1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other ...

Discussion in 'Software' started by jrs77, 18 Nov 2017.

1. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 2 Jan 2018
    Corky42 likes this.
  2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I gave up on Firefox some time ago when they got arrogant and stopped listening to user input (pretty much the way Kodi is going too). Try Pale Moon which is a fork of Firefox, the developers on that are also arrogant and don't appreciate user input but they've kept the interface similar to the older Firefox one

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

The only thing for me is the add on situation. Some stuff I used no longer works. Even so, Firefox is still preferable to chromium.

The UI stuff is pretty trivial to be honest.

4. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

The new UI doesn't bother me much, looks similar to the older one.
    uMatrix is working fine for me, try that instead of noscript?

I'm also a bit annoyed my favourite gestures addon isn't working, not annoyed enough to go back a version however. Mostly I'm happy that speed and resource usage is better, not only for myself but it gives people that are stuck with Chrome a real alternative for the first time in years, hopefully they come into the light.

5. monkeylove

monkeylove What's a Dremel?

Also, Waterfox.

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Oh look, jrs77 hates something - how unsual. That only ever happens when the day has a Y in it. :p

If you don't like the look of the new software, I have something that'll please you.

Here

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'd love to know how you arrived at that conclusion, given the fact that I haven't aired my opinion of Firefox 57. However, I'm sure your reasoning was sound, and not borne of some petulant knee-jerk reaction to a spot of ribbing, since you are a "professional" and obviously superior to me in almost every way imaginable. :p

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

[​IMG]

9. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Look at all you old gits resisting change. :D

10. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

57 actually looks and functions a little bit like my modded Firefox has for ages which I guess cushions the blow. Most of the add-ons I consider vital are available in some shape or form as web extensions, excepting some utilities and UI stuff. Hopefully mouse shortcuts for the tab bar will be available at some point, along with TabMixPlus.

Overall though I think it is a fairly positive and somewhat necessary step, albeit I'm still sandboxing 57 till I sort out a setup I can live with.

Last edited: 19 Nov 2017
  11. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Maybe with iOS. OS X is certainly anti-usability.

12. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I've never understood the pointless browser wars, they all seem to have their faults, I've tried IE, edge, chrome and firefox and it was firefox that gave me the most problems (ie too but that's obviously gone).

13. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

The main reason is they are cool, the UI in iOS and OS X is pretty terrible IMO.

This is the problem today, browsers are far too complicated to make. Firefox has always been the best for me and it's basically the only real option. I can't run MS products and I refuse to use google spyware.

14. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

HAHA
    HAHA
    HAHAHA

HA!

IOS 11... is the worst piece of smooshed fly on the windshield of a 200MPH+ car on the autobahn in terms of usability I have ever seen (used).

15. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

1. OS X has no maximize button. It has only "Best fit" button, which might or might not mean same as maximize.
    2. you often need to install tons of various tools (sometimes paid) to get basic features common in other operating systems
    3. working with multiple tabs/windows in some Apple apps (like Xcode, Finder) is horrible.
    4. The keyboard shortcut symbols make literally no sense. From these, on Mac keyboard, the only one shown on the physical keyboard is the command button :[​IMG]
    5. While not true for latest few OS X releases, sometime ago the fullscreen mode with dual monitors literally made one of your monitor grey and you could use it only one
    And i could probably list more bad things like these.

16. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I don't want to type out a full list of things I don't like, there are plenty of other people online that have done this. Lots of smaller things I don't like about OS X like the stupid fullscreen behaviour, the fact that finder is missing a lot of basic features (cut and paste?), AWFUL keyboard shortcuts that are impossible to decipher (apart from cmd-c and cmd-v, I like those), the fact that they claim it's unix but it's missing a bunch of stuff and has no package manager.
    iOS has a bunch of stupid **** in it as well, why does changing the volume take up my entire screen?

There are lots of internal things to the OS I don't like as well, and some good things.

Linux is already great for this

17. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Wine works very well for a lot of use cases but yes, unfortunately the industry needs to buck up their ideas on this and start release real cross platform products.

18. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I had a quick poke around, there seems to be a web extension for pretty much everything I used as an addon, so this is turning out to be a very minor inconvenience in terms of a shift in the browser.

The only thing that would really annoy me I think is the lack of mouse gestures on the about:* pages due to how much more restrictive web extensions are. Its something that used to annoy me with mouse gestures in chrome; that the gestures wouldn't work across the full browser, only on actual web pages.

19. CodyWA

CodyWA What's a Dremel?

I've stopped using Firefox since Chrome came out, but for some platforms/website which I have to use for my online jobs, I still need Firefox because it seems stable than Chrome.

20. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

A small and late thread hijack...
    One of Apples great faults is that they put a lot of effort into the design, but due to having been closely associated with the development cannot see that it is not plain for all to see.
    • Command "⌘", was selected as symbol that to the majority of Americans had no alternative meaning or association. The symbol was neutral for most people globally, except for the Swedes who are confused by the point of interest on their keyboards. Not sure why Apple didn't keep to using the Apple logo, and for a time the key had both symbols.
    • Shift "⇧", I don't know the official design history of this symbol but in my opinion it nicely reflects what shift does.
    • Control "⌃", I don't know about this symbol. Its importance on old Apple keyboards used to be rather higher then it is now and use to be located where caps lock is now.
    • Option "⌥", it is the symbol of a switch, a form C relay or a NO/NC contact if you prefer, the option to choose a different path.