1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals HTC Vive 2 "New Yrs Resolution" to be announced later today?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44432, 8 Jan 2018.

1. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

2. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

That's exciting!

I'll be interested to see how many GPUs can drive that experience, though...

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Cheaper not more ffs

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That was exactly my response. "Just how are they going to continue charging this much for a headset? ahhhh, release one with a slightly higher res !"

Totally ignoring the major problem with VR, and that is that it's simply too expensive.

5. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

You will probably find that this will reduce the cost of the Original Vive, and leave the new one as High end.

Saying that, Oculus is a bargain at £399 with the touch controllers, even more so when they dropped as low as £359 Pre Xmas.

Google on the other hand are trying to make a 20MP display per eye HMD that only renders what your eyes are looking at to reduce the amount of pixels rendered, to give us near human eye 20/20 vision.

(Skip to 21:00)

6. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

You don't get grumpy at £4000 TVs, you just wait for the tech to trickle down to the sub-£1000 models.

Why would you not treat VR the same way? They can't magically make stuff cheaper at the drop of a hat...

Last edited: 8 Jan 2018
    Nexxo and Guest-44432 like this.
  7. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

This is exactly what I was hoping for. I love the vive, but when playing PCARs the SDE effect does get annoying and leaves me wishing the res was higher (and wondering if I should have kept the triple screen setup)

8. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Same here, I love PC2 in VR. I'd rather have a higher res HMD, and upscale an image, than have SDE, if games get too demanding for my 1080Ti if 4k displays are lead to be true. Hopefully a wider FOV too. :)

bdigital likes this.
  9. bdigital

I am hopeful that the 1080ti will be man enough for the new resolution. To be honest, if its a real improvement in the glass then I can live with reducing the super sampling. Which in turn will give me back some performance.

So anyone know when HTC are due to be on at CES?

10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Waiting patiently for Abstergo industries VR.

11. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I believe they're due to be on at 1PM PT, so around 9PM for us in the UK.

12. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Here's what would be nice, which I think we standard a good chance of getting:

- Wider FOV, Okay we probably won't get much (if any) improvement, but it'd sure be nice
    - Higher res.
    - Less screen door
    - Really clever lenses
    - Audio strap as standard
    - Knuckles controllers
    - Lighter weight
    - Steam tracking 2.0 or whatever it's called

What would be really nice, but I predict isn't going to happen:
    - Super fast eye tracking
    - Really clever rendering optimisation that using dynamic resolution to focus detail on what we're looking at. If this would even work and doesn't make us all iccky
    - Keen price, £300 as a headset or £400 with knuckles would be quite nice. Ha ha ha
    - Wireless as an option
    - Optimal api compatibility with Microsoft 'MR', I mean why not?
    - OpenXR V1.0
    - User replaceable lenses with prescription options

Other predictions that wouldn't surprise me:
    - They'll drop the camera.
    - They'll make the camera more reliable
    - They'll have several packages to allow existing vive owners to upgrade

13. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

So how did I do?

- Higher res
    - Lighter weight
    - Steam VR 2.0 tracking
    - Wireless option

A worthwhile upgrade? I'd sure love higher res, it all depends on the cost I guess and how well different titles scale to the higher res.

In titles like Rec Room my 1080Ti only registers 30% usage so I don't think a res boost is going to hurt those with high end systems.

14. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Found a wee liveblog: https://www.roadtovr.com/htc-vive-ces-2018-press-event-liveblog/?platform=hootsuite

> O'Brien is positioning the Vive Pro as a likely choice for premium consumers and enterprise customers. He said that the Vive Pro HMD ONLY (no controllers or base stations) will be available later this year, and after that, SteamVR Tracking 2.0 controllers and base stations will be available all together in one kit.

Wouldn't get your hopes up time-wise, then! Hopefully it's not prosumer in the sense that Titan V is.

They've also got a wireless adapter coming, and their own proprietary storefront. They seemed to talk a lot more about those than the headset, which is also a bit worrying! However, they're about to demo it...

15. bdigital

16. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Cool, thanks for the links, I'll have a look. :)

17. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I thought I saw it was to be in Q1?

18. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Hopefully the official wireless adapter will be reasonably priced or at least bring down the value of TPCast, would love to get rid of some of those cables as I find myself turning around a lot. I've lost count of the number of times that I managed to tie my legs up with the cables. :hehe:

Not sure I'll upgrade my Vive headset this year as I think my 1070 will struggle with the higher resolution.

19. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

You're right - maybe I quoted from a liveblog entry before they said that specifically.

It doesn't seem like a mega step up, really, and it's hard to imagine it being anything less than excruciatingly expensive.

20. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I'm wondering if the resolution 2880x1600 (1440x1600 Per eye) and 615PPI is enough to get rid of the screen door effect, and whether the 10:9 ratio per eye will give anymore FOV?

8K Pimax on the other hand have two 3840x2160 panels with 800PPI and 200° FOV which sounds pretty awesome.