1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Cannot get comms to work across PCs

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ModSquid, 13 Jan 2018.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Yo! Happy New Year all.

Bit of a tricky one, this. Previously had three of us using Discord (poorly, with differing volumes etc.) but since it wasn't perfect, we stepped away from co-op gaming. Have now come back to it and tried today to get an open channel with my bud, but everything came up short.

Attempted Discord, Skype and Steam and the issue was pretty much the same throughout. My pal got static in his headset, sometimes constantly but sometimes whenever I spoke; I got nothing from his side. Level indicators for both mic and speakers were showing input for Discord and Steam on both sides, but neither of us could hear each other. I have a Turtle Beach headset where you can hear yourself on the chat channel and I could do exactly that, so the mic appeared to be working, just not feeding his end.

I tried front and rear panel connectors from my side, he's tried two headsets and two computers from his side plus inbuilt mic/audio on a laptop and everything is the same. Has anybody got any alternatives we can use, or any troubleshooting tips, or even had a similar issue? I realise this will be a bit tough to resolve without realtime or physical access to either or both machines, but there MUST be a simple solution, even if it's to install something new and nuke current settings from orbit. This shouldn't be difficult and people do it all the time, so how to go about weeding out the issues?

Appreciate any and all assistance, otherwise we're reduced to single player loneliness...

2. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

You probably have already done this but have you checked to ensure the headset becomes default speakers and mic in the OS?
    Also check device manager to see if there is any indication of a problem with the headset there.
    Is the headset working fine in local applications such as just recording and listening to your voice with audacity or similar software?

3. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Yes, have been playing around with it again yesterday and followed the above advice. Headset became default and had level bars rising and falling, loaded up Voice Recorder and although I could record myself (suggesting the mic was working) I had immense amounts of static in the background, which of course replicated across my pal's speakers. My speakers worked with this too.

I've read around and tried unplugging the USB lead, but that results in no power at all to the headset. I've then plugged it into a three-prong phone charger adapter but still got the static. Have now downloaded the Realtek audio drivers and installed those so will see if it makes any difference when I reboot after I've done some work.

I'm thinking it might just be this Turtle Beach headset being a bit naff on the PC.

4. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

Sounds to me like you do just have a poor mic on the headset. Is this mic sounding clear with use on a console ?

5. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Yes, that's the odd thing. Console use is absolutely fine - just tested it again on the PC now and with the new Realtek drivers, I still get that annoying background hiss, plus I couldn't record myself either.