it more of a eye catching look.

[​IMG]
    Most of you have seen this before, but I tinted my window with I think 20% tint. I messed up, and though you can't see it, there are bubbles and other messups. I'm going to take this pre-modded window out, and put in smoked plexi. (The CCFL is on in this picture, in the first computer picture, you can't really see the window, but you can get an idea of how dark it is, you can barely see through it. NINJA)
    [​IMG]
    I started the second clear plexi bezel, i'll probably finish it tomorrow.

I have and idea for a Fanbus, I just need to learn how to make them, or maybe buy one and rip it up and put it where I want it.

Till next update.

2. error.ini

Oki, *UPDATE* time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is how I will be painting both cages, i'm not going to paint the silver parts black because they rub on things often, and it would just scratch off and look more messy.

Anyways, onto today's project: Cable Managment and such.
    [​IMG]
    First, i'm going to drill a hole in the back for my CCFL, out of the way where no one can see it.

[​IMG]
    Mmmm, Dremel Multipurpose bit and router attachment.

[​IMG]
    TA-DUUUUR!

[​IMG]
    I'm going to find a way to hide this mess of cables.

[​IMG]
    Ok, ghettofied solution! I'm so good at being ghetto. Thank god we won't be see inside this panel.

[​IMG]
    Now that the connectors are hidden, what are we going to do with this rat's nest?

[​IMG]
    For all my straight cuts, i'll use this awesome cheap tool. The Score.

[​IMG]
    Break the score lines.

[​IMG]
    Mmmm, the cleanest cuts. And if you use the tool right, it only takes about 4 cuts with the score before you need break it. (NOTE: Do not try breaking with your hands, it will not break the cut, and just shatter and cut you)

[​IMG]
    Here is the solution to the rat's nest. Painted the back black. It was really clean, but I had to do another coat, and some how the front got all dirty like that. Those marks won't come off, and I have no idea where they came from. I'm probably going to re-do this piece. *tear* EDIT* Actually, I think I know what did it, when I went to put a second coat of black, I put it on this piece of wood ouside (NOTE: I live in gay ass florida), and it mught have been to hot and semi-melted the front and scuffed.

[​IMG]
    Booya, how does it look? Don't forget, i'm going to re-paint the whole PSU and the rest of my computer when I get 3 free days where I won't need machine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yay! \o/

So that's it for today's update. What do you think? Does the inside look much cleaner now?

3. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I really like this mod, very clean look.

Getting the curve right at the bottom of the front plexi panel can be a pain, I eventually twigged on the idea of using the door as a template.

I might have to steal your idea for hiding the cables and stuff at the top of the case

[​IMG]

4. Twernmilt

Twernmilt What's a Dremel?

I think i like it better without the tinted window for some reason

5. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Looking good so far. I really like the tinted window - subtle, carries on the 'dark' theme and looks great when the lights go on inside the case. Excellent hiding of your cables too! :thumb:

I look forward to seeing what else you come up with for the case. Keep it up.

:)

6. error.ini

Whoa, G-gnome! You and DDKnight were the people that made me go "ok, time to stop being a ***** and break out the tools". Thanks for the insperation!

Last edited: 11 Oct 2003
  7. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

It's a pleasure.

Also, I forgot to mention - Nice write up as well. I think a good project can suffer with bad pics and descriptions but it's obvious you are making a good effort to document everything step-by-step and taking some nice pics as well. Thanks for sharing it with us.

btw have you thought about re-sizing the images to, say 400x300 or so? The ones you have are just fine though, and if you don't have the software to do it no probs (heck, yours are wayyy smaller than some!). You really don't lose much from 640x480 to 400x300 (throw a 'sharpen' filter in PShop if you are concerned) and the result is lots more pics on screen, quicker load times and less scrolling. Keeping the pics to 35-50k each seems to be the load-speed/quality sweet spot for a 400x300 pic.

It looks like there will be a lot of great shots in here before you are done. This is only a suggestion to help the poor 56k'ers like me. :)

Keep up the good work. :dremel:

8. error.ini

Ah, I already decreased the quality, but I will down the image size tomorrow. Sorry about that =)

Thanks for the compliments, I'm a bad writter and misspell and skip over words(no idea why. I think I think faster then I type) a lot, sorry in advanced for that. =)

EDIT* I have 2 VFDs on the way, can't wait to pop that in, with the smoked plexi and all. ^_^

9. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

No need to apologise dude, it is only a suggestion, the pics are ok as they are as well.

If you are worried about spelling etc, don't forget the power of editing. I'm always going back editing and fixing spelling etc.

The VFDs sound good - and two of 'em! :hip:

10. Bob 1234

Bob 1234 What's a Dremel?

Looking really good! :thumb:

Btw: what's the scar on your arm from, looks pretty nasty :eeek:

-Bob

11. error.ini

Went to some car stores, and then to Walmart last night.

[​IMG]
    I originally got %5 tint at walmart, but it was WAY to dark, so I took it back this morning and got 25%. I may just go with all tint, instead of smoked plexi. I will see when the plexi comes in.

Tint: $10 (Walmart)
    Black Vinyl Dye: $3-4 (Walmart)
    Sqeegy, knife, Film Aid: $5 (Home depot)

Note: I tested out the tint with that film aid stuff, it works really well, better than windex and things of that nature.

12. error.ini

First experince with vinyl dye.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I won't explain the process, since 99% of people know how to use vinyl dye.

Mind my old ass desk and mouse pad.

13. b_dyche

b_dyche What's a Dremel?

exactly what I need to do to my mouse... that and swap the red bottom for a blue one...

nice job!

14. Twernmilt

Twernmilt What's a Dremel?

do they make other colors of bottoms for those? and if so where

15. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

Is that a first gen apple keyboard with the top cover off?

16. error.ini

No, it's a Apple Pro Keyboard.
    [​IMG]

17. Okipa

Okipa What's a Dremel?

i want ti know how do you adapt apple keyboard on pc computer??

Thx

18. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

they are USB ?

19. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

No need to adapt, they just work.

20. error.ini

It has a built in USB hub with 2 USB ports.

You just plug the keyboard in, and Windows XP Pro detects it.

I did have to get this programs called "applekeys2.exe" that turns F13-15, into PrntScrn and such.