1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete Project: Snow Silent

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by xSoMBrAx, 22 Dec 2017.

1. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

Hello bit-tech, long time no see :).
    I've been busy with life, and enjoying my current rig for the last 6 years (Little Angel!)

So with this build, I wanted to go for something smaller than what I've been using until today (Little Devil PC V8 case, which is huge!). Instead I'm going with Thermaltake View 71 case
    Will have to do some mods, main thing is to paint it white, because my idea is to do a white / monochromatic type of build, but could throw in some other color to match coolant or hardware etc, will have to check that at the last stages of the build.

Part List for New build!

Hardware:
    CPU: Ryzen Threadripper 1950x
    GPU: Zotac 1080Ti AMP! Edition
    RAM: 64 Gb G.Skill TridentZ RGB
    MOBO: Asus X399 Strix E-Gaming
    PSU: Seasonic Snow Silent 1050W
    SSD: 2x 500Gb Samsung 850 EVO
    NVMe: 1x 500 Gb Samsung 960 EVO
    No HDD, bought a NAS for storage, which I love :)

Watercooling
    PUMP: D5
    Reservoir: Heatkiller Tube for D5 + Extras
    Radiators: 2 x EKWB XE 360
    CPU Block: Heatkiller IV PRO Nickel
    GPU Block: 1 x Bikski Waterblock! (the only block I could find for the Zotac AMP! Edition)
    Barrow Fittings (Hard tubing)

Custom Parts / Extras
    MDPC Sleeving (no extensions!)

I'm still waiting for the case, which I will have within the next 3-5 days, but I already have hardware here waiting to be installed.

I will start this thread posting this pictures, and hopefully in a day or two the next parts will arrive (barrow fittings!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

Merry Christmas everyone! :)
    Time for a little update:
    Barrow fittings finally arrived! Construction quality is good! First time buyer here :)

[​IMG]

This is my "drain setup", just need to replace the first male-male to male-male rotary for 100% perfect fit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think there's more coming tomorrow :)

3. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

Got my sleeving!
    Still don't know how I'm going to do this one, but I have some options and ideas :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have also Vanilla Sands, Black and xxx white from my last build. Might end up using some of the white one :)

There you can see Carbon White, Platinum, Titanium, B-Magic Blue and some Mellow-Yellow

4. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

Update!
    Time to "open" the motherboard and add some stuff. I just installed the NVMe, to realize that the second NVMe drive, if needed, has to be installed horizontally which is a big NO for me :(

Can't imagine a hard tube loop with that thing there between everything else. Check pictures below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The motherboard looks very solid, and It's quite heavy!

[​IMG]

Motherboard is "happy" to see me, If you know what I mean...
    Looks ugly, so It won't happen :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Much better this way, under the ROG heatsink/cover
    It's possible to active cool the NVMe by printin a 3D fan mount in order to get the fan installed.
    Mounting brackets are marked on the motherboard as shown in the picture.

5. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

Good news, case has arrived!
    PSU, D5 Pump, Thermaltake Riing Fans and PETG tubes (12mm) all here :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Simply Seasonic, great built quality and performance :)

[​IMG]

Now with the fans, need to find a good spot to hide the controllers. A lot of wiring just for the fans alone because of the RGB addition, but my son loves it so has to be done :)

[​IMG]

12mm OD PETG... need to learn how to do the bends :)

6. BU5H W00K1E

BU5H W00K1E Minimodder

how are those fittings? Also why must asus do strange things with the drives. I thought what they did with boards like the ROG apex was strange but thats just different on this board lol

7. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

Fittings are really good! Haven't test them properly, but the finishing is very good. They provide extra O-rings with some of the fittings. The drain valve is very heavy, the rotary fittings work great, not at smooth as bitspower, but not worth paying all the extra cash for the bitspower.
    I recently bought a Bitspower male-male rotary adapter which was 15€, paying half the money I have the Barrow one, which, to me eye, are the exact same thing.

I will do a small "review" if you want comparing them, with pictures, measurements etc so you can see by yourself :)

8. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Nice start! I'll be watching.

9. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

Pleasure having you here!

Little update today, for something that should be almost done by now:
    Case teared apart and sent to workshop for some custom paint :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I will have the case on Monday, then I will start with the sleeving/wiring of fans - psu :)

Thanks for following.

10. BU5H W00K1E

BU5H W00K1E Minimodder

Be careful with the view 71! I’ve had to retap a couple holes already,mostly the one where the hard drives go on the side next to the mobo and the upper fan bracket. But besides that it’s a good case, I’m loving how us and others are all using the case it’ll be cool to see how everyone’s builds turn out.

11. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

Hey, I didn't realize that you were using the same case, when I saw the worklog title "VUE" I was thinking about NZXT, because they have the HUE lineup products.
    I will be following your progress.

So the GPU Waterblock arrived, I'm happy with the block, I didn't realize It was going to be that difficult to find a waterblock for the Zotac AMP! because of their custom PCB design, next time I might to for reference card :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have the option to use the RGB module (led strip + remote + controller) but first I will see how the lighting effect looks, I don't want to throw too many RGB stuff insid because of the extra wiring/hub/IR etc. The strip is very easy to remove, just 2 screws, so that's a good thing.

Block is very heavy, the only other blocks I have to compare are the EK GTX 680 that I used on my last build. The stains you see on the blocks are just reflections of the bedroom where I take the pictures, so nothing strange there :)
    I did not like the "mirror finish" because It has scratches all around already, maybe they should wrap it with some sort of protection film.

Last edited: 1 Jan 2018
  12. BU5H W00K1E

BU5H W00K1E Minimodder

Bykski? Ur showing me all these new brands! Some of there stuff doesn’t look to bad. Let us no how it holds up! I might have to see if anyone has used primochill vue fluid with those blocks yet

13. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

I didn't know about the brand either, but after doing some research, trying to locate a waterblock for the GPU I found a reference on reddit. Problem was that no one wanted to be the first one to order, and then share thoughts about the block, so I decided to do that myself, not that I'm going to post on reddit, but I can share that here :)

I was also thinking going Primochill VUE fluid, but I might do that later, first could use just distilled water. My current rig been runing on distilled water for almost 6 years without any issues.

14. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

Some quick pictures of the case. Will post better ones with radiators installed which I'm flushing right now! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very happy with the result, might have to do some changes, I'm seeing too much black for my taste :thumb:

15. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

Last 3 days or so been super busy with sleeving and wiring the RGB fans + controller and some other little details:
    I also decide going Push - Pull on front radiator because there's plenty of space, and to drop even more RGB because it's never too much :D
    The Riing fans are very nice, super RGB light, but the sleeving is awful, so first thing I did was change that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Remember when fans used to have 3 pins? Then 4 with the PWM, but now you get 8 pins per fan! I had to remove each pin - solder - recrimp some of them to have custom length, but It was worth the effort. (had to solder some wires in the end because I run out of pins to crimp!)

[​IMG]

Then I sleeved the USB connectors, and also the link connector to link controller 2 to controller 3 which I'm still waiting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After That I thought that Molex connector are so 80's that I would try to do my own splitter, which also required changes to original power connector supplied with the Riing Fans.
    Still added one molex connector because I decide to add my ASUS Xonar Essence STX to the build (requires additional molex power), which It's a good looking piece of hardware too!

[​IMG]

Original power connector:

[​IMG]

Changed to 4 pin to match the splitter

[​IMG]

So more updates coming soon, tomorrow will post some pictures with the radiator placement which took me some time to decide :)

16. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

Hello!
    Have some more pics to show!

RGB testing after the rewiring/sleeving

[​IMG]

RGB Party!

[​IMG]

RGB Controller placement, pic below shows front rad :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm using this clips to hold the sleeved cables into place, they also help me as a guide

[​IMG]

Today I'm going to start with power cables sleeving (PSU,SATA etc)

17. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

Slowly getting there!
    Sleeving is almost done now, first time heatshrinkless sleeving here, and I love it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Decided to throw in the Mellow Yellow as It looked beautiful! Something different, don't you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Working on the 24 pin right now... need to think about the pattern and stuff!

douglas alves likes this.
  18. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

Hello!
    Sleeving is done! Very happy with the end results, as I said before, first time no-heatshrink sleeving for me, and I think it won't be the last!
    Here are some pictures for the 24 pin :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will have to leave the project on stand by for a month or so, feels bad so close to complete :rolleyes:

19. xSoMBrAx

xSoMBrAx Minimodder

Hello everyone!
    So after a year I'm here to post final pictures... took some time to finish the build the way I wanted it.
    Specs changed a little bit (storage and GPU), will update that too :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Need to add some more shots, will do that when have some worth posting ;)

Cheapskate and HuguesP like this.
  20. anibal667

anibal667 Oh Wait!

Ole!

Very shiny build! a pleasure to have helped you a little from the distance :D