1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I had a fear of Dentists for many years possible due to the fact my Dentist during my formative years was known as 'Butcher' Blackburne. God knows why my parents insisted in going there as his reputation was widely known in Barnsley. The nicest thing you could say about him was that he was brutal and incompetent, I think he got off on the pain.

When I moved to Southend I found a great dentist who helped me conquer my fear almost completely. Unfortunately a few tears ago a tooth broke, was extremely painful but was offered an appointment 15 days ahead instead of within a day or 2 so I switched to a new practice that was setting up.

My current Dentist is trendy but incompetent. He not only knocked off a crown when pulling a tooth a couple of years ago but also stuck it back on incorrectly so it now digs into the side of my mouth. As I was anaesthetised at the time I didn't realise until later that it was a problem. He now claims it can't be removed and reset.

He fitted a crown on another tooth recently. He prepared it by grinding it down and put a temporary crown on which left me in a fair bit of pain for the couple of weeks I had to wait for the crown to be prepared. When I went back for fitting for some reason the crown didn't fit. Rather than immediately take another mould he ground down the tooth again, took the mould and a week later the crown was fitted. Because he ground it down so much it's now extremely sensitive to hot and cold again and is set too high as well.

I'm looking to go crawling back to my old Dentist and ask to be taken on again. Then I'll raise an official complaint about the 'bodger'.

My wife has perfect teeth and also uses the 'bodger' and I'm trying to persuade her to go elsewhere as I don't want him to f*** up her teeth as well.

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I line them up, you knock 'em down...

Ouch. Sounds savage. Apparently if the roots are splayed, the only option is cutting the gum open and breaking them up. It won't be a general for me either I don't think, I'll just have to be a brave, numb, boy...

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I thought you could ask for and receive a general anesthetic for wisdom teeth removal but it seems not. About 8 years ago they wanted to reinsert a PEG, which is a feeding tube through and into your stomach, but memories of the first insertion which was possible the most painful experience I have ever endured meant that I insisted that if I was going to have it done then it was a general or it was not happening. I am quite weird when it comes to local anesthesia as it does not work to well.
    As it happens I decided I was not going to have it reinserted anyway, horrible things.

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

My teeth are a mess as a result of NHS dentistry and the aversion to dentists that caused...

Basically i'm at the point wrt dentistry where if i'm conscious... it ain't happening... it's just not... which means going private, which I can't afford [not that i can afford nhs dental treatment either tbh]...

EDIT: for the record I've caused 2 dentists to require trips to hospital... broke one guys nose whilst not-quite-fully-under... I accidentally broke the hand of another... 'squeeze my hand if this hurts' indeed...

Last edited: 27 Oct 2017
  5. captain firespray

captain firespray What's a Dremel?

i actually thought i had destroyed everyone of those rigs, bringing back bad memories, dentists in those days were trained by the gestapo, lol

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Last time I had a tooth pulled I managed both. I wasn't expecting the tooth to be pulled that fast. But I was in loads of pain and she said "Do you just want me to take it out?" and I figured now or never. I am terrified of the dentist, always have been. But I had built up some zen over the years and actually enjoyed it. Mostly because for a decade I sat with broken teeth that hurt all of the time and used to get infected etc. I should stop grinding really but it's impossible. Any way, I decided to just get it over and done with so she pulled it. It was a freezing cold day and I had told my wife not to bother driving because nothing was going to be done so I would walk back. Big mistake. I walked about a mile in freezing temps and it just bled profusely. By the time I had gotten to the docs and argued over my prescription (long story) I had swallowed a lot of blood. I came in and sat on the sofa feeling sorry for myself, then I came over faint. My (now ex) wife said "Come and lie down in bed". I got about half way and fainted, dislocating my shoulder. Thankfully I got it back in but yeah, sucked. Swallowing blood apparently makes you faint. I didn't know that.

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

It has never bothered me.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 28 Oct 2017
  8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

He didn't specify whose blood it was...

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I think it's more likely a drop in blood pressure, combiined with being out in the cold to a warm house. Possibly also mild shock. Second tooth i had i almost fainted in the reception after, I'd had it done first thing so hadn't eaten or drank anything which i thought was for the best. turns out not. had to sit there for a while siping on lucozade while my step dad had to come fetch me.

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

It is almost Halloween so she has to wear stockings with witches on them to go to the bingo.
    What can I say?
    [​IMG]

11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Nice pins?

