1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Machine refuses any incoming connections?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Invictus., 23 Aug 2017.

1. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Hi there,

I've been tearing my hair out a bit with a PC that is refusing any machine being able to access it across the network. The machine times out when you attempt to ping it through its IP or "name". I've enabled NetBios over TCP/IP along with allowing ICMP through the firewall as these have been fixes on other machines but I've had no luck with this one. It can connect to all the other machines and access their shared drives but blocks out the reverse.

Has anyone experienced this before or has any idea of a fix? Sorry if it isn't too clear on whats up in short its basically 1 machine is refusing all incoming connections yet everything is identical (other than the account running on the machine)

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Is it Windows? Have you tried stopping Windows Firewall enforcing on the interface? Open it from Control Panel and bring up the advanced properties, then turn off your troublesome interface as a monitored interface.

3. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Sorry should have said, yeah all the machines are running Windows 10 Pro.

I've tried running with the Firewall off totally & Sophos disabled and had no success with that either which is why it's been annoying me so much, there doesn't seem to be a clear thing that is blocking everything.

4. Zoon

Is it classified as a home or public network?

5. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

the network is running through a domain. Sorry should've likely said that to start, but it can't be the domain blocking anything as all the other machines would have the same issue surely?

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Does ipconfig /all show anything odd on the client machine having problems like missing DNS servers, wrong gateway, subnet or the like.

7. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

From the ground up:
    • Make sure all cables are straight cables (no need crossover cables anymore) and are in good condition;
    • All machines are in the same VLAN, subnet, have individual IPs and DNS is correct on all systems;
    • Make sure IPv4 is enabled on the interface, perhaps try disabling IPv6;
    • Make sure the domain is identical on all systems and each system has an individual name;
    • Disable Windows Firewall or any AntiVirus/Firewalling service that may be running just to test.

This is all I can remember for now.

8. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Thanks for the replies :)

ipconfig displays the same DNS servers & gateways etc.

IPv4 & v6 are enabled on all machines, I'll attempt disabling v6. The domain is identical to all other machines. I've attempted disabling the firewall previously with no success. It can ping out and connect to all other machines, it just refuses the incoming which is why it's so annoying.

9. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Are you actually getting a "connection refused" when pinging that server? Or are you getting a timeout? Have you tried a traceroute as well? There should only be one hop if they're on the same VLAN.

10. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Found the issue.. and I feel a bit silly for not noticing it earlier. On the machine when you do ipconfig /all you get an internal IP of 192.168.35.x which is the same as all other machines. However when you do a ping <pcname> it attempts to ping 192.168.42.x for some reason. Changing the PC name on the domain seems to have fixed it, despite the PC name being unique all other machines have a different IP listed for that name :S

11. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

It's not DNS

There's no way it's DNS

It was DNS

12. Zoon

This is the main mantra of r/sysadmin.