1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU i7-8700K vs i7-8700?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nightblade628, 11 Oct 2017.

1. nightblade628

nightblade628 Minimodder

Major trouble deciding on a CPU guys, and advice would be greatly appreciated. To go with this new build spec (already ordered):

GTX 1080ti
    16GB 2666MHz RAM
    Existing 144Hz 1080p G-Sync monitor (will soon upgrade to at least 1440p 144Hz monitor, hence the TI)

The decision is between the Intel Core i7-8700K (95W), and the Core i7-8700 (65W)

The 8700K will run at it's stock speeds of 3.7GHz (4.7GHz in Turbo mode) whereas the 8700 only runs at 3.2GHz (4.6Ghz Turbo Mode)

I got my order in for an i7-8700K within an hour or two of being available on Launch day on the 5th of October. I should be in the first 100 buyers so I should be on track for the first batch of chips they receive. Problem is, they're only due to arrive 1 November at the earliest, mid-December at the latest. It's an irritatingly long wait.

I found an i7-8700 in stock online and I'm thinking of just using that instead since it's available instantly, but I'm concerned about performance differences and I can't find a single review online comparing the 8700's performance to the 8700K (if anyone knows of one I'd be grateful if you could share it!!).

How much difference do you think I'm likely to see based on that 0.5GHz difference in gaming performance? Am I just being pedantic by wanting the proper chip, or would I regret settling a month or two early for something I can get right now?

Price isn't an issue and I had no plans on Overclocking the chip in the near future, I simply wanted the higher out-of-the-box clock speeds.

(comparing the performance of the 8700K to the Ryzen chips, I just happen to prefer Intel's offering and performance, nothing against AMD of course)

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Depends on the turbo mode. I have not looked into it yet, but if the locked chip does 4.2ghz + on every core or more then it may be worth the saving. Sadly Intel state 4.6ghz but that's likely to be one core.

3. Vault-Tec

[​IMG]

Just found that. OK, so there is no difference at all between the 8700 and 8700k at stock speed for boosts on all cores. As I said, that should be fine. 4.3ghz is enough IMO unless of course you want to overclock much higher.

4. nightblade628

nightblade628 Minimodder

Thanks mate, that's a HUGE help.

5. Vault-Tec

Unfortunately after what I read today it may not be. Apparently Intel are now refusing to quote actual all core boost speeds and instead have said that they will only state base clocks and single core turbo clocks. Apparently it's due to binning (so expect some batches to be crap at overclocking) and so on. However, as I say, 4.2ghz seems to be a nice place to be on all cores for gaming purposes, so hopefully they won't lower them too much.

6. nightblade628

nightblade628 Minimodder

I'm still really happy considering the real-world performance difference at this stage will be unnoticeable, and you've saved me a month+ of waiting.

I'm not sure if what Intel have said applies only now going forward, because I vaguely remember reading those individual core clock speeds some weeks before the 5 October release day. I think what you posted above is still correct regarding each core's individual clock speed. I just think that's the last time that'll ever be reported in such detail.

Managed to order the 8700 and as long as it doesn't bottleneck the GPU I'll be pleased regardless. I mean, if dropping the K means my frame-rate plummets downwards to 158.9fps from 160fps, I'm sure that between the Morphine, smoking, and rampant alcohol abuse I'll have to take up, I'll find some way to cope with such a difficult and tragic performance loss. :grin:

Next year's CPUs will simply be "MASSIVE 6 GHz CHIP!!! *with all cores combined, otherwise each Core is locked at 1GHz. Good luck figuring that one out, you unINTELligent morons