1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Classic Shell developer leaves the project, opens the source

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 5 Dec 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sad to read that the developer is calling it a day as i use Classic Shell, mainly to fix some long standing bugs with Windows Explorer.

I guess if you're a developer of something like CS that ties into the way the OS works having to deal with twice yearly updates that may break something leaving you with having to rewrite half your code can't be much fun.

3. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Is that a new flavor of source code kids write these days?

4. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

A pity that, hopefully the community will be able to keep it alive. For me, it was my first port of call after installing Win10 and hearing the wifes' reaction of "Ooh, I don't like this, where is everything, no, change it back!" I installed Classic Shell, and didn't hear a peep from her after that (at least, not about the interface anyway)...

goldstar0011 likes this.
  5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

He will be missed. He did more to keep Windows alive than Microsoft has. The fact that there is such an insanely popular add on just to un-*uck what they did should have told them something.

6. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I'm all for choice and mods, but I can't help think that it's some fairly hardcore Ludditism to claim the the Windows 10 start menu as it is now isn't better than what was available in XP-7. The traditional programmes menu (that a lot of people didn't like MS burying) is now right there front and centre. Then next to it you just have a place to pin shortcuts and stuff on the right, and direct links to power/settings in the left

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

No doubt one or more of our esteemed members will along shortly to compalin about how they wish it were still 1999.

8. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Meh. Start menu was always a ghetto hackjob anyways. Bring back Program Manager!

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Bring back X-tree Gold! -and quit re-installing crap I disabled. -and you can f-off with all the invasive popups already. That by itself made XP the go-to for machining.
    If you don't like me being a Luddite, you can call my '90s-era flip phone to complain. -Just don't text. It doesn't do text.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Hear hear! XTG was tops. I still have a soft spot for dual pane file managers even now - I was using muCommander then Forklift when I was unfortunate enough to have to fight a macOS machine.

11. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Fond rose-tinted memories of Directory Opus on the Amiga ^.^

Tags: Add Tags