1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Recommend me a famvan

Discussion in 'General' started by Gareth Halfacree, 15 Jan 2018.

1. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

Please God, no.

I'd rather have my balls slowly crushed in a vice.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'd go for a B-Max with the 1.0 Ecoboost engine. The ~120hp engine is well within budget, and you can get the usual plethora of bluetooth, parking sensors etc and a range of good colours.

Great engine, and a clever piece of design on Ford's part.

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

There have been quite a few issues on the Ecoboost engines, not sure what date you would need to pick up to get a good one.

4. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

It's a Juke... it got the "Nissan Juke award for ugliest car"... whatever you touch with that needs to be claimed from insurance because it's got ugly on it... :p

I will happily echo this. The old A and B classes are both like glass boxes when it comes to visibility, the auto gearboxes are good, and even the smaller capacity engines (170 - tested on my Mom's old A170) have decent poke

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The smaller, uglier Qashcow. Imo the Joke/Captur [the Renault-badged one] should also be avoided.

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Sorry, I wasn't aware that when you look for a car to ferry your family around that you must care about what it looks like. End of the day it's a work horse, I couldn't give a crap.

But yeah, the B class is a stunning little car IMO. It easily had the most room and was more comfy than anything else my uncle has had. He's got some nasty Vauxhall SUV thing now it's as hard as a rock both on the interior and the ride. I wish he'd kept that Merc. It was nothing to write home about (basic cloth interior, kick ass radio though !) but it just got everything done. Even my mother who has terrible arthritis and osteoporosis (so she can't have hip/knee etc replacements because her bones are too messed up) got in and out of that thing like it was nothing. It was just *the* perfect height. Was also stupidy easy to park and so on. Lovely little car.

7. RedFlames

The fact it looks hideous is the least of it's problems. Given they're made just down the road from here there are tons of them about locally so i'm quite familiar with how naff they are to drive... and how they're equally not nice to be a passenger in [especially in the rear seats].

the Renault versions, the Kadjar and Captur are just as bad [given they're essentially the same car] but with added random bouts of 'French Electronics'.

TL-DR: Buy a mazda CX-3 or CX-5 instead.

EDIT: Not a famvan but, avoid the nissan leaf too... Again there are loads around locally [mainly council vehicles], and they only have 2 modes - charging and 'ominous black smoke'... I've yet to see one actually *move*.

Last edited: 16 Jan 2018
  8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

In defence of Renault, my first kiddy transporter was a 2008 Renault Grand Scenic 1.9DCi non DPF, bought that new much like the Meriva, pre-reg 5 miles on the clock for 12k, had it for 6yrs/100k, it was good on fuel, built well, electrics all worked, cheap 18k servicing, would do almost 40k out of set of tyres, 50+mpg, 36 around town, the only out of servicing cost besides wear and tear on tyres/brakes I had in time of ownership were pedal rubbers wore out and my daughter sucked the electronic key to death.

Based on that experience it’s one of the best cars I have ever owned or heard about from anyone I know and I would have bought the missus another Renault based on that but we needed her car to tow and the tow limits are poor on French cars and of course all new engines have poor emissions control crap like the DPF or stupidly small capacity highly boosted crap petrols.

Mine was so good, some friends followed me down that route too and have had similar experiences.

9. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

The Nissan leaf is a solid little performer in the EV market, and for a reason. Not suitable for the OP in the slightest but I've driven one and there's nothing wrong with them! Our office had one for years and it didn't catch fire once.

10. Krikkit

If the recalls have been done, all sorted now.

Budget would get one still under Ford warranty, and well-specced. e.g. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201711071036583

11. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

We picked up a 2016 B-Max in mid-December. although ours is the 1.5 diesel, as a few people mentioned to me that the ecoboosts have terrible MPG.

I really like the slidey doors, and I'm still slightly uncomfortable with the push-button start, but it's nice to drive. bit more space than a fiesta (as it's taller), but similar size as I think it's a fiesta wheelbase -> good for parking.

12. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I've driven a grand C-max and the slidey doors seemed like they'd be ace for dealing with child seats and car parks.

I've never paid attention to the economy of the ecoboost but from what I've read, you can get eco out of it, or boost, but not both.

13. Krikkit

I've had an easy 45 out of both a Fiesta and Focus with the 120hp engine, not hanging around either.

Obviously might drop a bit in town, but if you do minimal miles what does it matter?

14. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, I think you can get too hung up on economy but if you're doing hardly any mileage then it's not actually that important.

My Fabia never averages more that 45mpg out of it's puny 1.2litre 70hp 3-cylinder but it doesn't matter because it's only done 25,000 miles in 7 years :D

15. Krikkit

May as well sell it and get a V8! I did 34k last year, thankfully all about to change though.

16. Matticus

Matticus ...

Have you considered a Subaru? Legacy (or Legacy outback), Forester, or even an XV? Subaru's hold their value so aren't the cheapest to buy or great on the fuel economy, and unless you get something with a turbo they aren't too quick either. But they are safe as anything and pretty bulletproof.

I personally think the last 5-6 years of Legacy models don't look great (2003-2009 Legacy 3.0R Spec B estate is probably the peak for UK models :happy: ), but Foresters and XV look alright.

17. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Sorry G for the derail, but I'm with @ElThomsono here. I've had a (Gen 1) Leaf since 2011, and it's not caught fire once, never let me down, got me to France and back, been lots of fun, and generally a wicked good little car. It's totally unsuitable for what Gareth wants, but it's a truly brilliant wagon. Would recommend. I've even got a proper charging point on my drive.

In terms of a suggestion for a famvan, I'd be minded to agree with the Ford recommendations, or a Volvo. You can probably even pick up something like an XC90 fairly cheaply now to be honest, and that's as spacious as you're ever going to need...

18. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

One last question, if I may: I've never bought a car except with cash, and the finance stuff is confusing. There's Hire Purchase (HP), which is your pretty standard "we'll lend you the money and you pay us back with interest," and there's Personal Contract Purchase (PCP), which is "we'll lend you the money and you pay us back with interest, except if you actually want to keep the car at the end of the process you'll still owe us humpty-tumpty pounds on top."

That I understand. What I don't really understand is the APR: why would I go for HP or PCP at 7-percent-plus APR, when according to the Money Saving Expert Loan Checker I'm 90% likely to be approved for a 3% APR loan with Sainsbury's Bank? Is the HP/PCP stuff there purely for people who can't get an unsecured personal loan, or is there another reason to take it?

19. RedFlames

Tax? If you use the car for business iirc you can claim leasing costs back from the tax man.

20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not an option for me, sadly: I divnae drive. This is purely a family car.