1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice PC Upgrade/Rebuild.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BiotecVirus, 15 Nov 2017.

1. BiotecVirus

BiotecVirus Everything should use Torx Screws

Hello bittech, been along time since I lasted posted but been happily lurking since then.

I am after some advice with regards to a major PC overhaul/rebuild as it has been a good few years since it has had any major upgrades and some bits getting on beyond 8/9 years old just need outright replacing.

Tech wise I have been out of the loop recently, especially in terms of the Intel/AMD and Nvidia/AMD latest and greatest so you will all be in a better position with what needs swapping out though I have a feeling it’s going to be nearly everything!

Budget: £1000-£1500 though potentially more if the components are worth it.

Main uses of intended build: Gaming and potentially work as well so some VM’s for S/W development.

Parts required: At least the PSU, GPU, 2nd monitor and case though a full rebuild is also on the cards. Mouse, keyboard, headset etc are fine as they are.

Previous build information (list details of parts):

· Case: Xigmatek Utgard Mid Tower Case
    · CPU: Intel i5-2500k overclocked to 4.2GHZ, artic freezer 13 pro cooler.
    · Motherboard: P8Z77-V LX Z77
    · Ram: 8GB Corsair XMS3.
    · PSU: 500W Hybrid XFX, approx 8/9 years old.
    · Graphic card: Nvidia 680GTX.
    · SSD1: Intel 330 series SDD, 60GB (OS drive).
    · SSD2: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB.
    · Internal HDD: Western Digital black 1TB.
    · External HDD: Western Digital MyCloud 1.5TB
    · PCI: Asus Xonar
    · Headset: Corsair VOID 7.1 Wireless
    · Mouse: Zowie FK1
    · Keyboard: Das Keyboard 4 Pro MX Brown
    · Speakers: An old Creative 5.1 system.
    · Monitors: LG LED 1920x1080, DVI only. A very old Dell LCD, 1024x800 VGA only.

The above PC happily runs all thrown at it at 1920x1080 with graphic settings usually on the higher end of things thought can see it falling behind pretty soon and especially with a higher resolution monitor.

Monitor resolution: Currently 1st:1920x1080 2nd:1024x800 (picked it up for £3 a few years back so a bargain!). Thinking of making my current primary monitor a secondary and getting a new primary with a higher resolution.

Storage requirements: A fair amount of SSD space for OS and a few games, HDD for games, general stuff and eventually VM’s etc.

Will you be overclocking: Yes.

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): 4x USB3, fan headers to support CPU and case fans otherwise fan controller may be needed.

Extra information about desired system: VR keeps temping me so maybe some support for that in future. Feel free to suggest other things Cheers.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Ryzen 1600 or 1700. Asus B350 Strix mobo. 16gb 3000mhz+ RAM (be careful what you buy, make sure it is on the QVL) 1070Ti.

That is where my cash would go.

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

4. BiotecVirus

BiotecVirus Everything should use Torx Screws

Thanks guys for the help! :) looks like some good dam specs, just may have to jump down to a 1070 and maybe lower the amount of ram to fit a monitor in there too but will have a think about it!
    Cheers

5. Vault-Tec

Personally I would avoid the 1070 now. It already looks dated enough as it is (because it's level pegging with a 980Ti) and IMO costs too much. When Nvidia release their next range it will look very long in the tooth indeed and probably barely only keep pace with a entry level 60 card.

I would personally try and find a good deal on a 1080 (because they are selling for the same price as a 1070Ti ATM) or wait for a decent deal on a 1070Ti.

6. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Doesn't this always happen for every generation?

7. Vault-Tec

It does and that is why you should never pay this sort of money for a mid range card so close to EOL. IMO.

Omnislip likes this.
  8. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Agreed with VT. Either wait for the next-gen cards, or try to find a better deal by looking at more potent hardware for the current gen for the amount you're spending.