1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Threadripper build - All the error codes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Seb.F, 25 Nov 2017.

1. Seb.F

Seb.F Minimodder

Hi, recently purchased the below:

Threadripper 1920X
    Gigabyte Aorus 7 X399
    32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz (2 x 16GB)

Additional hardware:
    2 x 980 Ti
    500GB NVMe SSD
    750GB SATA SSD
    2 x 3TB HDD

For the sake of this post and using this image as a reference, let's call the RAM slots 1-8, starting from the left and ending on the right.

When everything is seated correctly, in the manner the manual states (slots 6 and 8), I get error code 54 - Memory Initialization error.

When I use a single stick in slots 1,3,6 or 8, I also get the same error: 54 - Memory Initialization

When using a single stick in slots 2 or 4 I get a cycling of error codes, some are too fast to see but I can catch 92 - PCI Bus Initialization is started, 64 - CPU DXE Iinitialization started, 3E - PCH PEI Initialization.

When using a single stick in slots 5 or 7 I get error code d5 - No Space for Legacy Option ROM initialization.

The same pattern is produced regardless of which stick I use.

Where should I go with this? I am going to take a stab that the chances of both RAM sticks being faulty is very slim. The CPU itself doesn't seem to be stating any errors, so am I correct in saying I'm best off sending the motherboard back first and seeing how I get on with that?

I don't know if it's a BIOS problem but I have reset the CMOS and it didn't do anything. I can't actually update the BIOS without getting past POST, which it's failing to do. So I'm kinda stuck right now.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Take the CPU out and make sure there are no bent pins or socket damage. That would be where I would start. If they all look OK then I would send the board back.

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

is all that stuff plugged in, if so unplug everything do a clear CMOS and just run with one RAM stick and 1 gpu,

FYI I did have two sticks faulty out of 4 on my system so it does happen.

When first training Ram it can power cycle quite a few times, is the ram you have on the QVL list, if not can you get hold of a stick that is, as your chip may need BIOS update for the latest AGESA (cpu firmware update) which has good ram support.

Do you have 2x16 as you intend to go to 64 or just because you already had it, if not and the RAM is new you might want to send back for 4x8 from QVL list to get quad channel.

Some of the boards have a poor retaining mechanism and people have had to reseat the CPU, the Gigabyte appears to be one of those.

Last edited: 25 Nov 2017
  4. Seb.F

Seb.F Minimodder

I just unplugged the other GPU and the other hard drives, still just sits there power cycling with error code 54. I left it for 10 minutes doing that and it didn't stop. The model of RAM I have is on the supported list for the motherboard:

[​IMG]

I had 2 x 16 as it was the best I could find at the time, price wise and stock wise.

I'll reseat the CPU and see if that gets me anywhere.

Do you think having the NVMe SSD in will make a difference? I'd have to dismantle my loop to get to that I think.

5. Vault-Tec

On the SSD? I honestly don't know but my first port of call when a PC won't post after checking the socket out is removing all of the drives etc.

6. Seb.F

Seb.F Minimodder

Ok so, I took everything apart, refitted it all and it's working ok. The only problem right now is that even with the latest BIOS, the motherboard shows the CPU temp at -55 degrees. It works just fine when in windows using CoreTemp but not through BIOS. Also it's locking my fan speed to 100% for some reason too, despite having set it up in the Smart Fan menu in BIOS.

Edit: When I switch to CPU OPTIONAL fan, it sets them to 0%, using the main one sits at 100%. I guess that it's somehow not able to monitor the CPU temperature therefore if I put it on the optional one, it'll simply never ramp up when the CPU gets hot.

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

At least you are getting somewhere, chance are that because the cpu temp it out of range you are getting full fans, sounds like the board needs an BIOS update, or maybe even try a rollback.

Are the fans configurable by sortware in windows?

8. Seb.F

Seb.F Minimodder

Yeah, I plugged them into the CPU OPT fan port instead and set that to work off the case temperature instead. It's mostly static now but a lot quieter thankfully.

9. Seb.F

Seb.F Minimodder

This build had a plethora of issues and amazon basically told me to return both the motherboard and CPU. Will be either ordering the same or something different depending on how put-off I am with this.

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

you have been unlucky, give it another bash, it's all pretty sweet when working, you could order a board with the LOTES socket like the Asus, Taichi or MSI. sounds like that might have been the root of you initial problems, I will say mine wasn't exactly a breezy, it all worked out of the box but getting good performance out of the RAM was certainly more of a challenge than my Intel systems.

11. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

That's exactly what I suggested. Grab a board without that horrid socket. I bet most of your issues will be gone immediately.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  12. Vault-Tec

Ohhhhhh it's one of those....

13. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Yeah, one of those GIGABYTE cheaping out sockets. ;)

14. alfizzle

alfizzle Ooh aah just a little bit..

Agree, don’t bother with gigabyte boards, afaik they all use the crappy Foxconn socket. As Mentioned get board with a lotes socket.

15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Just get the AsRock Taichi, the process of elimination makes it the obvious choice.

The cheap Asus models lack M.2 slots.
    The Asus Zenith Extreme is half a grand.
    The AsRock Fatality and the two Gigabutt boards have Foxconn sockets.
    The MSI boards have the extra power connector for the PCI-E slots in a place where cable management is impossible.

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

That PCI connector on the MSI is not a problem, just take your cable up the side of the case,