1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Mac keyboard mod- ideas w.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by [GF]Burke, 13 Oct 2003.

1. [GF]Burke

[GF]Burke What's a Dremel?

I have this clear MAC keyboard. I want to do what this guy did. I have El-Wire.

I want to do something like this, but I do not want to use extra cables coming out the back of the keybaord. I just want to run light(s) off the 5v USB that is already internal.

what would you guys do? el-wire? LED's?

thanks.

2. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

move to moddin...

3. penski

penski BodMod

This is an electronics question so it will stay here.

Thank you.

*n

4. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

It's doubtful that you could run EL wire off the USB power lines. For a start almost all compatible inverters use a 12V input. I also expect that it would pull too much current.

If you're careful then you could probably hook up a few LEDs off the internal power, but it really depends how much the keyboard itself uses.

5. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

Have to agree with Nihil. Most of the EL inverters I've seen ran off either 3v, 9v or 12v. The 3v inverters couldn't run all that much EL wire (probably not enough for your intended application).

I'd go with LEDs anyway, cheaper, brighter, lasts longer, ends world hunger, cures cancer, repairs the ozone, and I think they also do the dishes as well (ok, maybe not ALL of those...).

6. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

Iv'e heard suggestions of sending 12v over the 5v ps2/USB line and using a 5v linear voltage regulator to get 5v for the keyboard.

Though you would have to have a port that was 12v and clearly labled, or possibly a switch between 5v for normal stuff, and 12v for the keyboard. If you feel comfortable modding the motherboard that is.

7. [GF]Burke

lol.

thanks.

well this thing is also a USB HUB, having 2 ports on it for other devices.

so, i will go with LED's.

should i look for "5v LED's".. or should i get like five "1v led's" ?

not sure on how that works.. i can do the rest, just need to know wich ones to buy.. and resistors if necessary.

thanks again~

8. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

Look for low current leds, that way you can get more in the kb.

9. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

But low current LEDs aren't as bright :rolleyes:

10. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

Click my sig, then go near the end. You only need one extra wire to go to the keyboard to power anything you want.

Contrary to what you may believe the 5v going through the USB cable isnt just like the 5v in your PSUs cables. Its 5v, but very low amperage (or whatever) Even trying to power just a few LEDs of the keyboar'ds internal port and I was running into problems where windows would lose the keyboard or its built in hub at times. I ran an extra cable to the keyboard and hooked it up to the LEDs and its internal ports, so my keyboard should never get low on power.

edit: The lighting is much more even than the garbage camera lets on. it looks very good.

i'm thinking of ditching the LEDs and putting a small cathode in there with the inverter in an external enclosure. should give off lots of light!

11. [GF]Burke

WOw. . got side-tracked.. thats a frik'n tight setup bro.!

well, if i must run extra wires, ill just do the El-wire mod.. that i can handle.. and no effects apon the keyboard itself.

u guys know your stuff, what i was looking for was "Go into radio shack as say you want '3 red 2v LED's' and '2 blablaba resistors' "

but i like to be edumakated anyways..

thanks again~

:geek: