1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU PSU Causing Random BSOD?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by T.J, 13 Oct 2017.

1. T.J

T.J What's a Dremel?

Keep getting the dreaded BSOD with Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - sometimes the system runs fine for weeks and then others it will crash a couple of times a day for a few days and then all fine again :-(

Isn't any particular error either, have seen...

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
    MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    BAD_POOL_HEADER

And a couple I've forgotten lol

It seems that most of them are memory related but I've tested this and no errors, updated all drivers, reinstalled Windows and so on. Had the odd BSOD when the system was first built from new but it seems to be getting worse.

There is no real pattern either, has happened whilst browsing, gaming and sat idle with me AFK.

When the system crashes / reboots you can hear what sounds like all the hard drives spinning up, I'm also getting fairly regular "disc consistency checks" even when there haven't been any BSOD / on a brand new drive.

Is the PSU possibly at fault with some kind of voltage fluctuation that's causing things to go screwy?

Full system specs are:

Intel 3570K @ 3.4ghz with a huge Arctic Freezer cooler
    Gigabyte Z77P-D3 motherboard
    2x4gb Crucial RAM
    MSI Radeon 280X
    3x 7200rpm hdd
    1x 5400rpm hdd
    1x mSATA cache drive fitted on motherboard
    DVD writer
    XFX core 550w PSU
    Cooler Master 690 II case

2. philip Sun

philip Sun What's a Dremel?

3. T.J

T.J What's a Dremel?

4. Neilc

Neilc Minimodder

Have you tried taking out a stick of ram and leaving it out for a while?

5. T.J

T.J What's a Dremel?

Not yet, will give it a go though... Rather ironically its been fine running pretty much 12/18hrs a day for the best part of a week, turned it off last night and about 10secs after booting to the desktop this morning it blue screened - restarted and all ok again.

6. T.J

T.J What's a Dremel?

Just an update / bit of info.... Seems one of the RAM modules was faulty, was passing memtest86 but I'd only tried testing it after the system had been running for a bit - tried this morning after the system had been off all night and thousands of errors. Checked each module individually and have RMA'd the faulty one with Crucial, hopefully they will honour the lifetime warranty despite it being the best part of 6 years old.

Fingers crossed that'll sort it, a bit of an odd one for the RAM to fail when cold but work fine when warmed up.

7. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

If you're OCing your 280X, you're quite possibly on the ragged edge of your PSU's power limit anyway, I'd say. At the very least, you're operating it past it's optimal power draw, so if issues persist, it might be worth going up to a ~650W+.

8. T.J

T.J What's a Dremel?

Pretty sure the 280X has a mild factory OC but beyond that i've not tweaked it, will keep an eye out for PSU issues but so far so good... Crucial replaced the stick of RAM and that seems to have done the trick - very impressed TBH, got the RMA auth within a few mins of filling the form out, free post address to send it back and from posting it to getting the replacement took just over a week :)

Sentinel-R1 likes this.