1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ PARVUM i1.0 Prototype-II (Final Pics III - 22nd December)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by imersa, 27 Apr 2017.

1. LongLove

LongLove What's a Dremel?

Excellent project) I will follow)

2. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

[​IMG]

We return for another round! i1.0 Prototype-I has been performing very well and with the monoblock fitted it feels complete, definitely the best system in the office for a quick game of PUBG. So instead of cannibalizing it's parts and swapping in a different motherboard we will be building i1.0 Prototype-II.

Each decision on the original was focused around keeping it as small and simple as possible, now we have a little more time it will be taking the opposite route. Just the same concept but a very different approach...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Furia - 73 x 320 x 335mm - 7.8l -76%
    X2.0 - 250 x 250 x 310mm - 19.4l -40%
    i1.0-I - 235 x 307 x 350mm - 25.2l -22%
    VEER1.0 - 267 x 307 x 357mm - 29.3l -10%
    i1.0-II - 285 x 320 x 355mm - 32.4l 0%
    Manta - 245 x 426 x 450mm - 47.0l +45%

Getting a little wider but for good reason a 30mm acrylic plate through the center houses the reservoir (20mm thick internally), the motherboard, active cooling for the rear M.2 drive and the rear side of the CPU socket as well as all the distribution of cables and coolant. Front and rear chambers are also a little wider giving extra fan clearance and room for a wider GPU.

The PSU has moved to the back with an EK PE 240mm in it's place out front. Then surrounding the PSU in the rear chamber will be a second PE 240mm and an additional PE 120mm leaving just enough room to route the PSU cables. The dual SPC pumps will be dropped in favour of a single D5 REVO but the GPU and motherboard block will remain in parallel.

We collected the 30mm polished acrylic block yesterday and all of the stainless steel screws are due next week so building will commence very soon!

J.​

3. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

[​IMG]

With the designs finished they went straight onto the next white drawing on Thursday, along with some X2.0 parts, S2.0 accents and some experimental S3.0 parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DANK PIZZA!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting the offcuts down to very small pieces lately, just the occasional window left which make awesome little pieces to cut inlays or KFC plates.

[​IMG]

The entire case done!

[​IMG]

So time to move onto the 30mm block!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After cutting all the features on the rear side it was parted out and then pressed into a negative milled from MDF to add all the features on the front.

[​IMG]

Definitely the most complicated single piece we've cut with the possible exception of MATE and there are still some elaborate secondary operations to go so it's all been sent away with JR23 to get finished up. Lots more to come very fast!

J.​

4. skullen

skullen Minimodder

More Acrylic Awesomeness :)

5. JR23

JR23 Minimodder

Small teaser from me, big update tomorrow!

[​IMG]

JR​

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I do like wallpaper-grade teasers. :D

7. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

[​IMG]

There would have been an update yesterday but so much work was put in there was no time, straight off to sleeps. First task was drilling out the re-purposed monarch X2 to 3.1mm, tight clearance for M3.

[​IMG]

Then of course countersunk to get the screws flush. Because there were features on both sides of our block the acrylic will be tapped instead of the copper.

[​IMG]

Fitment check looking OP.

[​IMG]

The positions for the coldplate were marked accurately with 2.5mm end mill but not taken to full depth as the collet wouldn't fit inside the slot so they were all drilled after.

[​IMG]

M3 tapping for the motherboard and M.2 coldplate taken care of.

[​IMG]

Because the plate was 30mm with 5mm lids in both sides that left enough thickness to a fill port along the top edge. The inside panel was added to mark it out and the lids on either side to strengthen the part while drilling. First 5mm, then 8mm...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...finally 11.7mm.

[​IMG]

Small CS added to help the thread lead in nicely.

[​IMG]

And tapped to 1/4" BSPP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quickly tapped the other 100 or so #6-32 UNC holes and 6 1/4" and it's ready for the nice clean work!

[​IMG]

Nitrile rubber o-ring cord all cut and bonded.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Each o-ring was greased and fitted, mainly to get that really nice glossy look through the clear acrylic and help it all slide together.

[​IMG]

Our modified Monarch part going in with the original o-ring and new M3x12mm stainless screws.

[​IMG]

And just the same with the Supremacy coldplate. We didn't use the internal EVO jet plate parts instead opting for a much simpler design which left more material behind to screw the lids onto the opposite side.

[​IMG]

Pt.2 and 3 following on as soon as we can upload them :)

AML_customs_pc likes this.
  8. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

If you papa john'd when you should have domino'd, you're gonna have a bad time.

9. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

[​IMG]

Just like that it's all done, pic heavy this time, enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and the front side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just needs a motherboard to complete, intro. ASUS Z370i Strix...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still more to go!​

AML_customs_pc and neSSa like this.
  10. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

11. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

[​IMG]

Here. It. Is. Piece by piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Guess we do have time for a little look around our complete case!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots more inbound soon!

