1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Lounge pc on wifi, slow network speeds

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by CrapBag, 26 Aug 2017.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

We have just had fibre installed and I am very happy with our results.

Gone from about a 4 meg line to 37 meg.

Wolfenstein old blood was stating 2 days download on the old and in the end came down in just over 2 hours.

My pc shows 37ish on speedtest, my phone says around 30 with the speedtest app but my lounge pc is only hitting 7.

Is it just a poor built in wifi card on the motherboard, do I maybe need to think about home plugs (we already have 3 running for other pc's) as I want to use this pc to stream from amazon video.

The motherboard is an MSI Z87i

2. Rydema

Rydema What's a Dremel?

Firstly where is the router located? Does it have other electrical equipment around it? Also is the router on the floor or low to the ground?

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

What's the signal strength and connection speed to the router? It most likely is poor connection to the router itself.

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Okay the router is on a small chest of drawers in my dining room, approx. 2.5 feet off the floor.

The PC is in the lounge on top of our pine TV cabinet which is about 4 feet off the floor and in direct line of site of the router and about 18 feet away.

Signal strength seems fine how do I check the speed to the router, sorry networking has never been my strong point.

5. Rydema

Rydema What's a Dremel?

Ok so depending on how much traffic is going through the router depends on how much internet your going to get. Consoles, gaming online and streaming to the internet obviously your gonna be looking at monster usage and thus slow connection. However I'd strongly advise against wifi gaming unless your router is top of the range all singing all dancing coffee making one. If you have a router that your ISP supplies chances are, it's going to be equipped with bog standard firmware that isn't designed for monster usages.

If you can wire something it, wire it! Keep wifi for phones and tablets and laptops that are doing non-gaming things. If your router can be elevated to chest high and not in a corner then do so.

Also make sure there are no other electricals around it as this can disturb the signal, it might also be worth going into the router and changing the channel settings as there might be other routers with the same channel and you will be clashing with each other trying to stream bandwidth over the same airwaves

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Everything else works fine, phones over wifi are perfect, great speeds its just that one pc, it's only used for offline gaming and streaming films really which it still does okay but at half the speed of everything else.

I'll test it again when everyone else is off their devices.

The router sky have supplied only has 2 Ethernet ports which is ridiculous in this day and age.

7. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Sounds like you have the new Sky Q hub thing which supports wireless AC. Replace the wireless card on the motherboard with one of these (no other changes required) and you should notice a large improvement.