1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ Mahogany Desk by Husky Bongs [Build of the Year 2018, FINISHED]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Huskybongs, 21 Feb 2017.

1. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

If you're serious about that question you will need to wait until I'm finished. I don't know if I'm breaking forum rules here but my dream would be making these custom for customers.
    I might see if there's an interest for something as crazy as this for people out there.
    You choose what goes in. Hardware audio systems etc and the design stays the same. Thank you for the nice compliment

2. Bygone

Bygone Minimodder

What a beast that monitor truly is. Will it even be possible to open your lid when that monitor is set on a custom arm. With its depth that will be a close call if my measuring eyes are correct :).

3. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

Yes you can open the lid because of how the hinges work. They make an arc motion rather than just rotating. Hence the need to make custom hinges. My poor wallet:S

4. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

Time for some time consuming but neccecary stuff

All the harddrives and ssd custom cables have been done. Some small fixes to be made still but it's all there and it works

[​IMG]

My custom stand for it all if anyone forgot :)

[​IMG]

Not a fun cable to make:S

[​IMG]

All done just gonna tuck it a bit and the cables will flow perfectly

[​IMG]

And yeah the key ignition is up and running!

[​IMG]

5. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

Components are coming in a bit more rapidly now :)

Last night the 8 temp monitors. Had to make the weirdest cable for this. So I converted the ends from molex to 3 pin fan connectors and then rerouted a molex to not feed 12 volt (didn't realize this at first though so the monitors got some good ol' frying time:D) and theeen another molex end made for the pumps. But all in all it worked well and 10 components running off 1 cable seems very efficient and clean so I'm happy.

[​IMG]

Here's a list of what's happening and needs to be done:

-Drive to Sweden to get my chromeplated parts back (first week of february).
    -Fasten those parts and get special glue to fit the hinges to the glass
    -Redo the monitor stand and route said cables through the stand. These cables also have to be custom sleeved
    -Route said cables from motherboard to the stand
    -Get cableclamps drilled, sanded and painted.
    -Order pumps and then make custom stands for them aswell as lathe new backparts.
    -Slight remake of the top part of the legs.
    -Get the new monitor stand, legs and a few smaller parts to chrome.
    -In the meantime finish the cable work and install the watercooling.
    -Do the lighting
    -Make custom external ethernet and power cables
    -Make internal AC power splitters to power screen, ODAC and computer

So yeah there's a bit to go but I'm getting there and I have a buildfriend thank god because some of these things are not fun to do alone :)

6. Maarten/Pine

Maarten/Pine Case modder

Incredible work, amazing desk mate.

7. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

I don't know where else to ask this so here goes. A bit unrelated but would you want to see the other stuff I build? As in what goes around the table. If not here where is a suitable place for it or is it a really stupid idea since this is a computer forum?
    (I have the intention to build most of my furniture by myself, atm I'm working on a really overbuilt custom lamp etc)

Maybe Cheapskate or someone knows this:)

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Who summons the cheap- Oh, Hi.
    Man, you can post whatever you like as long as it's worksafe. My projects wander off topic all the time. The woodworking enthusiasts would probably love to see more of your work.

9. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

DUUUDE, I didn't realize you were a modder until now:) Went through your list in the signature. Thanks for the answer!

10. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

@Cheapskate = Simian Overlord aka modding genius :p When life in general permits (seriously he's one very busy guy on a good day, on a bad one there aren't enough hours in a day).

I'd love to see some more of your handiwork to :)

11. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

After 20+ years of Modding custom computer cases i found as i moved into my "modding retirement" i now mod less cases and diy just about everthing else from PC tables to Lamps to side units and anything else that i can just about diy.

So from my pov i'd be more than keen to see anything you build :D

Many of the ppl who take the time to follow and post in your threads are "modders" some actually even post projects right here along side your own and all the other forums.

12. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

Oh I'm aware of that maybe not just how modding heavy this crowd is. But thanks for the answers everyone I'll slip in some other stuff in the future:)

13. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

Got them cableholders done. Had to outsource the drilling because it was so incredibly tight. Needed 4 mm drilled holes straight through 5 mm of steel. They're ready for paint now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty happy with them but it was too tight. Next time I'll get some more margin to work with

[​IMG]

I got 8 of them

[​IMG]

14. Cheapskate

They came out great. You can mill out a perfect start hole, only to have the tiny drill bit decide to curve and go out the side, so you did well.
    Oh, Yeah... I keep forgetting to update my image links. :worried:

Edit: OK, I just re-linked 90% of Gwass Gween. Have fun.:D I'm pretty certain I can get the rest linked before you get half way through that log.

Last edited: 11 Feb 2018
    maped, kim and Huskybongs like this.
  15. kim

kim hardware addict

" I just re-linked 90% of Gwass Gween " :rock::rock::rock:
    :clap::clap::clap:A big thank to you for re-linking your old mods pics, I know it's a hell of a job so bravo...I love to follow your mods, and as many old threads from the previous years, it's such a pity when we can't see any pics :waah:
    wish other modders would do the same effort

16. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

Well I got a huge update coming in 2-3 weeks but here's a sneakpeak:)

This is what will become the new screenholder for the 49 inch samsung. And jesus christ it was hard to find someone willing to bend a 60mm pipe to my specifications. Had to travel quite far to get this done, wasn't cheap either:S Props to Mikael for the welding.

[​IMG]

17. Cheapskate

Gah! You woke me up. :lol: Looks good.
    Here it would have been a matter of hopping the half mile between muffler shops until you found someone smart enough to use the bender.

18. Cristianodanna mod

Cristianodanna mod Minimodder

19. Sn00k3r

Sn00k3r What's a Dremel?

Loooove that Retro-alike Design :cooldude: Hope you'll go with the 49" Samsung Screen, would fit perfect into the whole project;)

20. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

Thank you and yeah the stand is specifically made for the 49 inch samsung