J.​

neSSa likes this.
  12. JejeLaPelle

JejeLaPelle What's a Dremel?

Awesome job... May you tell us how did you glue your nitril seals please?

13. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

You use super glue, but you only get one shot. If you mess it up it won't bond. You have to slice off the glue and start again.

14. JejeLaPelle

JejeLaPelle What's a Dremel?

Ok, fine, thanks for the tip!

15. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I must be getting soft in the head. I kept wondering when you would mill out bits to clear motherboard components. I never thought you would waterblock the mounting plate. :lol:

16. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

[​IMG]

The shipment has been located and we now have all the required watercooling supplies to complete our evil project, I mean, project. Just an ordinary project.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No time for that unboxing hype, time to equip the blackest radiators with the whitest fans and test fit everything.

[​IMG]

As with every other piece of the build we got Stainless screws for that task too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Perfect!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So onto the radiators in the back too...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Total whiteout on the front!

[​IMG]

And the beautiful D5-REVO to try out also.

[​IMG]

We don't yet have the correct screws to mount the D5, however it's looking pretty close. It may need a little material removing from the feet to the front pipe 100% true but that should be a fun job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The test fit all went very nicely, everything accurately coming together. When the pump screws roll in that will get set correctly, then fan/pump wires planned out and then taken apart to execute those.

J.​

neSSa likes this.
  17. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

If I post my initial reaction I'll get banned. Suffice it to say it was a positive reaction.

18. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

[​IMG]

Yesss, 5 M5x20mm screws for the pump!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the first test fit the pump out which drops down into the rad didn't quite align, the pump was about 2.5mm proud. So while extracting the captive screws from the bracket it also has some material removed from the feet as well as hollowing out all of the webbing from the bottom section to give it a more floating look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pump all installed, now lining up much better. Exactly where the discrepancy came from we aren't sure, maybe just the tolerance on the radiator, pump and fitting stacking against us.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With a pump now securely attached everything was ready for a little leak test and coolant preview. With so much of the block covered by components and radiators it made sense to do it out of the case with little bridges for each set of ports.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Filling was simple with the top port and the opacity of pastel white looks epic again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All is well after a day now, onwards!​

19. _Prometheus_

_Prometheus_ Minimodder

Oh my God!

20. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

[​IMG]

Some progress from early last week before JR dropped this to go work on his R1.0, first testing all the correct wires were connected together as we splice all of the fans. The 3 from the rear and front 2 form one set powered directly from the PSU and linked to the motherboard via PWM for control.

[​IMG]

Tubes cut and mounted, joining the rear side and radiators to the midwall.

[​IMG]

The stretch of wires across to the individual fan will be partly visible through the top grill hence they were sleeved in white to blend in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because the back side of the front rad will be clearly visible through the transparent midwall the wire from the left hand fan was passed under and out together with the right hand fan wire.

[​IMG]

So when observed from the front or rear of the build the fans are in the same orientation and free of little wires.

[​IMG]

With those neatly routed it was time to trim the length and crimp both front fans together. These will plug directly into the bottom motherboard header and take power from the board just to minimize the amount of cables passing through the midwall and also allow this rad to be easily removed.

[​IMG]

Fast PWM check from the Aquaero 5LT.

[​IMG]

After that the pump was sleeved, the +12V and GND trimmed and terminated with ATX crimps ready for a 6-pin AUX connector and the tach/PWM diverted across the motherboard.

[​IMG]

Front 2 fans added to the rear 3, again with +12V and GND directly to 6-pin AUX and PWM out to the motherboard.

[​IMG]

All bundled and routed ready to fit the front panel. The 3 wires (PWM from rear fans and power for the pump) tuck inside of the front fan frame and get trapped in place, leaving the unsleeved white wires in the tiny space between the front panel and rear fans completely hidden.

[​IMG]

The partly visible side of the rear fans...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the ATX terminated power cables ready to go when the PSU arrived, for now bundled in heatshrink to protect our nice polished midwall. So shiiiiiny.......

[​IMG]

Front side all wired, tubed and ready! Front tube sitting just right with the modified REVO mount.

[​IMG]

And this is why so much work went into 7 fans, just two PWM wires are visible from the back side of the build, neatly sleeved heading to the motherboard.

[​IMG]

Hyped for PSU and cables!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's us for now, we collected the PSU and CPU today so more updates tomorrow!

Super fast schedule will commence now we have all the bits, so if MOTY is ready for us then we will definitely be ready in time if you'd like to consider i1.0 Prototype-II in your nominations for 2017.

J.​