1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. CodyWA

CodyWA What's a Dremel?

Yeah working on it.... just it was pretty hard to get her number :wallbash:

2. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

If it was hard to get her number surely that would have raised a red flag?

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

How many copies were/are you expecting to shift, Gareth? At a pound a skull seems like you'd need to sell quite a lot to make this venture worthwhile (given that I'd imagine quite a lot of hours of work went into it on your part).

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

"As many as I can." It's a hefty market: Barclay's funded the distribution of a million BBC micro:bits into schools last year, so there's a million-plus out there. If you could assume a one percent attach rate, that's 10,000 copies to start - which would be enough to hit earn-out and start actually generating some royalties. Then there's whatever they can sell in the US and Canada, and international editions - they've signed agreements for French and Japanese editions so far, with more to follow.

I don't have precise figures, but I think across all four editions my last book has sold somewhere between 100,000 and 200,000 copies in English plus whatever it sold in translation. If this one does half that lifetime sales, it'd generate £40,000 in actual paid royalties (i.e. after the advance is paid back). Not a small chunk of change by any means.

That is, if Wiley can actually get its act together...

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

40 grand sound great until you then figure out what Wiley made then it is not so great, still better than a slap in the face with a wet kipper as my gran used to say.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yeah, that's a slap in the teeth. Then there's the government's cut on top of that...

Oh! But I do get cash from library lending (a couple of pence every time someone borrows a copy, I think) and from excerpts and photocopying (that's added up to a few thousand a year for the Raspberry Pi Guide, that one.)

7. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Thanks for the info, it's pretty interesting to see how the numbers stack up. Over what period of time were those sales of your last book (all four editions), by the by?

8. Gareth Halfacree

According to Amazon, the first edition launched in August 2012 - so five years. My royalties for that were a lot lower, though: because it has two names on the cover the royalties are split 50:50, so I was only earning 5% and on a lower RRP than the new book (which I think they've priced too high, but I don't get a say in that.)

9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Amazon UK has it listed out of stock [again]...

'Fun' fact... according to Amazon, if i ordered a copy from Amazon UK and one from Amazon US... the one from the US would likely arrive first...

10. legoman

legoman breaker of things

"broadband" again I would actually get about this using dialup, Talktalk claim the line is working fine

[​IMG]

11. Gareth Halfacree

Yeah, it was briefly in stock earlier today - a whole 15 copies, which sold out in about ten minutes.
    Ah, now that, I've discovered, is 'cos while Wiley has printed every other book I've done in the US and UK simultaneously, making it quick and easy for stock issues like this to be resolved, they've decided this time around to only print them in the US and then ship them to the UK, because... Nup, I got nothing.

I've raised merry hell and people are "looking into" things, but it's the weekend now so bugger all will happen until Monday - and even then I don't see how they're going to restock in time.

Bleedin' idiots.

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Probably all still hungover from thanksgiving...

13. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

be me walk around for an hour trying to find my bank card, meanwhile browsing reddit on my phone... checking all my cloths, wallets, bags, jeans, bags....

Forgot my Phone case holds cards so had it in my hand all along.

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Love it.

My story.
    Due to both of us having sleep disorders and a myriad of other medical conditions me and the good lady sleep in separate rooms. Long story short she wanted a new bed and mattress which I bought and yesterday built only to make a schoolboy error by not building the bulk of it in situ as I could not get the thing in the room which resulted in a bit of dismantling.
    This morning I asked the good lady how she slept to receive the reply fine except the bed was too high and getting up during the night was a bit scary.

So today I am going to dismantle her bed and mine and swap them over Oh joy. Would not mind so much but she chose the dam bed in the first place.

15. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

We had to say goodbye to Miss Leija yesterday. She was 12 and had been suffering with with an intestinal illness for most of her life. Steroids and a very high fibre diet had managed things fine until about a week ago when she got much worse. Over the past 3 weeks she lost about 10% of her weight, which was never much to begin with for her breed (Norwegian Forest Cat), and the vet suspected possible bowel cancer as well.

We are lucky where we live in that we have a wonderful veterinary practice (The Vet - Nottingham) that we can rely on, which is run by an amazing German vet (whom we saw yesterday).

[​IMG]

16. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Very sad for your loss.

Almightyrastus likes this.
  17. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Sorry for your loss :(

18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Arranged for a plasterer to redo my studio today, spent all weekend getting **** moved and the walls stripped and planned for new carpet and furniture ready to be back online for the end of the week.

He caught the flu over the weekend.

19. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Aw man, sorry to hear that. :(

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Never in my life have I had so much come out of one hole.