1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coffeelake Conjob PT2.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 6 Jan 2018.

1. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Gareth Doesn't do our reviews. This might explain the chanting i heard and all the Intel and Nvidia hoodies we have lying around though...

adidan and Corky42 like this.
  2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

B-T is one of the few outlets for reviews etc that doesn't do what they are told. That's why the YT celebs were so peeved that B-T reviewed a CPU they didn't have. All whining it wasn't fair etc.

This problem doesn't really apply to websites. Or text. It's mainly a Youtube thing.
    I don't need to read through hundreds of pages of him being slagged off to form my own opinion, thanks. I have not watched a single video of his that did not contain all of the facts I need. In fact, in one of them he specifically mentioned how Intel were sued at the end of the 90s for basically threatening their resellers not to sell AMD and if they did they would not get any more Intel stuff. Fact is? I was working for a place in London right at that time and I saw it for myself. So you can think of him what you like and I will do the same, no?

It takes a lot of experience and knowledge to truly understand everything he talks about. Mostly from needing to be there, and mostly from knowledge of the industry and how it works.

You are confusing your IFs. A locked CPU should perform as labelled on the box no matter what board it runs in. However, even *IF* it doesn't this information should be clearly pointed out and put forward but it isn't. Just like how Intel had a tech on very high end Z370 boards that artificially overclocked the 8700k at review to make it look faster than it actually is.

Historically locked CPUs have had a spec and regardless of where they are they have all ran at the same speed. However, Coffeelake completely changes that. And that's not a problem, providing you are open and honest about it and make sure that your users understand that. But they haven't been.

With Ryzen we all knew everything about it, including the caveats and bonuses within about two days. How running faster RAM really improved the performance, how running cheap RAM wasn't worth it (so you needed to factor in more expensive RAM) and so on. All forthcoming, all explained by AMD even the overclocking in Wattman was very well documented.

3. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Bit like FX chips suffered from?

4. Vault-Tec

Sort of. FX chips did not throttle. The board's VRMs did, depending on the load. If you could keep them under a certain temp and the CPU under a certain temp you were fine.

With this though it is actually a setting. Like a level the board has. But of course none of that has been explained in all of the time we have had CL. In fact, I wrongly suggested to a guy on this forum a few months back to buy an 8700, because the clocks were good ! I just hope he paired it with a good board.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

So OEMs cutting corners is intel's fault?

Of course they should and AMD's FX line should have been able to run without all but the highest end boards shitting themselves. But they didn't, because board OEMs cut corners. All intel have done is cover their own arse and ensure the chip works [for a given definition of 'work'] even when OEMs cut corners to almost circular levels. The fact the OEMs aren't fessing up and saying 'yeah we cheaped out on the board and that's hobbled your £300 CPU' isn't Intel's fault.

TL-DR: This is how your posts come across from where I'm sat.

Last edited: 7 Jan 2018
  6. Vault-Tec

Intel have enabled the OEMs to cut corners with 4 levels of CPU clocks that are all completely different. In fact, I don't blame the OEMs. I agree with Jim that it's basically Intel's way of being able to palm off crap silicon and only guaranteeing it runs at crap clocks.

7. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Well of course you blame Intel. Change the record for goodness sake, it's incredibly tedious.

8. Vault-Tec

I blame Intel for something Intel have done yes. If you don't like the music don't listen to it.

9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Actually, I regret engaging you in the first place. Carry on as you were.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Perhaps you should before forming an opinion though as then you'd understand he admits to not knowing what he's talking about.
    Sauce.
    And that there is the problem, it contains the "facts" that pander to his audience instead of presenting them in an unbiased objective manner. Putting that aside for a moment though i noticed you failed to address the point i made about how, if all the information is there as you claim, then it's not a con job, it's caveat emptor isn't it.

Indeed it does but if he spent a little more time "researching" whatever he's decided to evangelise about that week then maybe he'd sound more convincing, although i doubt he'll do that as spending 30min talking about how people don't understand multicore enhancement probably wouldn't garner the same amount of views, subscribers, and patreons as the hyperbolic titles like Coffeelake Conjob.

OK so show me where on the Intel ark database it says the 8700k or any CL for that matter will achieve a particular performance number, the fact is they state a base frequency and a max turbo frequency and that's exactly what someone buying such a CPU would get along with the included Thermal Monitoring Technologies, Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology, and everything else.

If you and AdoredTV choose to ignore information then you can't moan when people point out the fallacies in your logic and think you're not being objective.

Sorry but that's not anyones fault other than the buyer, like i said before caveat emptor, if you depend solely on YouTube videos for your purchasing decisions then more fool you, at least one of these YouTube personalities even covered the very same subject of people not understanding Multicore Enhancement (ASUS branding name).

And this is nothing new, as mentioned in ^^that^^ video ASUS have been including Multicore Enhancement on their motherboards for years, if you want to moan at anyone then maybe you should direct it as ASUS for including a feature that allows for higher all-core OC than specified by Intel.

That wasn't all revealed by AMD, far from it, most of that was discovered by tech journalists during testing.

Last edited: 7 Jan 2018
  11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

https://videocardz.com/74685/amd-zen-12nm-ryzen-and-x470-motherboards-to-launch-in-april
    Blame ASUS. :rolleyes: The entire existence of the MB industry is trying to give an edge over Intel's default offering to give you free performance. It's up to the journlist to know the system inside-out and the difference between MB and Intel stock settings in order to establish a baseline if you're reviewing the CPU. If you're reviewing the MB it's different - you leave it auto. But what do I know, eh. ;)
    All these YT channels are merely entertainers: MC's - not actual journalists. They flash up a few canned benchmarks on screen but spend the majority of the time with the camera on them and their EGO with some flashy RGB build on the side. People sadly want TLDR not real benchmarks.

And in relation to my previous post, I was close: March -> April. If they can hit 4.5G I'm all in for a new octa-core.
    https://videocardz.com/74685/amd-zen-12nm-ryzen-and-x470-motherboards-to-launch-in-april

Corky42 likes this.
  12. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Completely agree, it seems AdoredTV wanted to blame Intel for what are the failings of some YT "personalities" to check that the processor they were reviewing was running within the published specs when they ran benchmarks and some OEM systems selling poor quality systems that caused throttling.

YouTube reviewers obviously have appeal but for me personally they always seem big on words but lite on information.

14. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I loved watching them until I started working here and was shown the behind the scenes and given some info not public. I also now don't find the videos exciting as most of what is on video has been sitting on a desk a couple of feet away from me for a month.

15. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

DogeDev(Ops) living the dream. YT is for the most part an entertainment platform and for the most part the content creators there are entertainers. Obviously the entertainment side of things is going to be given priority. For some reason, higher benchmarks are more entertaining than thoroughly investigated journalism.

16. MLyons

The biggest issue for me is forgetting the info is private and nearly bringing it up when talking to people about components. Vega for example I asked a mate pre-release what he thought of it and he was like no idea don't have any benchmarks. I'm sat there like :duh:

17. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Can I be your mate? Getting some beer now.

18. Vault-Tec

We've been having the whole "celebrity" debate elsewhere. Doesn't take much these days it seems.

19. MLyons

Everyone here is friend... well most.More of a Hennessy or vodka person. I can't drink beer for some reason. Here's one for you. The new **** is a really nice *****, it also allows you to ***** ******* ********* ****** *** ********. It's also based on my favourite ***** the *****. The stars don't relate in anyway to the words. That's my leak for the day. :lol:

adidan and Vault-Tec like this.
  20. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Damn it! Seems like Gareth censored that before I could read it!

MLyons likes this.