1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. davido_labido

davido_labido Your Alphacool Contact.

aaah, great stuff :) I didn't realise he had contacted you, I thought he might be still looking. Spot on! :)

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yeh a few quick fire PM's, as I mentioned a few posts up my village PO only stays open til 1, so some quick packing and a quick cycle to catch it before it shuts, plus I think the posty does the collection a little earlier I believe. :clap:

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Thanks guys you rock. Should be sorted, hopefully it is just the switch itself. I think the switches being some clone things does not help matters. Having said that it was £29 and I've had it an age. I am not gentle or nice to my keyboards. They get really dirty from me working around them all the time. Sticker gum, dust and dirt from modding etc etc. I think putting a real cherry switch in there should fix it :) I'll also be honest, it's filthy. For weeks and weeks I've been promising myself I would take off all the keys and put them in a bucket of soapy water and scrub them all/brush down the deck, but it hasn't happened. Maybe this is Karma telling me to stop being a lazy **** :D

4. davido_labido

awesome job. I would have had to do similar (closes at 2pm here)

5. davido_labido

ooou, I missed this @Lankius Maximus . Yeah, the Whitefox is awesome although I don't use it as much as I should. It cost me between £250 and £300 overall I think after the import costs etc. I do like how it has that it is the first batch on the bottom though, gives it a little bit of exclusivity.

6. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Jumped on the band wagon and got myself a Corsair Strafe with silent switches. I know many won't consider it the best or the best value but the silent switches sold me. It has everything I need and it should last for a good few years.

On how I feel about it, at first I was dubious as it feels so much different to a rubber dome keyboard but now I don't think I could go back. Just getting used to not having to bottom out the keys as the keys register so easily but not so easily as to be a problem.

In short, I have been converted.

Last edited: 8 Jul 2017
  7. Vault-Tec

Yay. All fixed. It was the switch, so thanks for sending them CB. I chucked all of the keys into a bucket of hot soapy water, let them soak for 30 mins then scrubbed them all with a tooth brush. Looking good ! I've got proper granny hands now though.

I'll let them dry off a bit (they are on a bath mat) and then dry them with a towel. But yeah, space bar works lovely :)

hehe

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Anyone know somewhere I can grab a cheap controller board for a Filco Majestouch TKL?

The only thing I can find is the Pegasus Hoof programmable controller, and it probably costs more than the board is worth.

I'm also after some Costar stabs.

Cheers
    Dave

9. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

I'm thinking about putting together a DIY planck. Just wondering where I can get a cheap top plate and case from, anyone have any ideas?

10. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Looking for a new work keyboard, iso layout, white back-lit, blue or brown switches. As it's the work drive I don't want to spend an awful lot of money. A quick look about and a refurbished K70 seems the best/option unless someone can point me somewhere else?

11. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

I am considering an upgrade from my current keyboard and mouse (Logitech MX 5000 and MX Revolution), as the age and use are beginning to show on each. With that said, I love both of these devices. It is hard to say whether I love this keyboard because the feel is right or if it is because I have had two MX 3000 and an MX 3100 prior to this keyboard and therefore have been using similar keys for well over a decade. It is therefore hard for me to understand the benefits that a mechanical keyboard will provide for me. Nonetheless, these devices are on their way out and a replacement of the same model is not available.

I took a recent trip to Best Buy to try out various mechanical keyboards in real life. I was disappointed that they did not have whole keyboards with the various switch options, only a small bar with one key per switch. Per some experimentation with that, I believe that the Razer Orange switches are the closest aligned with the feel I am looking for, but I was not able to try out a whole keyboard with this layout, only the one switch. The noise of the Razer Green irritates me, and while I liked the Razer Yellow, I do prefer a bit of tactile resistance.

The biggest issue for me is that I don't like the layout of most of the keyboards. Everything felt to chunky and the palmrests were too low on the keys. I also am really looking for a keyboard with a volume dial and media keys. I was expecting for the Razer keyboards to be a natural fit for me, but from the ones I tried, the Corsair keyboards seemed best aligned (K70 or K95). I like Logitech, but the G series keyboards are way too angular for me and do not feel good. I did like the feel of the G series mice though.

I write for a living, so spending some money here is not an issue. What should I do? Buy the Corsair because it seems alright?
    • I do want RBG backlighting (Blue specifically, as my computer has all blue fans)
    • I liked the Razer Orange keys, so Cherry MX Brown seems like it would work too
    • I want a dial/scroll volume control, preferably on the left hand side of the keyboard
    • I want full media keys
    • I want a calculator key that launches the calculator app
    • Wired/wireless are both fine with me
    • I want a palmrest that is attached/integrated with the keyboard
    • I need a number pad
    • Price is not an obstacle
    • Technical skills are not an obstacle, I could build my own if that's what makes the most sense
    Thoughts?

12. Hwedi

Hwedi What's a Dremel?

Well im using corsair k70 rgb lol ikr, and I can't be any happier. Mechanical keyboards are the way to go. Although my k70 is a bit expensive atm but I would highly recommend it, however if you not interested in that price range I would say find you a good one with decent warranty and you will be set to go.

13. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

I've been mulling this for a while; and I think that some of your 'requirements' might cause issues.

I love the Ducky boards, I have 3, my daily at home is the Ducky Shine 5
    which has: RGB backlight, comes in pretty much any Cherry switch (i have browns) has volume +,-, mute & calc keys,
    It doesnt have a dial/scroll volume control or a palm rest

The only one I can think of that gives what the Ducky doesn't is the Corsair Vengeance K70 - which has a palm rest, media keys (play/pause/stop/skip), a scroll wheel-ish volume control; but you lose the calculator hotkey.

Hope that helps...

14. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I have a Quickfire TK Stealth if that interests you? has cherry brown switches, caps are a bit shiny but I haven't used it for the last 3 years, has just sat in a box. £40ish is what I want out of it.

15. Vault-Tec

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got one of those out on Prime today. £20.99.

16. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I think it's horrible haha

17. Vault-Tec

It was cheap :D

18. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Eeesh!

19. silk186

silk186 Derp

It doesn't look great, not a name that I've come across when I was looking at local brands in China.
    That said, the price is similar to what you would pay locally so it is a great back-up.

20. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Thanks for the offer, but I'd want a full board. Got a quickfire xt at the minute, just fancied a change to go with replacing my g5, which has developed a nasty death cough. But that's a different thread altogether.