1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete ⭐ Achromodic - Mod of the Month | July Nominee

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Boddaker, 7 Dec 2017.

1. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Hey guys, I present to you my next mod project: Achromodic! As the name implies, this mod will be totally devoid of color. I've always tried to do something new for each and every mod, and I recently realized I've never done a black and white theme. And with all the RGB craziness going on these days, I thought it would be fitting to go completely off the technicolor reservation for this project. :)

Cooler Master was kind enough to send me their flagship case, the Cosmos C700P, along with an 850w PSU as well as their new AIO Liquid Maker 240 watercooling kit! :)
    [​IMG]

CM has partnered with ASUS and ROG, and they've supplied the motherboard and GPU:
    [​IMG]

Zadak511 also joined in, and sent me this awesome kit with RAM and an SSD:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a shot of the Liquid Maker 240 kit.. This has everything you need to put your CPU on water, and it's not hermetically sealed like an AIO would be, so you can add blocks or swap out components at your liesure!
    [​IMG]

For the design, I wanted it to be sleek and elegant, as an exotic supercar would be, but with some organic touches thrown in. So the case will be a majestic white with black chrome accents, and then some random webbing will be incorporated into the panels here and there. Should look pretty cool when its done! Here's a concept rendering I pieced together in Photoshop..
    [​IMG]

One thing I wanted to do was have a see-through center on this case. The side panel is smoked tempered glass, and it's interchangeable with the other side, so I ordered a second glass panel so you'll be able to look through the case, even when the doors are closed. :) The motherboard and GPU will be supported by the organic webbing in the center of the case, and all four interior walls will be lighted panels. So in theory, the hardware should be easily visible through the smoked glass doors. We'll have to wait and see!

Thank you Cooler Master, ASUS, ROG, and Zadak511 for allowing me to get creative once more, and hopefully end up with a beautiful showpiece. :)

Work is already under way, so the first update will be posted shortly.. but here's proof of work started, to validate this as a work in progress:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 18 Sep 2018
  2. Boddaker

I started out gutting the case and taking measurements.
    [​IMG]

Then I was off cutting and bending some steel sheet to make the flanges that will be mounted on each side of the case.
    [​IMG]

They simply mount to the side rails like so..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After making all the flanges for both sides, I mocked up the center pieces with cardboard, which will later become lighted acrylic panels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next step will be making corner reinforcing pieces that will connect them all together, so I'll have two identical side flange assemblies.

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

SWEET!New Bod build! One possible next project I drew used the suspended motherboard concept too. :worried: -You scare me sometimes.
    You may have picked the next big trend too: Instead of RGB, next year we will have black/white LEDs! :lol:

4. Boddaker

lol I'd like to see (or not see) what black leds look like.. so if you turned them on during the day, the whole room would go dark? :p

Dr. Coin and Arboreal like this.
  5. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

If find some of black LED I'd like to get some too, be great as a revers night light.

Looking forward to seeing how the web turns out.

6. Boddaker

Hey Dr. Coin.. the webbing pieces should be real fun.. Was going to print them, but they are kinda big so I opted to get them laser-cut from acrylic.. I'll just have to round all the edges by hand. Shouldn't take too long with a small router bit and a dremel. :)

7. Boddaker

Making some corner braces to connect all the flanges together.. made a paper template, cut them out of some galvanized steel scrap, and bent them to fit.
    [​IMG]

Using my spot welder, I tacked them in place while the flanges were on the case, so I was sure they will go back on after taking them off!
    [​IMG]

Once all four sides were connected, I removed the flange assembly from the case and added more spot-welds.
    [​IMG]

Love this thing.. it's quick and way better than using fasteners, if you're sure you won't be taking anything apart anytime soon lol.
    [​IMG]

The corners will be smoothed over on the front side with body filler, then primed & painted.

Work continues!

8. Boddaker

Decided to make a window in the front panel of the case to view the reservoir, which will be filled with Primochill's amazing new Vue fluid. :D

So the first thing I did was draw up a cutting template. I basically let the shape of the CM logo define the opening.
    [​IMG]

After using the cutting wheel for the straight lines, I drilled out the remaining curved areas with a small bit.
    [​IMG]

Once the hole was cut, I deburred and sanded the opening so I could add a strip of ABS around the edges for a nice clean finish, and give thickness to the panel.
    [​IMG]

A view from the front so far..
    [​IMG]

And then after rounding the edges and sanding the entire panel..
    [​IMG]

Finally, a shot with the reservoir. Now that I know where it needs to be, I can fabricate a nifty mounting bracket for it. And thanks to the C700P's interchangeability, there's no shortage of screw holes to utilize!
    [​IMG]

Hopefully I can wrap up the res mounting this week, as well as a slight modification to the PSU mounting area. (the PSU is in the same place, just set a bit lower to maximize the space.)

