1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Canonical pulls Ubuntu 17.10 over UEFI corruption issue

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 20 Dec 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

I'm on the opposite end: we should be raking Acer, Toshiba and Lenovo over the coals for this crap, not Ubuntu. Reality is that the reference TianoCore and H2O UEFIs run perfectly fine, but these vendors are mucking around deep inside it and making them completely and utterly broken and noncompliant. especially since it's always the same few vendors that have had historically bad UEFI implementations (Toshiba, Acer, non-ThinkPad Lenovo, Samsung) showing up time and time again with all kinds of self-bricking crap. I mean, come on.. it's been 7 years (and 7 generations of Intel chips) since Sandy Bridge made support for UEFI boot mandatory.. fix your firmware already (by not screwing it up in the first place)!

jrs77 likes this.
  3. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

There's plenty of proof too: Dell, ThinkPads, Asus for example are machinery I've used with not broken UEFIs. In fact, I did a full UEFI-only Linux install on a pre-Sandy Bridge Arrandale/Clarkfield-based Dell (M4500) and that went perfectly. We didn't even bother installing a bootloader or bootmanager then, cause the UEFI already did that job and it wasn't a dual-boot machine at the time!

Tags: Add Tags