1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Overclock to identical cards not applying correctly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fantus, 14 Jan 2018.

1. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

So, this is strange one: I have two GTX 1060's and a GTX 970, attempting to apply a 75% power limit on all of them. The 970 applies correctly with no issues at all, in any pci-e port on my motherboard. However, one of the two GTX 1060's will not apply the limit if both are installed in the system. No matter where I place them the first of the cards will always run at at 100%, despite appearing to be set with the limit.

By first of the cards I mean the following:
    I have a P8P67 Pro with 3 pci-e ports, labeled as 0, 1 and 2. The 970 can be in 0 and the 1060 in port 1 will not apply the limit. The 970 can be in port 2 and the 1060 in port 0 will not apply the limit. I can 'separate' the two 1060's with the 970 in port 1, and the 1060 in 0 will still have problems.
    Take one of the 1060's out and the limit will apply no matter where the card is placed, regardless of where the 970 is. The result is that the card without the limit is running at 89c while the other is at 68c.

As of yet, I haven't tried with the 970 out but I will do tomorrow evening. I've purged drivers with DDU and run several OC utilities (Afterburner, GPU Tweak, EVGA) with no difference.

This has me stumped.

Edit: Probably should have put this in Tech Support. Sorry.

Last edited: 14 Jan 2018
  2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Have you checked the firmware on the two 1060s?

4. Fantus

I wouldn't really know what I'm checking for with GPU's. The firmware is identical on both and flashing an alternative BIOS had crossed my mind. The only issue is that I couldn't find something that looked like it would be compatible (and I've never done it before). They're a pair of these: https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/PH-GTX1060-3G/

I'll have a look at this tonight. I suspect that it is something along the line of the commands not being sent correctly or to the right card. The issue always being with the first 'logical' card would back this.

5. Fantus

If I take the GTX 970 out, all is happy and runs exactly as I would expect. Both 1060's apply the correct temp/power limits with no issues. I can only assume there's some driver weirdness going on with cards across generations.

6. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Running mixed cards of any generation is never ever going to work correctly, you either go paired SLi or single GPU for correct operation.