1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

TBH G I am surprised that circa 96-2000 hardware isn't far more expensive. I guess it will be some day. It is quite popular ATM though so I was expecting to pay more. Another example is the absolutely pristine like new circa mid 90s Sidewinder I bought. £7 inc !

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Somewhere in 'ere I've got a Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro - the original, chunky one - which I just can't bear to get rid of even though I haven't used it in over a decade. I remember firing up Independence War, someone shooting out my lateral thrusters, and the joystick just going floppy and dead in the horizontal axis then shuddering back to centre when my crew had fixed the damage. Amaze.

That was the joystick that had a 286 inside to drive the force feedback stuff. Crazy.

EDIT: Oh, what? There's a USB adaptor board you can build that makes the Force Feedback Pro work on modern systems sans-drivers. Niiiiice.

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Aye, some Amiga hardware really is spenny. Keep meaning to dig out my stuff and see if it's still functioning. I have a horrid feeling that my A1200 will most likely have suffered from RTC battery leakage as I foolishly forgot to take the battery out the last time I put the Amiga in storage, and that was some time ago :(

4. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I still have my one of those in its box. It's amazing. Time to break out the soldering iron, methinks.

5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

That's not "old skool" though. That's vintage. VT is listening to N.W.A., you're listening to Ice-T. Or Elvis.

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Terrible analogy, because N.W.A and Ice-T are pretty much direct contemporaries (and actually Ice-T released stuff well after N.W.A ceased to exist). I'll give you Elvis, though :D

7. Vault-Tec

I knew this kid whose father was loaded. He had one of those FF Sidewinders. It was mind blowing tbh, though I am a pad fan (because I love arcade games).

He was the kid who had everything, and when he came to your house he brought his Zip 100 drive with him just to pose. "Why are you bringing that Barry?" "Because I can".

8. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I didn't think it was a 286 in the joysticks as I thought was 25mhz and I didn't know 286 went up to 25 I thought they were all 20's. But I don't really know about any of that retro geek stuff :D

http://www.descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19061&start=160

more stuff there - looks very doable using a teensy. I have a bag of teensy's.

9. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

You're right, my bad. :(
    *gets more coffee*

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm probably misremembering, though I feel sure it was an x86 of some flavour...

The bumph just says "16-bit on-chip processor," and Wikipedia's unhelpful. This guy tears one down but doesn't bother to identify the processor. Adverts at the time called it a "25MHz 16-bit force co-processor."

... I'm going to have to take mine apart, aren't I?

EDIT:
    Well, that was a lot of screws for very little payoff.

[​IMG]

That's got... 80 pins, right? If we assume I didn't dream it being an x86 of some description, the 80186 - which is 16-bit, scales up to 25MHz, and according to this database (scroll down to "TS80C186EB13") was available in 80-pin plastic QFP format in the mid 90s - would be my guess, especially as the 80186 and 80188 were commonly used in peripheral devices. This site confirms there was a 25MHz 80-pin PQFP 80186 produced under the ID S80C186EB25, so I'm going to go ahead and guess that's what's hiding under Microsoft branding.

As final validation Intel's own datasheet confirms a 25MHz 80186/80188 variant in 80-pin QFP - and the pin-out traces nicely on the board (things like the voltage lines going to voltage pins and what have you.) I reckon we have a match, there.

Off-by-one error in my memory, I guess!

Last edited: 22 Sep 2017
    Vault-Tec likes this.
  11. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I've been corresponding with a gentleman In Netherlands for the past few weeks, he has a huge collection of vintage cameras and I needed a few parts to repair one of mines. After a week without news, I received a message saying that he posted the parts and to forget about money. Generosity from strangers is always a breeze.

goldstar0011 likes this.
  12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

It certainly is.

13. Vault-Tec

Finding Brucie bonuses in my drawers (fnarr)

[​IMG]

It is very rare to find people who are as passionate about something as you are. When they are money matters very little, it's that thought that someone feels as happy as you do. So that's awesome.

14. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

New computer chair for my birthday. My old one had a cracked bracket under the seat which meant that when I sat in it I was leaning about 10° off vertical.

15. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

you're such a legend :) <3

16. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I just fixed my old iPhone 6 - that is to say I replaced the screen, and everything works perfectly.
    That said - I also think the replacement screen for the iPhone 5 i got is shot... can't get that to work properly - anyone with experience - drop me a PM if you care to sanity check me.

Still - feels good to have saved 65% on a replacement screen for the 6.

17. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Anything here? https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/136408/iPhone+5+Black+screen+after+screen+replacement

18. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

19. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Terry's chocolate oranges... Local Tesco was doing a "buy 1, get 2 free" deal. So I walked out with 12, naturally.

20. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

What's the technical term for 12 chocolate oranges?
    A... bushel?