1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete InWin 509 mod - Project Purity

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Dietec, 2 Jan 2018.

1. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

A fella from a couple states over asked me to modify his computer, and I accepted the challenge! He requested a blue and white color scheme, and the ability to fit a 360 radiator on the top panel. Whatever else I do is up to me! Pretty cool of him to trust my sense of artisanisticism :dremel:

Parts list:
    InWin 509
    Ryzen Threadripper 1950X CPU
    ROG Zenith extreme x399 motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance 64GB RAM
    ROG Strix RX 580
    RS XXX RX 570
    Corsair ll120/140 RGB fans
    Custom cables by Cablemod
    Two EKWB 360 radiators
    EKWB pumps and RGB reservoir
    EKWB CPU monoblock
    Unknown GPU waterblocks, don't have them yet

This is going to be a workstation PC, he's a web developer and works from home a lot. The two GPUs will not be crossfire. I don't know why, but he seemed to know what he wanted so I ain't gonna question it :cooldude:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 2 Jan 2018
  2. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

So, this is what the inside of the case originally looked like:
    [​IMG]
    I wanted to take out that top horizontal part of the L shaped divider because it gets in the way of the radiator I want to install up there. I did however like the look of the vertical part, so I had to figure out a way to keep it in there and still have it look nice instead of a random freestanding piece of metal. I took out all the extra bits like the drive cages and optical drive tray by drilling out all the rivets, then I cut the divider at the corner.
    [​IMG]

First I tried cutting the horizontal piece in half and remounting it the opposite direction with some angle bars as support.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It still got in the way of a radiator so that was no good. Finally I just decided to take out the horizontal tray piece I made and add a single angle bar to look like the horizontal piece. It seems like it's supported and still looks good, but now I've got room for a radiator+fans up top!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The scuffs and scratches on it will be painted over before too long. I'm just happy I can keep some of this divider since it's a unique part of this case. All the cuts were done with a dremel and the fastening was done with rivets.

3. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Ive been trusting your "artisanisticism" for a long time now and it's never let me down :rock: a good start ! subbed :D

Dietec likes this.
  4. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

The fella decided he wanted his hardware modded as well, and I'm happy to oblige. Decided to paint the RAM and motherboard white to match the case (planning to paint inside of the case white). The RAM was super easy to take apart, but the motherboard took HOURS to tape off!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Waiting for the paint to dry for like 24 hours before I reassemble the heatsinks. As for the mobo, I usually use a layer of acrylic conformal coating over it before I actually add any paint. I don't think it's totally necessary since the paint I use is non conductive anyway, but I do it just to be safe I guess. Added the acrylic coat already, going to actually paint the thing white tomorrow :)
    [​IMG]

5. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

I cant wait to see how this turns out ! something i never had the balls to try but always wanted to do :D

Dietec likes this.
  6. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

Painting a motherboard isn't for me, I've never once seen it look good. And these days it's always black PCBs anyway (with a few exceptions) so I don't see the point. Paint the heatsinks and all the slots of course, but if you really don't like the motherboard then I say cover it with a sheet of acrylic like Asus's armour.

But I look forward to seeing your results, on a Zenith Extreme of all things! That's a pricey board.

Dietec likes this.
  7. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

Spray painted the motherboard while it was all taped up, then did some touchups after taking the tape off by spraying some paint into the cap and using a paintbrush with the liquid spray paint. Came out pretty nice I think, AND IT POSTS!!! Pretty excited about how it turned out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I think I'm just waiting for parts to come in. This mobo will have a monoblock on it so the heatsink I removed is fine.

neSSa likes this.
  8. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

WOW :jawdrop: that's sexy :rock::rock::rock: works perfect with the lighting man.

Dietec likes this.
  9. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

White Zenith. Holy hell that's awesome!

I think what gets me with painted boards is when the ICs and solder points get covered over too, and for me I like having that contrast. What I really want to try though is using a vinyl dye rather than paint so the actual plastic changes colour without affecting the metal parts. Of course the big questions are whether it'll actually work on the fibreglass used in PCBs and if the molecular rebonding will affect the integrity of the PCB and traces.

Still, your paint job does look sweet!

Dietec likes this.
  10. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

Thanks fellas :D

Never even heard of the vinyl dye, that would be interesting to see

11. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

Made a progress video with basically the same information as shown above.

12. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Big :thumb: for the vid mate was a good watch and well explained.

"molecular rebonding"! God that sounds like some thing i wanna do with a hot chick!

Last edited: 12 Jan 2018
    Dietec likes this.
  13. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

Vinyl dye will recolour plastic, that's the point and the beauty of it. So since you only need the top couple of microns of the plastic to change colour, you only need the top layer of a PCB to be affected in order to change it. Plus you still keep the ICs, solder points and traces because they're metal. So in theory the same would apply to redying fibreglass in the PCBs - you only need to affect the top surface of the top layer.

But I shan't derail Dietic's log any further.

Dietec likes this.
  14. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

Got the radiators, so it's time to cut a spot for them! I traced out the cut lines closeish to the window so that there would be room for wires to run behind the fan/rads to get to the motherboard. Used a 4.5" hole saw to cut the holes :grin:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm going to put a dust cover over these holes, but it looks good! I can put the fans facing up or down, don't know which I'm going to do yet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's exactly enough space between the back panel and the radiator to mount a fan so it doesn't get in the way :rock:
    [​IMG]

15. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Great start.

Dietec likes this.
  16. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

Started mounting some watercooling things in the case just to see how it's all going to come together. This water pump is huge!
    [​IMG]

And it's ugly, so I decided make a PSU shroud to hide it. I think this is the last structural piece of this mod besides a few holes for tubes and whatnot. Can finally start on the aesthetics :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Defyant Mods likes this.
  17. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Great use of the alu L bar, we are modding along the same lines atm :D

Dietec likes this.
  18. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

Made a 1/4" acrylic panel the same size as the top panel, and routed out some strip shaped holes to inlay some magnetic tape. This is going to be my modded top panel, the magnet tape being the method of attaching it to the original top panel. I want to cut out some fancy air holes, but I'm not sure what design I want the holes to be yet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Magnetic tape is held in place with 2 part epoxy. The little randomly shaped routed parts are there so the fan screws can have somewhere to live when the acrylic panel is in place above the fan holes I cut into the original top panel.
    [​IMG]

19. kim

kim hardware addict

great job with the MB painting, I also watched your vids on Utube and followed your builds, I can say I like your sense of artisanisticism :thumb:

Dietec likes this.
  20. daniduarte

daniduarte What's a Dremel?

Nice MB painting, man.

Dietec likes this.