1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics 2mm pitch crimp connector?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by wywywywy, 11 Dec 2017.

1. wywywywy

wywywywy Minimodder

Hi all,

Is there a similar connector to Dupont, but with 2mm pitch instead of 2.54mm pitch please?

I am trying to mod an HP Microserver, but the front panel uses a 2-row 18-way 2mm pitch connector, so I cannot just plug the Dupont plugs in.

The only one I can find is the Molex Milli-grid, which is probably what the HP Microserver uses, but the only places I can find either have a big minimum purchase or a big shipping charge (RS, Digikey, Mouser, etc). And because I only need one I don't want to spend £20 on it :(

Any thoughts please?

Thanks.

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

https://www.moddiy.com/ Not sure if this will help because of shipping. The common use for the 2mm stuff is USB3, so you can use that for a search modifier.
    Other options are hitting the local computer boneyard for proprietary parts. Dell/HP are bad about using custom form factors.
    Can you splice the wires from the original plug?
    https://www.ebay.com/i/322386948188?chn=ps
    Something like this help? You can clip to the size you need with a razor, and the plastic can be fused with acetone to make a double layer connector.

Last edited: 11 Dec 2017
  3. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I was under the impression that USB connectors used 2.54mm housings?

I buy connectors and pins from Proto-Pic. I've had a quick look and can't see anything obvious but there may be something on there that'll meet your requirements

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@Big Elf - Someone on the dev team decided 3.0 was a big enough change to merit using a different header. I'm betting he invested heavily in magnifying glass manufacture too.
    -Guy currently suffering with making a USB 3 front panel.