1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Blade Runner 2049 – Gorgeous/10

I stayed away from all promos and trailers before catching this in IMAX, and it blew.me.away. I think the primary takeway was the stunning visuals, but don't let that detract from the fact that this is also a fantastic film. Mad props to all involved for not shitting the bed (okay, low bar) and actually doing a phenomenal job (there ya go).

Also, I want to have Roger Deakins babies.

2. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Deepwater Horizon: 7/10

A surprisingly decent watch. Not too much "MURICA!" shenanigans and if it's even remotely true to the actual events, bloody hell it's surprising anyone made it off that thing alive.

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

The studio released a few shorts that link the old movie to the new one
    Adam Savage (Mythbusters) is actually in a short that wasn't in the theatrical release. He did a BTS walkthrough of the set yesterday.

The full short is here. There are 2 others here & here
    They are designed to be watched before the movie.

(videos linked not embedded so those who haven't seen the movie don't get spoilered).

Last edited: 19 Oct 2017
  4. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them 6/10

It was sold as Harry Potter's material but I didn't felt the magic.

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Blade Runner 2049 is, without doubt, visually stunning - eventually, after wading through a half hour of ****ing ads and trailers, waiting for it to start. I really wish they'd list films by the time the opening credits start to roll - I just coughed up my hard-earned to watch this and you diminish the cinema experience by throwing 30 minutes of shite at me?! (pet peeve)

I enjoyed it and left the cinema satisfied, but I think I need to watch it again and ruminate a while before I can say more.

Last edited: 20 Oct 2017
  6. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

F&F8
    Stick a fork in it, it's done /10

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

They've been milking it for ten years, man.

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It took you until the 8th one to notice... the 8th one...

9. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

FF1, Tokyo Drift & Fast Five. Everything else can be discarded IMHO

10. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

cars 3 7/10 for me, kinda enjoyed it. but mater and chums are hardly used in this. and although i could see where they were heading with this as after an hour in they begin dropping hints. my kids enjoyed and loved the previous 2 films and much to my surprise questioned the way they ended it and wernt really happy with the ending. 6/10 from my kids

what miffed them was lightning was owning F1 type cars in part 2 yet struggled with newish nascar type cars all because they train on vr sims and are slightly more aerodynamic? retiring lightning was a huge let down for them specially when the trailers and pr around the film pointed towards it being almost a rocky-esque comeback film

11. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

The Dark Tower - 6/10
    The film feels very cool. Very Miss Peregrine's.
    However, It also felt like something was amiss... The ending was underwhelming, and there were some holes in there.
    I reckon part of my "mehness" about this film is due to me knowing nothing about the source material (besides there being 3847 - giver or take a few - books).
    It's not a bad film. It's cool, it looks great, but it left me underwhelmed

12. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Tron:Legacy - 8/10

Not a new film by any stretch of the imagination, but watching it right now, having recorded it on BBC HD a few weeks ago from live TV.

I think the plot is strong, and Jeff Bridges lends his usual burgeoning talent to it, but for me, what really makes it for me, is the faithful HD upgrade to the original imagery, and the absolutely killer soundtrack by Daft Punk, which is a masterpiece. I think without that, the film would just not be the same. It really ties it together and really makes me FEEL like I'm there.

13. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I just couldn't get past how bad some of the CG was [the de-aged Bridges parts mainly]

14. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Cars 3 - 8.5

i enjoyed the original cars even if it did fall into the typical "last second win" trope as so many sport based films often fall into, cars 2 was terrible but 3 was fantastic, yes it suffers a little from the typical trope but puts an interesting spin on it by elegantly covering topics such as growing old and passing the torch. I genuinely laughed and enjoyed it throughout,

Last edited: 27 Oct 2017
  15. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Spider-Man homecoming - 8/10
    I am really impressed with this. In the past, Spiderman was a whiny b*** and that's about it. With this, they managed to make a good spiderman film, where Parker has a personality, AND it fits into the MCU - well done!

16. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Guardians of the Galaxy - 8/10
    Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 7/10

Better than I thought it would be. Like a lot of the tongue in cheek stuff.

17. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

wheelman 7/10 didnt know what i wanted to watch and this showed up as a recommendation when i ran the netflix app on shield tv. preety decent film which pretty much is set during the course of one night in one car trough out. fans of the orignal driver games will love this.

18. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

john wick and john wick chapter 2, 8/10 think all the positive stuff i have heard about both films is well deserved. awesome cast tho and once the shotting starts it dont stop till the credit rolls. i like how the charectors inter act with each other not wasting time and focusing on the action cant wait for chapter 3

19. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Thor Ragnarok 9/10

Very silly movie, utterly hilarious, loved every minute of it. Definitely not everyone's cup of tea but well worth going to see if you need 2 hours of quality escapism.

20. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Dark City (Director's Cut) 7.5/10
    About the first half of the movie I really enjoyed. Nice mystery, atmosphere, visuals. Some wonderful frames seemingly straight out of a Hopper painting. 8.5/10 stuff.
    However the movie gradually starts to get a bit silly, even ramping it up at the final bit. Maybe it's because I was a bit tired while watching, but some of the shots at the dramatic climax were way too fast, making it all a mess of visual noise. Lots of repetitive shots in quick succession too (close-up guy 1, close-up guy 2, action guy 1, action guy 2, repeat), almost like something out of an anime. 6/10 for the ending.
    Didn't enjoy the soundtrack, at multiple points it even got me out of the immersion because of how unfitting and tacky it felt.

Overall mixed feelings but enjoyable, so 7.5/10.