1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Thinking of going back to Windows 7 - what do I need?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pete J, 14 Sep 2017.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Hi all,

Windows 10 is getting to the point of really effing me off. The ONLY reason I've got it is for the better gaming performance, but recently I've decided to pretty much stop gaming altogether aside from Star Citizen, which I know runs just fine on Windows 7. DirectX12 brings nothing to the table and I am getting fed up with my settings being changed each time there's an update. There's also the fact that I run four systems with Windows 10 on (two PCs, a laptop and tablet) and all of them have different behaviours and problems.

Anyway, the last time I tried to install Windows 7, I remember running into problems downloading the last updates for it. Does anyone have any advice for doing a fresh Windows 7 install in today's apocalyptic Windows 10 world?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Don't try to tell me how much better Windows 10 is compared to Windows 7, because it's not.

P.P.S. Also, I kept my original Windows 7 disks and licences (bought fresh Windows 10 licences), so no need to 'downgrade'.

2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I believe that Windows 7 has a persistent habit of upgrading itself to Windows 10 - you will need to disable this (there should be programs that do it), probably wouldn't hurt to block access to any microsoft IP address anyway.

Since you're not doing a lot of gaming have you considered upgrading to Linux? It's far less **** than any windows.

3. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I love windows 10 but the constant updates every time I come to a machine that hasn't been used in say 2 weeks is absolutely doing my head in.

Was sat at my media machine for 20 minutes last night before I could use the blooming thing.

And the constant hiding of shortcuts to control panel every update is getting very boring!

The windows update problem was fixed a while back in W7, for around 2 years it was broken where it would take ages for the first updates to go through, doesn't happen now.

Wonder how many billions of hours around the globe computer techs lost to that "bug".

4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I think, not sure, but I did a reinstall after the offer had expired and it didn't mess me about. I did it from my original retail disk and just let it do its thing.

5. creative

creative 500rwhp

just did 10 computers for the office all running w7. Had major issues with everyone on the updates. Ran WSUS updater first as soon as the OS was installed and they all updated without issues then. W7 will not update on the new generations of CPU. It will install but will fail on everything else. I had to put W10 on that machine as it was the only one with a kaby lake cpu.

Non of them ask about upgrading to W10 either.

6. silk186

silk186 Derp

Why don't you adjust the update settings instead of using an outdated version of windows that is outdated and will have an increasing number of updates.
    It has a few settings to delay updates. I'm sure business set up some kind of delay to avoid the potential for buggy updates and related issues.

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yup just disable updates and get on with your life, no point going back to 7, just choose when you want to update, don't see a problem.

At some point you'll probably swing back to gaming, I flip flop between gaming and not all the time.

8. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Nah, this isn't the case. I did a fresh install of 7 back in March (on a brand new set of hardware) and I haven't had anything prompting me to upgrade to 10. If you installed whichever Windows Update it was that installed the "Get Windows 10 (GWX)" program, then you would get the prompts (and if not careful, the annoying automatically scheduled upgrade to 10), but afaik Microsoft stopped offering GWX via Windows Update once the window for the free upgrade to 10 closed last summer.

So basically, if you install 7 now then you shouldn't ever have to worry about being upgraded to 10 against your will, thank the lord!

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Aye, I've never switched to W10, W7 stopped asking me ages ago.

10. stellakelly

stellakelly What's a Dremel?

I am using the windows 7 and I love it, I think no need to switch with other, but thinking of the Linux in near future.

11. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

The Windows 7 updates thing does still happen. There are patches to fix it in theory but in practice sometimes it still doesn't.

You can get an offline update tool which downloads all the updates and will install them for you with just a couple clicks. This will update it enough that new updates scan properly.

12. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

13. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

When I Jumped over to Ryzen I also jumped to Windows 10 Home x64, as per @Zoon's post - better to be safe than sorry.

Had I not gone with Ryzen I'd still be running Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

14. VladTepes

VladTepes What's a Dremel?

Windows 7 is (and therefore always will be) the BEST version of Windows.... but is not a practical option in the medium-long term due to support issues.

As you are not requiring a computer for the latest and greatest games, this is your opportunity to make the jump to Linux.

Linux does have Steam and of course not all games are compatible, but some are.
    Also many games esp older ones run successfully under WINE (windows emulator)
    Or you can setup Win 7 in a virtual machine (in Linux) if that proves to be necessary.

From personal experience I can recommend Linux Mint as a good way to get into Linux.
    The Linux Mint Forums are also very good and supportive.

I have 2 computers - both Linux and Windows. The Windows has GTX1070 etc for gaming.

My linux machine can do pretty much everything else and all of the programs I use are free.

That's my $0.02 less tax.

15. slimithy

slimithy Minimodder

I have no end of problems with Win10 too, but I need it for WoW
    If you really have no major need for using windows, I would seriously consider moving over to Linux as Star Citizen will be/is native on Linux too.
    Gaming performance isn't much different to Windows on native games either. Wrapper ports are another story though.

16. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

If it wasn't for Origin and Uplay it would be Linux all round.

17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Well, I finally went and rolled back on my 'sim' PC as I call it, and Win 7 is SO much nicer than Win 10.

HOWEVER...

I now have a problem where if I leave one or two USB devices plugged in (specifically my joystick or pedals), then Windows freexes at the loading screen. Anyone remember how to solve this?

18. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Does it make any difference whether you have them plugged into USB 3.0 or 2.0 ports? Seem to recall something about this a while back, but can't quite remember the details.

19. mushi_999

mushi_999 Minimodder

move over to linux, been using linux for years, never looked back,

but forget gaming on linux, i actually have 2 computers, my normal desktop(linux), and a gamer desktop(windows7) which i rarely use because i am not a gamer

i love linux, it's highly unlikely that i will ever go back to windows,

20. CodyWA

CodyWA What's a Dremel?

I can understand why, I personally feel Window 7 works best for me, I sometimes can't understand the Window 10 system.
    Just google go back to window 7 from 10, there are loads of results for that, and the steps are pretty straightforward.