1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Tenpin bowling, anybody else do it?

Discussion in 'General' started by Maki role, 28 Feb 2017.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Sounds like you're improving Alex :)

Good shout on 15lb too mate. I guess your arm strength is building too :)

2. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

I just couldn't get on with fingertip. I don't hook at all, just fast across the headpin if lanes are crap or in the right pocket if the lanes are decent.

3. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

It's a long slow road haha. I think the weight is mostly down to improving technique, having a better release and grip just makes the weight feel like nothing haha. Still hard to believe a few months back I would be using 10lb house balls, they feel like toys now in comparison.

I can see how that could happen, fingertip almost didn't work for me at all. For the first few weeks it just caused massive pains in my thumb to the point where I couldn't even bowl. Was having to switch to two handed so as not to aggravate it. Went to my PSO and described the problem, he asked me to come upstairs to the lanes with him and he solved it in 20 minutes. I'm not a really high rev rate player though, have to play fairly out-and-in to get a good consistent hook.

4. Vault-Tec

It's happening without you noticing because you're enjoying the bowling. Working out is nowhere near as fun and doesn't come with much pleasure really, unless you're a bit of a meat head and enjoy it for the endorphin.

When I used to bowl 3 games a day my right arm was far larger than my left lol. Totally Popeye.

5. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

fnarr fnarr :)

6. Maki role

Ahh but my youngest brother jumped from 10lb to 14lb a few weeks ago, he can handle it fine and he's 14 (and he's not shot up yet, is still very much a minnow haha). I do normally go to the gym anyhow, not that anybody would notice :hehe:

That said, there's definitely something rather satisfying with being able to get through 10-12 games in an evening without tiring or aching.

7. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Don't need to be strong for the weight. Its abut the momentum you are comfotable with. 16lb is nothing really.

8. Maki role

Picked this up last week, a Storm Lock 15lb. Should fill my need for a heavy oil performance reactive ball. It's a true monster on the lanes :eek:

[​IMG]

9. Zak33

Zak33 Staff Lover of bit-tech Administrator

i once was ok... but my recent visit to the alleys showed rampant lacks of skill and pure rubbishness ;)

that balls looks lovely!

10. Maki role

Clearly the lanes' fault :hehe:

11. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Nothing worse than inconsistant lanes, especially when league bowling !

12. Zak33

Zak33 Staff Lover of bit-tech Administrator

no ...it was utterly EBBAL

Error Between Bowler and Lane

i was just pooh

GaryP likes this.
  13. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Like you said it was CLEARLY the lanes fault.

14. Maki role

Well after all this time I finally broke the 200 barrier, was starting to lose hope a bit but it feels good to know at last I can't do it. Now I can only hope it's not another year until it happens again haha

image1_small.jpg

GaryP and Guest-56605 like this.
  15. Vault-Tec

Awesome !

I know you were joking about lanes back last summer (as a joke) but I remember when they oiled them it really affected my bowling. Mind you, that was the USA where they really looked after their lanes.

16. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Sweeeeeat Alex!!! :cool: :D ;)

17. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Brilliant... especially after the crap first ball !!!!

Well done.

18. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Maybe we should sort out a bit-tech bowling trip

Vault-Tec likes this.
  19. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

We just got a brand new lane in this part of the world late last year, and I've been a few times.
    I keep getting progressively worse (90's down to a downright embarrassing 48 in the last game). That said - it's far from serious, and we only play for funsies (and with the pricing here, you can't afford to play more than 2 games at a time)

20. Maki role

The oil makes such a huuuuuuge difference. At my centre the league lanes are always oiled much more heavily than the open bowling ones, the game is just so much more interesting on the oiled ones

Haha cheers fellas

Sounds like a plan

Bowling is so often way too expensive :/

The only way I can bowl as often as I do now is by going at weird hours for deals and by being part of a league. It's hard to strike the right balance between cost of the lanes (and having enough of them) and the other breadwinners. Usually they'll make their money from the food and drinks, but you need quite a few lanes to get enough people in to make everything affordable if starting up. All the smaller boutique bowling bowling places in London are like £8 per person per game or more, plus with no space for proper competitions etc.

Tags: