1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding 1U Switch case cutting?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Buzzons, 2 Jan 2018.

1. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Does anyone know what types of tools would be best to slice through the top of a 1U switch? I'd like to add in a couple of 120 or 140mm fans but the top seems to be sheet metal.

Are there hole saw drill bits that go through this kind of metal (I think mine are only good for wood or plastics sadly)

Thanks in advance

2. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

There are holesaws for steel, but you'll be paying 40+ currency for a cheap 120mm one. Best way would be dremel or a jigsaw.
    You could also drill the contour and file away the remaining metal. Or if the metal is thin enough you could try snips.

Also, depending on a switch you might get away without fans entirely, been running dell 5324 as such for 5 years now.

3. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

4. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Thanks both!

Xlog it's a Dell 6224 in a house so not being fully maxed out at all - do you think I could live without fans? With a single small fan in a closed cupboard it's running at 48c currently.

Big_Malc I'm sure there's a Wicks somewhere close by - that looks idea for cutting the panel! Hopefully may not need one though if Xlog's experience is anything to go by.