1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Violet Evergarden - holy **** where did this come from/10

new season, new series and this flew right under my radar, some of the best animation i have imo ever seen on TV and not being familiar with the original books from 2015 I'm very interested in seeing where this series goes. first episode was genuinely charming to watch. its currently airing on netflix for those interested.

LennyRhys likes this.
  2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Bladerunner 2049 - Is that a real dog/10

Soundscape - brilliant
    visuals - brilliant
    Gosling - Meh doesn't really seem to work I get the premise of it etc but he just doesn't seem to play the role right, might just be me.

3. BigAde2072

BigAde2072 What's a Dremel?

Brawl in Cell Block 99
    Who knew Vince Vaughan could act, brilliantly brutal film, 99 out of 10.

4. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Devilman Crybaby 9.5/10

One of the biggest surprises for quite some time. I wouldn't be surprised if this is still my best of 2018 anime at the end of the year, even though it's just come out. A teenager is reunited with one of his close friends who became a professor, claiming to know and seen demons, and wants his help to get proof. Fast forward and the teenager through plot related circumstances, becomes a 'devilman', a demon with a still human heart. He plans to wage war on Demons, to stop them claiming humanity.

It's unbelievably stylish, the art style reminds me of a show called Soul Taker from many years ago. It's beautifully animated, with fast paced ultra-violent action. The cast are maturely thought out, well developed characters, and the soundtrack is just so fitting with a blend of electro and orchestral tracks. The plot is depressing and by the end, it's absolutely heartbreaking. Some of it, even for an anime, are hard to watch without being uncomfortable; at the same time, there are jaw droppingly beautiful scenes. It's worth reminding people that it's full of blood, gore, sex and generally mature themes and will not be for everyone, the average anime fan probably wouldn't like it.

Last edited: 12 Jan 2018
  5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

The Thing (2011) 7/10

As a prequel to the 1982 movie (not a remake as many people seem to think) this is actually not bad. If you're not a fan of the genre, it's probably worth a miss.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I enjoyed it, but you can't blame people for their confusion: whose idea was it to call it "The Thing (2011)" instead of something that clearly indicated it was different to "The Thing (1982)?"

7. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I watched a video about it other day on You Tube, they had names but couldn't agree on it so said just stick with The Thing as it was still about the creature, I like that idea, too many films try to re-invent the wheel when it comes to movie titles

8. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I'm not sure calling it 'The Norwegians' would have been any better.

LennyRhys likes this.
  9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Happy Death Day 6/10
    It's not that the film is terrible, it's just that it's all "been here before", and just about every other film that follows this recipe has done it as well or better.
    It's also reminiscent of Scream Queens minus the comedy.

10. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Justice League - 8/10

I enjoyed this a lot actually. Steppenwolf was a cool villain, and Aquaman turned out not to be useless. I'm not a fan of Supes (I find him to be the most boring of the superheroes), however this didn't seem like a fight they could win without him. Great stuff. Although, I am annoyed at not knowing who won the Supes vs. Flash race to the pacific coast. Hopefully this important plot point will be cleared up in a future installment.

11. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Watched the first ep last night and it looks pretty promising. The animation is absolutely gorgeous and the story looks different and interesting.

12. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Logan - Too old for this s**t/10

Ok, bad things out the way first... I understand from a movie plot perspective why they did it, but it was just too much of a stretch for me to believe that "The Wolverine" could become a limo driver and not be recognised ON A DAILY BASIS. If this was 30-40 years after the last piece of the timeline, maybe, but would people really forget how one of the guys that helped save the world (multiple times, probably) looks that quick?! The "secret" footage explaining the mutant kids origins also pissed me off, considering it was cut with obvious CCTV footage and narrated over as well - did she have time to load up Adobe Premier and do a bit of editing while on the run from bloodthirsty mercs and evil scientists? Also, F-bombs for the sake of F-bombs has never been cool, and some were jarringly out of place.

But everything other than that was sublime - It was heartbreaking to see how far the character had fallen - not even being able to walk properly or read without a struggle, let alone heal up after a fight with a few thugs. Same for Xavier, it really made it hit home that even though they are mutants with incredible powers, they are still part human too, and that part will start to fail over time (and evil scientist chemicals...). The action was immense, the hotel scene is right up there with Quicksilver's kitchen scene as one of the best in comic movie history, and Laura's character more than held her own against the grown-ups.

And yes, I cried manly tears at the end.

13. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Spiderman home coming.
    Enough with crappy reboots already / 10.

14. Xir

Xir Modder

Trolls - Aaaargh!/10
    This makes "Angry Birds, the Movie" look like Oscar material, enough said.

Valerian and the City of a thousand Planets - 8/10
    Okay, so the main character acts like he's inspired by...a mussel? a mushroom? a dead twig? I don't know what the hell Luc Besson casted this guy for, he must have had his reasons.

But apart from that, it's stunningly beautiful, there's an actual storyline, and some good humour throughout the movie.
    I don't understand why People dislike it so much.
    (Even the wife liked it, and she doesn't like SciFi)

The Mummy - 6/10
    pfffff, I liked that Tom Cruise managed to Play an unlikeable character throughout the whole movie, a feat for the old sonny Boy.
    Otherwise, the mash-up was just too much for an action flick, or not funny enough to get away with it as an actioncomedy (as were the Brandon Fraser Mummy films)

Split - 8.5/10
    Wow, now that's some of the best acting I've seen in a long time, great.
    I don't want to spoil your surprise, If you haven't seen it, watch it.

Solace - 7.5/10
    Good solid movie, missed it somehow when it was new.

Going in style (2017) - 7/10
    A hartwarming, funny movie. Something to shut off and relax, and enjoy some old, great actors

Dossier K. - 6/10
    Not bad, but really a "TV-Movie", a nice Thriller.
    appearently there's an earlier movie striing the same characters that I missed (The Alzheimer Case)

15. gupsterg

gupsterg What's a Dremel?

Spider-Man: Homecoming, just couldn't shake this reoccurring strange feeling as viewed it :eyebrow:, offspring enjoyed though.

16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Hands of Steel - Sheer 80s awesomeness/10

This is hands down the best film I have ever seen. One of those films that by the end of it, you'll put on a stone of muscle, be able to punch through walls and have women chasing after you begging for the chance to have your offspring.

I have become a better person by watching this film.

The trailer (warning: watching this alone will double the amount you can bench press):

And the film itself, if you can handle it:

Be careful - there's a scene with a LAZOR.

17. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Swiss Army Man - WTF did I just watch/10
    The strangest film I've seen in some time! 10 mins in I was ready to turn it off tbh, but I let it run and by the end I was glad I did. It really won't be for everybody but an honest score would be 8/10 for me

18. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

A weird one for sure, but good :)

19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Logan: queue up a reboot with new actors/10

Must say I wasn't expecting much but it is by far the best Wolverine based movie to date. Can't really compare it to x-men movies as the plot and feel made the mutations just secondary to the story IMO (not in a bad way).

Well worth a watch.

20. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

aw man that's space mutiny levels of awesome