1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Clone RAID 0 system disk to a single non-raid disk

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Bungletron, 21 Nov 2017.

1. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

I want to clone my Windows 10 system disk which is a 1TB RAID 0 array to a single non-raid 1TB SSD, I am pretty sure this is just a normal clone but I am worried that it might not work. I doubt it will clone over the raid information, just the partitions but I think I might need to update the windows drivers or something. I will be staying on RAID boot because I have a secondary RAID 1 array, would be keen to know your thoughts?

I am using a Ryzen cpu on a B350 board, AMD RAID Xpert handling the raid duties onboard.

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

It'll work fine, I have done it myself using minitool disk partition

Bungletron likes this.
  3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I should mention that on my Threadripper at least it did not work properly to move to USB drive as it had done on my Intel systems, a quirk with the TR BIOS, seems to have poor bootable USB support (one of the later BIOS updates apparently fixed this but I have not tested) not sure if Ryzen is the same, I had to put a larger Spinner in the machine on the SATA controller inorder to do the transfer.

After doing so I was able to move my 2xSSD RAID0 to a big HDD, which I could still boot from which was nice, I then moved it back from the spinner to 4xSSD in RAID0. I will be doing it again soon to move to an NVMe, no need to waste CPU power running crappy SATA stuff then.

Bungletron likes this.
  4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Try Clonezilla, it copies the partition table and the data but not the empty spaces (for supported filesystems, otherwise it simply does a dd of the partition). Just shrink your main partition a little bit to be sure it fits.

5. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Cheers guys, I used Macrium Reflect cloned over to the new drive in a USB3 enclosure, then swapped the drives, seemed to do the trick. The RAID controller picks it up as a legacy disk but performance appears to be unaffected.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The legacy disk thing is just RAIDXpert2 telling you the disk isn't initialised so can't be used in a RAID array.