1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Getting BIOS to show on primary display?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Guinevere, 9 Dec 2017.

1. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

So, my new build is great, fast, stable and quiet. Ticks all the boxes right?

But I can't get the BIOS to show on the main display. It's annoying.

Setup:
    Asus X370 Pro + 1700X Ryzen
    GTX 1080FE
    Displays:
    1. Dell 1440P over DP
    2. Dell 1200 x 1920 over DP (Portrait)
    3. HTC Vive over HDMI

It doesn't matter which DP ports I use, the BIOS will always show on the portrait display. If it's plugged in and off, then I get no BIOS at all. If I have the BIOS showing on the portrait and unplug the DP, it doesn't switch to the 1440p and won't even come back when I plug the second display in again.

I only use the portrait display when coding, so it'd be nice to have the BIOS working (horizontally!) no matter what display is on.

Windows is clever enough to always keep my monitor configuration correct no matter what DP ports I used. It's not a matter of port A having preference over B, it's display 2 having preference over 1 and 2 is 90 degrees out of whack.

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

So if you switch the cables around the bios still appears on the portrait?

Have you tried plugging your primary into the dvi port?

This is purely speculation butfor pre o/s stuff I have a feeling that graphics cards have their own order for primary secondary tertiary etc ports. I also think the older port technologies are checked first.

I have a similar setup to you and had a similar problem that was solved by basically switching things around. So try different port combinations including primary on hdmi and dvi. I would definitely start with the vive unplugged though and once you get the monitors sorted plug it back in then.

Last edited: 9 Dec 2017
  3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

What theshadow2001 said, older port technologies are checked first and the first port to respond is the port that gets used, it should be DVI > HDMI > Display Port, in your situation the Dell 1200 x 1920 over DP (Portrait) is quickest, or by the sounds of it the only one, to reply to the query from the GPU.

There's probably not much you can do about it but on the off chance whats the model number of the Dell 1440P?

4. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Unless I turn on my Display Port monitor first, then my computer will only use the monitor plugged into the DVI port.
    Sometimes it's just easier to do the thing you know will make it work, rather than spending the time and effort to try to find the fault :(

5. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Yep, swapping things around makes no difference to anything. If the 24" is plugged in then it grabs the bios before anything else.

Details: My 1080Ti doesn't have DVI, just 3xDP and 1xHDMI. The 27" is a U2713HM and won't do 1440p over HDMI, so even if I wanted to swap my vive over to DP, I couldn't.

So sounds like there's nothing I can do, other than unplug the portrait 24" if I want to use the bios without getting a crick in the neck.

No biggie.

Thanks peeps.

6. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Update: It's now working quite happily on the main display. No changes have been made, it's just working how it should.
    For now at least...

7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Have you power cycled the monitors in the interim?

Tags: