1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPad homepage not rendering well

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by timmehtimmeh, 4 Sep 2017.

1. timmehtimmeh

timmehtimmeh Minimodder

Hey guys, just a small nag but i'd love for you to better organise your bit tech page and articles format nicer on an iPad with your new CMS.

Perhaps you're aware it doesn't scale nicely, or perhaps not.

I miss the old Bit-tech :(

2. timmehtimmeh

timmehtimmeh Minimodder

it's missing some nice padding around the article divs. If its meant to be more optimised for tablets, i'd ditch it and just use your desktop variant. Save that mobile version for ... mobiles.

3. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

So you're not a fan of the 2 articles per row view we have? Don't think any of us have iPads so we rely on the way chrome displays it. Do you have any examples of websites that look good on iPad? preferably news sites.

4. timmehtimmeh

timmehtimmeh Minimodder

The verge .. but their old formatting was great.

Hexus, Anandtech, kitguru. It’s a minor thing but it seems a shame that it’s not formatting very nicely. I seem to recall safari on iPads report an xga resolution to the web server but I could be wrong. The padding and alignment is perfect on chrome desktop.

5. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

We'll have to do some research as to how different tablets are formatting the site and go from there. I'm sure with the people in the office we can find some tablets to do some testing. Currently we're really busy with some other projects such as improving the workflow for our editors but I'm sure we could have a look at things in some down time with some input from members.

I'm sure @Bradley will be glad to hear that.

From looking at the site's you mentioned you either want it to look pretty much the same as the desktop version or use a mobile layout that makes the articles "big" with large thumbnails sort of how windows has started making their start menus in the last few years.

EDIT: could you post a screenshot of what it looks like on iPad just to confirm it's not doing something weird.