1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows Robot Wars S9

Discussion in 'General' started by Gunsmith, 6 Mar 2017.

1. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I imagine an armoured "puck" would be the best bet against a spinner - preferably with sharply chamfered edges to direct the forces up and above the bot. The big, flat surfaces were the ones getting torn into this season, and even if the armour was standing up to a hit, it often sent enough shock through the chassis to kill something. A completely round, low, chamfered bot should be able to send a spinning disc/bar over the top of itself, but even if it did take a wallop, there would be relatively little contact surface because the radius of the chassis will always be moving away from that of weapon.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Has any one been watching this series?

It's been bloody good ! some serious smashing and bashing :D

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Yes good series this year, shame it's not on tonight due to tennis (boo!)

4. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Didn’t even know it was back on, can’t recall seeing any promo for it at all - will need to catch up on iPlayer.

5. Vault-Tec

Oh bollocks that sucks :(

Some epic moments this year. Bits flying all over the place lol. I can't believe that robot won last week. So basic, but he seemed to get two "freak lucky shots" that put him through :D

Yoda - yeah I missed the first week too. Easy to catch up on though, and a great series so far :)

6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Every time someone enters a cluster bot I watch them get murdered with far more glee than is healthy.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  7. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Is Razer in this series? I still have fond memories of getting my mum to record it along with scrapheap challenge on VHS ready for me to watch the next day when I got back from school

8. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I've been following this series. It gets better every week :)

9. Vault-Tec

They've actually broken the arena a good few times this year. Been excellent tbh.

10. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

man i used to love Scrapheap Challenge... i wish it was on DVD, or a Torrent download or something somewhere...

11. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I'm liking the fact they are going down into the arena now, seems more arena destruction this season Dara taking one of the teams down showing them bits they broke "that bits still warm" for example.

Aftershock I think with the blue vertical spinner taking a chunk out one of the barriers, you can see they welded a bit on in some shots. An then we have Apex which as the kids said turned into a helicopter. Spinners far to heavy for the bot.

Also Terrahertz, much much improved IMO, better driving and use of that axe which is working well now.
    Gabriel Vs Carbide was actually surprisingly good.

12. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I've been really enjoying this season, the mass destruction to the area has been adding to the enjoyment.
    Particularly enjoyed watching the bullet proof glass get obliterated when one of the weapons got launched into it.

The really confusing match:
    I was very disappointed by the match in one of the episodes where there was mass confusion on whether cease was called and then certain robots stopped prematurely... I feel like they need to have a visual warning (or a more obvious one if one exists) in the team's box that the 10 second countdown is going to be initiated, then they at least have a reminder to keep going if they're functional.

Last episode's winner:
    I was glad to see Nuts 2 go through, it's nice to see something different to the usual designs win for a change/

I'm not sure what to think of the upcoming 10 robot melee, it'll either be a dull show of everyone going in circles and spinners not having their weapons get up to speed due to the constant bumping or it'll be absolute carnage.

13. Vault-Tec

RE spoiler 1. Yes, I think that even the cast and crew were shocked by that. I think they need a stronger arena lmao.

14. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

The way robots and their parts are being launched in every direction and the rate in which the arena is being torn apart, surely it won't be long before they'll have to make the whole chamber bomb proof...

15. Vault-Tec

Was thinking the same tbh. I mean, they even managed to pull up the floor lol.

16. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Managed to catch the first 4 episodes on iPlayer and really enjoying this series, some of the spinners and flippers have rapmed up the power. Lots of destruction too which is great.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  17. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

It has been mentioned numerous times about the strength of the arena over on Reddit. I dont think anything will be done until next season as iirc the people who built and look after the arena have a 3 year contract.

18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

quick heads up that RW is back on TV tonight after last weeks silly sport....thing.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I really hate to compare anything to the American versions but the truth is I prefer it to the British. It seems, like most content on UK TV very dumbed down with silly commentators asking some ridiculous and pointless questions.
    Mind you after what ITV did to Ninja Warrior then I really should not have expected anything better from the BBC.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  20. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

In fairness the British masses are generally pretty stupid so maybe it need dumbing down to get the viewers. :lol: