1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Define R6 looks to be Winner!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mnpctech, 20 Dec 2017.

1. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

@Mosquito and I perform in-depth overview of the new Define R6

2. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Nice! Getting to the main points we noticed, still traditional "Define-series" exterior look, but chassis is new design (15mm wider)

Fractal Design Define R6 Case Pros:

*New Top ModuVent Vented Filter / Cover (3 layer design with metal isolating cover) with Push button Rear Quick Release!

*New Seamless Tempered Glass panel. Best TG panel I've seen to date. No thumbscrews.

*New 3.5 / 2.5 Tray Mounting design. Very rugged quick release steel trays and easy to mount tabs.

*New Top Removable Fan/Rad Mounting Plate with Optional Water Cool Fill port hole. First ever offered by FD, and possibly by any mass retail case manufacturer? that I can recall

*New HDD bay shroud / name plate design, can be relocated to back wall, to make room for thick front radiators.

Fractal Design Define R6 Cons: (That I rallied against, but these kept retail cost down)

*No front top cover on the PSU shroud, (Define C and Meshify has them). Mounting slots for a cover are visible, but deleted from final production. Why? "cut retail cost"

*Power supply PSU shroud is riveted. Not a real surprise, but the kool aid was tasting soo good with all the other new updates.

*New fan controller only has three PWM fan connections, but why? "cut down cost"

*New vertical GPU mount requires buying PCI-Riser kit separately for $39.99, but why? (you already know the answer)

The R6 without TG panel is $129.99. $149.99 with TG panel, which is $30.00 less than it's competitor, bequiet Dark Base 700.

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

The second I saw this, I sent an email to Fractal asking for one... :D

4. Rygel Cumberbatch

Rygel Cumberbatch What's a Dremel?

I found the video by Paul's Hardware to be one of the better ones:

My main concern with this bit is that the way the PSU shroud tapers in towards the top limits front radiator width to 147mm. 280mm radiators from most manufacturers will fit, but not Hardware Labs, which kinda sucks as the moment I saw the case, I saw a 3x HWL 280 GTS setup in my mind.

It'd be easy to mod (i.e. cut) the shroud to accommodate a wider radiator, but ... well ... it'd probably end up looking pretty crap. Or you could just drill out the rivets and remove the shroud entirely.

Still. Will probably buy the case in the next few months.

5. Rygel Cumberbatch

Rygel Cumberbatch What's a Dremel?

Unfortunately, I'm getting an error when I try to update the above post. Here's the radiator support for the case, screen capped from the Paul's Hardware video:

[​IMG]