1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress TILT | by timpelay

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by timpelay, 3 Sep 2017.

1. timpelay

timpelay What's a Dremel?

My last projects have all been casemods. Without build logs here but on my own site, Facebook and on Instagram. This one will be a scratch build and I thought it's about time I'll write something here!

Well about this project. I've been sketching on a few geometric shapes going from really advanced ones to more simple. Some suitable for a computer build and some not. Finally I decided to go with a special version of the plain and simple cube. My ambition is to build this case with the tools I got at home. No CNC and no laser cutter. Cutting, grinding and welding. Let's roll.

Following are a few features my case and project will focus on.

Unique design. This case will not look like a mid tower.

360° view. Every side of the case will be interesting.

Function. The finished computer will be fully working and serve as my main workstation.

No covered parts Every cable and component will be visible. Lets make them shine.

I will go for the theme premium. Considering non RGB but will have to elaborate before deciding. I'm doing a 3D-model for this case to be able to take measurements, order material and try different layouts. Currently jumping between mITX and mATX.

The case shape is simple, it's a cube with one flat corner as foot. This gives it a interesting layout and ability to show all components inside.

Hardware:

• Motherboard, Gigabyte mITX TBA
    • CPU, Intel Core i7 8700k
    • GPU, Nvidia GTX 1070
    • RAM, Team Group
    • PSU, Corsair SF600 SFX
    • SSD, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2

Water cooling:

Bitspower, specification will be updates continuously.

Cables:

All custom made cables. Not decided if there will be sleeve or something else. I will try and see what fits my theme best.

Great thanks to Team Group, Corsair and Samsung for your help with hardware support.

Last edited: 3 Nov 2017
  2. timpelay

Material

I've changed my mind a dussin times regarding material and design. As I plan to build this on my own there's no point making a 3D-model of a case that I would not be able to create. My first choice would be an aluminum frame as it's easy to work with and perhaps polish as finish. But I don't have the gear or knowledge to weld alu and screw it together is not an option.

I decided to go with steel. At first I was afraid of the weight it would add to the finished project. But as soon as I got the material at hand, I changed my mind. The weight and stiffness will only be positive for stability.

The frame needs to be simple and clean, and as steel is really stiff I can use thin profiles without compromising stability. I found a standard dimension of L-profiles that was 15x15x3 mm and updated my 3D-model regarding to their measurements. This was my way to find out how much I need and get a clue how the design will be afffected.

Well said and done, I went to a steel shop and got my profiles cut in suitable lengths. Here they are!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A pile of junk. Dirty and rusty. But as perfect as I want them.

The frame is supposed to be built by 9 identical pieces and welded together at the corners to get the shape of a cube. One corner will be "cut" and act as bottom/foot.

This is no work for a tiny dremel. I'll go for the angle grinder!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used the angle grinder to do rough cuts and then my stationary sander for last millimeters.The 9 pieces needs 45 degree angles at boot ends and this was kind of tricky with only my plastic protractor as help. There's also three different pieces for the special corner that needs a rotated angle of aprox. 35,3 degrees.. Well I think I got near 35 degrees and the right rotation after a while. It will prove itself when time for assembly!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dot_Kappa likes this.
  3. Andreas | Brodholm

Andreas | Brodholm Minimodder

Good stuff! Really nice idea with the tilted cube!

timpelay likes this.
  4. C4B12

C4B12 Minimalistic PC's

Looking forward to this! :D

timpelay likes this.
  5. timpelay

Welding!

I had to buy me a few tools to get this welding done properly. Angled magnetic blocks and a brass brush will come in handy. I've got a small MIG welder without gas that will have to do the job. As I'll be welding from the inside I think it will do just fine.

[​IMG]

The magnetic angles does not work as good as I thought they would with these small L-profiles. But they're better than nothing I suppose. Without a proper welding table I used my kind of flat garage floor to get all lined up. With the garage door fully open there will be no need for extra ventilation and I'll get away from headache :D

[​IMG]

First side done and so far so good! I start with tiny welds to not get the profiles to twist or bend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I chose to weld the frame in sets that I will put together at the end. I also found out pretty soon that my floor was not completely flat. Therefore I found me this plate from a shelf to use instead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the "cut corner" that will act as foot. I will then weld a 3 mm thick trinagle shaped metal sheet to it. This will give me good support and weight at the bottom of the case.

[​IMG]

It feels so good to see the shape come to life. It's like a hybrid between a Boxee box and a HP Omen. And this one will be fully transparent! See you soon!

[​IMG]

6. timpelay

I decided to go for 3 mm thick steel as base plate to add a bit more weight and stiffness at the bottom. My local shop helped me out with a square piece that I could cut and grind to fit just perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The frame is done and I can start working on the layout based on real measurements. This thing will get sand blastered and painted. I was considering polish but think paint is the way to go, if I find a color I like.

This is all the steel that's going into this mod. From now, everything will be acrylic!

[​IMG]

7. timpelay

First side, the backside

With the frame all done I could start with the backside which will hold almost all parts. For this one I chose 4 mm thick acrylic for stability.

[​IMG]

First I cut the corner as my piece was 300 x 300 mm to start with.

[​IMG]

I've gone through many different layouts and options about how to mount motherboard and graphics card. It's now decided to go with mITX and therfore also single GPU. A horizontal orientated motherboard is not the best choice regarding room inside the case. But it will fit according to my 3D model and the finished layout will look alot better this way.

[​IMG]

I'll be using a rear mounting frame from a stripped motherboard tray together with another acrylic sheet as tray. Lets get to it and do the cut out with my battery jigsaw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Perfect fit!

[​IMG]

8. AML_customs_pc

AML_customs_pc Minimodder

Really like the shape of your case, always want to do a scratch build, how did you find riveting in to the acrylic?

9. timpelay

The rivets was just placed there to keep the frame in place. I will use screw and nut for final assembly :)

10. AML_customs_pc

AML_customs_pc Minimodder

That makes sense.