Dot_Kappa likes this.
  9. idpcmods

idpcmods Minimodder

cant wait to see this flesh out ;)

10. Boddaker

I'm back! Been doing a bit of modding here and there, but nothing exciting really to report until now..
    I finally received some laser-cut goodness from Primochill: Interior light panels, motherboard tray, and a few other items. :) I wanted to do something a bit different for this mod, so I came up with a web-like pattern that has a random, organic look to it.

The light panels will make up the interior walls, and are cut from 1/8" frosted acrylic.
    [​IMG]

The motherboard is 3/8" acrylic, as it will support most of the hardware.
    [​IMG]

I couldn't wait to get into the garage and see how all this will look inside the case!
    [​IMG]

Adding the motherboard..
    [​IMG]

..and a closeup shot of the top light panel with integrated 240mm fan grill.. I got doubles of all the panels in case I needed more strength.
    [​IMG]

Closeup of the back panel with a 280mm fan grill built in..
    [​IMG]

After disassembling the mockup, I immediately started in with the motherboard tray, rounding all the edges. This will give it more of an organic look..
    [​IMG]
    I'm using my dremel with an 1/8" round-over bit, and will go around the edges on both sides.
    [​IMG]

After a few hours and some cleanup, we end up with this:
    [​IMG]

Here's a close up shot. I'll be going back around to sand the tiny ridges left by the router bit, so it's all smooth.
    [​IMG]

Now it's on to give the other panels the rounding treatment. Thanks for tuning in!

11. Cheapskate

Neat. Looks like a motherboard bukkake, though. (Thanks, Wikipedia. You really do have info on everything. :D)

12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

How did I miss this? must have been when I was away. So happy to see another Bod's mod. Love how the motherboard looks, like it's barely hanging onto a load of gloop.

I almost typed goop then because Google seemed to like it. I figured it best to check first...

goop
    ɡuːp/
    noun
    informal
    1. a stupid person.
    Glad I didn't go with that then :D

13. daniduarte

daniduarte What's a Dremel?

Wow... Nice layout. Sometimes it's good to break common sense.

14. Boddaker

Someone's been spending too much time watching japanese pr0n..

Thankfully, the motherboard tray will be painted something other than white lol

15. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Now that's cool! damm that look would work perfect with my lounge gaming tables !

16. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Great work.

Thanks now I cannot unsee it...

17. Cheapskate

My work here is done. Be thankful you've never been at a get-together outside at your neighbor's mid-90s, discussing how anime taught you that the Japanese are weird, and the cross-eyed drunk guy starts yelling, "Duuuude! Bukake!!" -at 3: AM.

18. Boddaker

Thanks Defyant! Yes, this would look great along side your gaming table! :D

Thanks man :)

o_O..................I got nothing...

19. Boddaker

Another piece I designed with the organic webbing was the top fan grill. Here is the stock removable grill, with the dust screen and mesh removed. This grill lifts out of the top panel providing easy cleaning. I'll be retaining that functionality, and just integrating my web grill into it.
    [​IMG]

It's hard to tell, but the grill isnt a perfect rectangle, getting narrower as it goes towards the front IO assembly. So I had to make sure all the measurements were spot on before sending the file out to be cut.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First thing to do was to round all the edges with my router bit, just like I did with the motherboard tray. But this time I'm working with only 1/8" thickness, so great care was taken so I didn't crack any of the thin web areas.
    [​IMG]

About half way thru.. so far so good! I had to raise the whole piece up off the table so the bit would clear.
    [​IMG]

All done and sanded, with no casualties! whew..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next was to curve the wide end down so it maches the stock piece. I used a 1" wood dowel to bend the piece over, and a couple scrap shims to protect parts I didn't want heated. For heating, I used my strip heater as well as a heat gun to get an even spread.
    [​IMG]

Now that the webbing is ready to go, I need to do a little weight-loss surgery on the stock grill. First thing to go is the hex framework in the center..
    [​IMG]

Then I went around the whole piece and trimmed off 1/8" so that the webbing would sit flush.
    [​IMG]

Here's what's left of it. I had to add a new lower cross brace at the end because what little there was, was in that 1/8" area I needed to cut out.
    [​IMG]

Now the webbing fits nicely into the frame, and I can still add the dust screen underneath.
    [​IMG]

..and the frame still sets into the top panel.
    [​IMG]

The webbing still needs to be painted, so I won't glue it in permanently until that's done. On to the next task!
    Thanks for reading.. :)

20. _Prometheus_

_Prometheus_ Minimodder

Bukk... bukkake.jpg what?