1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Network Ports Wiring

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sparkyboy22, 11 Nov 2017.

1. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

i am putting some network cable into my house but the location for the switch doesn’t have enough space for a cabinet and patch panel so I am going to fudge it on the cheap.

I have bought 2x 4 gang network sockets that I am going to use instead of a patch panel next to an 8 port switch.

Question is, as there will be a network socket at each end of the cable run does it matter how they are wired as long as it’s the same at both ends?
    The back of the sockets have diagrams for both a and b types.

Thanks for any advice.

2. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

3. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

Think you are bang on. Cable has to be the same at both ends but then A can be plugged into B and vice versa. Think I Did both of mine as type B when I did mine and I have never checked the layout of what I have plugged into them. They have worked fine.

sparkyboy22 likes this.
  4. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

For full compatibility I recommend doing it to the T568-B standard, it's is what is most commonly used in the UK
    You can mix both, as they won't provide a pin out failure but the skew delay won't be correct and could cause some minor issues depending what sort of load you are putting on them.

sparkyboy22 likes this.
  5. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

So follow the colours on the back of the socket labelled B rather than A?

And using wall sockets rather than a patch panel isn’t going to cause issues?

Thanks again.

6. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

Yep, wire to the B side, and there is no issues with modules over patch panels, just try and maintain the twist of the pairs up to the point you terminate.

sparkyboy22 likes this.
  7. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

Cool, thank you.