1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bit-tech 2017 refresh feedback: Forum usability questions (Please go here first!)

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Dogbert666, 27 Jun 2017.

1. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

Thanks! This is close enough that it doesn't force me to change my click habits much. You are awesome!

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I just noticed on the sidebar of the forum index that I have points in addition to my likes. Sorry if it's been covered before, but where did those come from? What's the difference?

3. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

These are to do with the "trophies" you can get on the forums for certain achievements. We don't use them much.

DragunovHUN likes this.
  4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I know i've made a running joke of it, but will we ever get more than 20 posts per page?

I want my 100 back, but i'd make do with 40...

5. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

unfortunately no. It would ruin the perma links to posts.

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

wah.

But fair enough - thanks for trying.

7. MLyons

I'm still looking to see if there's a way around the link issue but I'm not confident. :sigh:

8. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

It's a tiny gripe...but I just noticed the descenders are cut off from the names on the "Latest" column of the forum index. e.g. The last two posts in the general and serious sections were by KavinBlack and Corkv42

MLyons likes this.
  9. MLyons

No idea how you even spotted that. will fix now

EDIT: Done

VipersGratitude likes this.
  10. wst

wst Minimodder

I landed here from a link saying about "Forum/Website usability queries go here" so... do I ignore the title of the thread? This one is definitely more website-usability related.

"Click to enlarge" on pictures in articles doesn't enlarge pictures. It just centres them at the same size in a dark background. The image URL is identical as well. Tested in Opera and Chrome.

11. MLyons

Is it that when you go left it then shows the same picture but actually enlarged? If so it's something we are aware of and I'm working on today. It may only provide a small image if the image provided wasn't big to start off with. Also have you noticed this only happening with old articles or all? This is partially due to some articles using small images instead of large images that are then scaled down. To my knowledge all new articles use large source images that we then scale down for the article

Last edited: 7 Sep 2017
  12. wst

wst Minimodder

It was occurring on articles about X370 motherboards so pretty recent ones. I didn't even think to try going left, but that does show me the larger image. I look forward to the fix!

One thing that may be of interest - is there a way to filter reviews by chipset/model number? (As you would if you were buying hardware).

13. MLyons

Only way i can think of is using the search bar at the top right of the page. Think I've got a fix for the image problem and it should be live in a bit.

14. wst

wst Minimodder

Image problem sorted, fantastic. And you have little - I'm loathe to say this - hashtags at the top of articles, so they do the trick as long as your writers use the right ones!

15. MLyons

Yes you can also filter by them. I assumed you meant from the homepage. The image thing still isn't perfect due to the amount of articles we have and the different possibilities of HTML they could use. I might try work on it again next week. :thumb:

16. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Did anything ever come of the revival of Tapatalk support?

I've seen it mentioned and there's at least two of us asking for it :)

17. MLyons

Looked into it and the stats we had. You can count the number of people that used it on one hand... with a few fingers missing. So at the moment it's not seen as a high priority and the forums are actually nice on a phone you just don't get the notifications.

18. dynamis_dk

Ah right never mind then, shame as my use of the forum has taken a down turn since the upgrade as it's not as easy to have a quick 60sec catch up as it is when using the app.

Just out of interest, is it due to the work involved in getting it working? Is it a long job? Cost?

19. MLyons

Would probably take me a few hours plus whatever time it takes for us to find the details to the taptalk account.The issue is we are still ironing out the CMS, working on a few small visual glitches on the forums, Transferring data for benchmarks from the old system (ask @Dogbert666 how this is done :sad:), adding features to the CMS that should be there and aren't and working on multiple other things behind the scenes I don't think I'm allowed to talk about. If we ever get to the stage where we have some spare time I'd like to do it. That few hours also assumes everything goes perfect which as we all know in IT is unlikely. Another issue is that XenForo is meant to be upgrading versions soonish which is meant to change the way plugins work so when that happens along with making sure the forum has basic functionality we'll also have to work that out again. I'd honestly like it as i really like the way some other forums give me notifications from tapatalk. I don't even use it to browse, I only use it for the notifications.

If maybe 25 people used it i would be more likely to say ok then I'll knock it out in a day but for 3 people i don't think it's an efficient use of time. It's also a hard sell as instead of us making money on tapatalk, tapatalk make money from putting ads on our forums so it would be me spending 3 hours to let someone else make money.

20. dynamis_dk

Lol all very valid sounding points

Would be great in the future if it happens but if not it won't be something that keeps me awake at night lol

MLyons likes this.