Got headbutted by my nephew in my new gap this afternoon. Almost threw up on him. lol

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Only having one laptop or computer in the house when the other half needs to do coursework. Don't really want to buy a second cheapy laptop for her to do coursework on until I know just how badly the insurance is going to shaft me.

I tried using a Raspberry Pi 3 as a desktop machine, and... Hahahahahaha no.

Now if someone would buy my drone off me, that might lighten my mood somewhat...

13. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Surely n+1 PCs in a house for n occupants...
    I'd offer you my Atom dual core netbook to use, but frankly I think that the R Pi is faster. It seems to offer a same day service on booting. As the hard drive is buried under the motherboard, requiring a full strip, I can't face fitting a cheap SSD to see if it runs any faster.
    On eth other hand, you're welcome to borrow my dual core low power ITX barebones that would run office a treat.

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

We are going to get a second machine, but I need to wait for my insurance to pull their finger out first and tell me how much they're going to screw me for. Some thieving little **** tried to steal my 2-week old motorbike and wrote it off in the process. Long story short, I've had to sell off a lot of stuff to help pay excesses and stuff but I'm still going to end up out of pocket by a significant margin by the time the dust settles. I can't justify any more purchases - not even a ~£150 ThinkPad - until the insurance gives me a settlement offer.

Appreciate the offer though just the same :thumb:.

15. Arboreal

The offer was in the knowledge of your current upsetting situation. :sigh: Just makes your blood boil, the damage and grief these people create.
    Seriously, I could send you my Thinkpad X61 if it's any help. (forgot it was resting in a drawer...). - probably more so than the ITX Frankenrig

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Thanks man, let me have a think about it :). I'm going to want a bunch of upgrades when I finally get all this sorted anyway.

Arboreal likes this.
  17. Arboreal

No problem, no pressure! Happy to help

18. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Don't you just love it when our better half have 'notions?'
    My good lady decided she wanted to rearrange the furniture but forgetting that all my cable management has revolved around the furniture being where it is.
    So this morning I have had to raid various boxes looking for mini trunking, cable to extend power supplies ETC ETC to move or rearrange the wiring for various bit and bobs.

19. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Started the week with a nice little shunt on the way to work this morning...

Was coming down a slip road that merges onto a dual carriageway as well as being a 3rd lane by itself to join up to the motorway a few hundred metres up (A14/M11 if anyone is familiar with the area). Silver Audi in front of me could see the stationary traffic trying to get in on the dual carriageway and, without touching the brakes or indicating, dived down the hard shoulder to go around it, leaving me with just enough time to slow down and not completely write the car off (literally started the car up about 90 seconds ago at this point, so cold tyres and brakes + slippery road surface). Air bags went off, and all the plastic bits at the front have been cracked to prices, but doesn't look like it got any further than that... The first piece of actual mechanical hardware behind the superficial stuff is the radiator fan, and that still has all the blades and spins freely.

But still, I went into the back of someone, so I'm at fault regardless. £500 excess is gonna sting, but isn't end of the world. Admiral only take the most recent 2 years NCB off on 1st claim too, so I still get 2 years and my insurance won't go mad. Could even be a blessing in disguise, as the garage they use do a "25% off additional work" thing and my car has a couple of bits that are overdue, so I can recoup some of the costings back through that.

And most important, no-one was hurt.... Though I am feeling the effect of breaking the seatbelt retraining system :/

20. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

One of my pet hates is poor customer service which is all to prevalent these days. One of the worst is MyHermes who not only farmed out their call centres to Asia but also their email support.
    I bought an item from Ebay which may or may not have gone missing it was certainly Routed to incorrect depot on Oct-28-17, 05:15 AM, Gatwick. After that the tracking info has not been updated.
    When I made inquiries I received this response.

Dear Glenn Faulkner,

Thank you for contacting myHermes.

I am sorry that you have not received this parcel.

With the details provided I can see that the tracking is not updated since 28/10/2017.We are unable to investigate this issue as I can see that this parcel has been booked using ebay. In order to resolve this issue you will need to contact the customer support of ebay and they will then contact a dedicated team at Hermes on your behalf and will investigate this issue further and will keep you updated throughout the whole process.

It is important that ebay start this investigation as they have a process in place to raise this investigation and they usually prefer to do this on your behalf so they are aware of the issues as this service was booked from them directly.

I apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Regards,

Swapnil Patil

Customer Service Advisor
    myHermes Support

What on earth has it got to do with Ebay, the package is in MyHermes possession now so I do not see what responsibility of Ebay is?

Last edited: 31 Oct 2017