1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Plastic color MOD.......

Discussion in 'Modding' started by BrockGrimes, 18 Aug 2001.

1. BrockGrimes

BrockGrimes What's a Dremel?

I have a MOD for changing the color of plastic that i've carried over from my R/C hobby. BEFORE I BEGIN: I recommend you test it on something first like i did. I take no responsibility if you mess up. NOW ON TO SHOW!

I was sitting there thinking about painting my case then i was like man the plastic is gona suck to paint then i thought hey maybe i can use an old R/C MOD. I used to Dye plastic R/C car rims using Rite Dye (cloths dye). So i figured what the hell, i grabbed up an old cd-rom i had lying around and pulled the plastic off and got me a pan and water and a bottle of rite dye and put it on the stove. Bring the water to almost a boil you kow steaming alot, dump in the dye, adjust amount for color darkness, then hang the plastic in the dye CAREFUL not to let the plastic touch the bottom. i rigged up a wire cloths hanger to hold the plasic, and i let it soak for about 30 min. and TAAA DAAAAAA from beige to JET BLACK plastic and the dye job is for good it doesn't come off.

Let me know what you think also what colors you try.

2. Koolvin

Koolvin The Modfather

nice idea ;) heheh

3. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

<lazy> but spray painting is soooo much easier </lazy>

4. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

That is a damn good idea...would it work on stuff like plastic type coated metal case sides? I'm thinking it would make a painted case more chip resistant.

5. BrockGrimes

BrockGrimes What's a Dremel?

You say lazy this is easier than painting, not to mention you don't have to do any of that crazy stuff like anding or taping or anything else plus i can take my plastic off dye it and have it back on the case in less than an hour.

As far as to what extent the dye job will go, don't know i've only dyed R/C rims and the front of that old cd-rom- dying my new cd-rw very soon. I'll let you know how that turns out. If anyone trys it on something new let me know. and remember dye computer plastic was heard here first, credit where credit is due.

6. Oddball

Oddball What's a Dremel?

pics please :D

oddy