1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice GPU upgrade needed - What would you do?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GMC, 28 Oct 2017.

1. GMC

GMC Minimodder

I dont play a lot of games, my Rig is the one in the sig below.

i5 4690 on a Z97-K with 16GB RAM and a Sapphire R9-290

I'm playing a lot of Elite Dangerous in the Rift and frankly I'm fed up of not being able to turn up the shiny with my GPU.

So what would you guys do?

1070?
    1080?
    1080 Ti? (For the rift I don't think that the i5 will bottleneck this much, since the gpu will be under pressure with the rift.)
    Wait for Vega 64 Aftermarket cards?
    Something else?

edited - typo's

Last edited: 28 Oct 2017
  2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Wait to see what the 1070Ti costs/is made of, then make your decision. Obviously if you can afford it get a 1080Ti, as it is worlds apart from the others. I would also say a 1070 will scrape it, but it will be close to the wire.

Ed, just don'rt get a 1080Ti Founders edition. The cooler is insufficient for such a beast and the noise will drive you crazy.

3. GMC

GMC Minimodder

any recommendations for 1080Ti beyond not getting the original reference cooler design? There seem to be an endless list.

4. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

Generally the EVGA and ASUS ones are safe bets in terms of quality. Also EVGA allow you to transfer the warranty to a new owner so they can command a premium at resale....

I also like that EVGA cards have the highest advertised OC applied out of the box. They write it to the BIOS so you don't have to run any of the little apps GFX cards all seem to require these days...

5. GMC

GMC Minimodder

6. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Do you really need a 1080Ti if you don't play a lot of games?

7. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Should maybe have been clearer. I don't play many different games. I do play games a lot- just a small number of games.
    Elite in the rift is driving the need to change and frankly if I'm going to upgrade I may as well buy the best thing I can and not have to bother again for another few years.

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Second hand GTX 980 Ti would be worth entertaining on the budget end of the scale if it can be had for around £250.

9. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

since nvidia announced they arnt going to bother with there next gen of cards till next year now due to no competition the second hand market isn't so hot as the prices all shot up £30-50.
    But might still be worth looking as i got my 1080 for £400 inc P&P with EVGA warranty before the announcement.

The GTX 1070ti is more and going to be slower, but wait for the reviews like the others have said.

10. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Well, having seen copies of my old card go on the bay for much better money than I expected, I've pulled the trigger on the MSI 1080 Ti. If that doesn't let me crank up the Oculus shiny in elite, nothing will.